Training with a Side of Espionage, Sofia
Dason Archer
 Posted: Mar 21 2018, 11:29 PM
Fortis
twenty-nine AGE
84 POSTS
Damocles
CLASS 2

The moment he met Sofia Mantega with her millions of questions. He had known that she had potential. Now, he wanted to see that potential before he brought up a proposition that he had. It was why he'd left a note for her on her desk to join him for a training session in the afternoon. Dason wanted to see these powers in action. He needed to make sure that she was capable of taking care of herself just case they were caught in a situation where he couldn't shield her. If she showed him that she could handle things, he would think about letting her tag along so that he could train her in the field.

There was going to be a lot of paperwork, but he didn't care about that at the moment. Dressed in sweatpants and a tank top that showed off his muscular form, he stood in the training room waiting for Sofia to show. He always showed early for things, and he was hoping that she'd gotten his note. Dason should have probably made sure to hand it to her in person, but he hadn't thought about it until that moment. What if she didn't show? Well, he'd figure that out if he waited here for an hour.

Dason glanced at his watch. It wasn't time yet and he was getting impatient. For the right things, he could patient. Assignments and missions were those types of things. Wanting to test out powers especially when it could help him learn his own limits, well, he was not so patient for that. Still, he was excited to get the ball rolling. It was why he started to stretch to make sure he was limber. If her powers were anything like he thought, he figured he'd be flying a lot. Luckily, he wasn't as breakable as some people.

PM
^
Sofia Mantega
 Posted: Apr 2 2018, 04:06 AM
Wind Dancer
twenty AGE
223 POSTS
Damocles
CLASS 4

Today could have been a rough day for Dason, if Sofia wasn't so impatient diligent to pass everything required of her. She'd been on her best behavior..well, Sofia felt that she was always on her best behavior, but she heard the word 'stubborn' several times over. She had ingratiated herself quite a bit in playing peacemaker, of all the things. Sofia's personality lent itself well to smoothing ruffled feathers of local law enforcement. It had all come about quite accidentally, but that wasn't important!

What was important was that several agents now preferred to spare themselves a headache and would take her with them. This technically wasn't active field work, so the potential mountain of paperwork involved with having a rookie tag along for work was absent. Win win. You'd think that the agent-in-training would be disappointed, but not so! Sofia wasn't necessarily the aggressive type. Her wish for field agent status was more so the hovering would stop. Making sure that no one on the same team strangled each other before they could catch the bad guy was fulfilling enough. She wondered if that could be a job? Agent in charge of..peacemaking?

In any case, the young woman had been speeding off when she noticed something out of place on her desk. Not that she had the hyperawareness or OCD of some agents, and certainly not HR, but she did notice things. Like the note on her desk that was in a handwriting clearly not belonging to her. The fact that it had been secured with a stapler was strange to her, but rather smart on the writer's part. The way Sofia tended to zip about, for sure a lightweight note could easily be knocked off the desk or buried. Better to draw attention to it and weight it down with her brightly-colored stapler.

Second blessing for Dason - Sofia was a curious creature. Rather than leave it for later in favor of what she already had planned, as some others might, she immediately picked it up.

===

A blur of black and honey fairly flew into the training room, shouting "Here, I am here!", presented the Venezuelan mutant Dason had been seeking. She was a little disheveled from virtually flying in here, but she hadn't wanted to be late. She was abuzz with excitement and curiosity. Sofia hadn't thought Agent Archer would actually want to take time and train her as he'd mentioned at their first meeting. She thought he was just trying to encourage her. "So what are we doing? Are you going to teach me hand-to-hand?"

Tag @Dason Archer
PM EMAILAOL
^
Dason Archer
 Posted: Apr 10 2018, 09:54 PM
Fortis
twenty-nine AGE
84 POSTS
Damocles
CLASS 2

There he was waiting in one of the training areas to see if Sofia would really show up. He was pretty sure he'd made the mistake of just putting the note on her desk instead of making the date himself in person. She'd seemed rather busy as of late. Not that he minded. The brute was sure that she was enjoying her time away from the desk. Still, he'd probably wasted enough time. Just as he was about to leave, there she was flying through the door. It almost amused him to see her looking a bit disheveled with that excitement lighting up her features.

Dason nodded his head as she asked if they were there to train in hand to hand. "I thought we could run through some exercises and see how you handle yourself. Don't worry I'll be here to help if you're doing something wrong. Plus, I might need to trigger a couple of responses in your abilities if you don't mind. I just need to see some things. It'll make training a bit more effective." This would also help him make his decision if she was ready to actively go out into the field with him on an assignment. No doubt there would be a ton of paperwork involved, but he was willing to do it so that Sofia could get a taste of what being a Damocles agent really was about. The policing of dangerous mutants and breaking up things that shouldn't be happening.

"Do you need a breather before we start? Did you fly all the way over here from your desk?" It wouldn't surprise him if that was the case. Sofia had seemed very intent on training. Dason just hoped that she was as promising as she seemed. The brute was trying to think of where to begin. Maybe he should start with the basics though she was sure to know that. "I need to see where you're at physically and skill wise. So, hit me." Dason stood in front of her with his arms at his side. "Don't be afraid to hurt me. I'm tougher than I look." A bit of humor to put her at ease.

PM
^
Sofia Mantega
 Posted: May 7 2018, 04:24 AM
Wind Dancer
twenty AGE
223 POSTS
Damocles
CLASS 4

It looked like she had arrived in time. That was a big relief as she didn't want to send bad messaging by arriving too late. Granted, the energetic young woman probably would have turned to hunt the man down if she had come to late. Oh, she'd be quite apologetic, but a hunt would surely commence. A blunt one where she peppered everyone she saw with questions until she got what she wanted. Sure, that wasn't the ideal methodology if you were on an actual case. Discretion was best. However, this was the office and anything was fair game in that case if you asked her. And since was the one doing the hunting, you had to be asking her.

Confirming that they'd do some hand-to-hand, Dason said that they'd run through a few exercises and see where she was at level-wise. Well, she could save him some trouble and say that she was at the beginner level, but he was probably looking for something a bit more specific. Beginner for formal training with some - what was it? - street shots? Cheap shots? Something about instincts or habits she picked up from what she saw while living in less-than-savory areas. Nervous, but eager, Sofia nodded to his plan. "Well, I am better at evasion," making herself scarce, "than actual fighting, but I will do my best."

"[...]Plus, I might need to trigger a couple of responses in your abilities if you don't mind. I just need to see some things. It'll make training a bit more effective."

Trigger? She wasn't sure what he meant by that. That could mean that he would do things to get a particular reaction. "Are you going to throw things?" Maybe he would try to knock her out of the air, or force her closer. That sounded somewhat intimidating, but she would just deal like she always did. Sofia knew that she wouldn't make it very far in Damocles by shying away during training. She would just do what he asked and do her best at it. That would have to be enough. He said that he wouldn't be injured by her and Sofia believed him, so she felt more comfortable not being overly paranoid about causing unwanted damage.

"Do you need a breather before we start? Did you fly all the way over here from your desk?"

She flushed slightly, moving to re-restrain errant locks in a ponytail. "...is it that obvious?" She /had rushed over here. "I was not sure when you left the note, so I worried that you would be gone if I did not hurry."

"I need to see where you're at physically and skill wise. So, hit me." Sofia's dubious look was easy to see. "Don't be afraid to hurt me. I'm tougher than I look." It wasn't necessarily that she thought she would hurt him. Dason wanted her to physically swing at him. In fact, Sofia, based on her interpretation of his description of his powers, was quite confident that he'd be just fine. Her main concern was what he'd do afterwards. When she first got here, her instructors seemed really fond of flipping her over her head, spinning her and then tripping her, holding her arm in a lock and squishing her - you know, various things that ended with her on the ground with her and wondering what had happened. Oh, she had improved since those first days of course. But her back and butt remembered every lesson very well.

If she went too lightly though, he'd definitely get her. Probably extra rough for not taking it seriously enough. Her eyes tried to pick out a suitable target, but the first place that came to mind was probably one that Dason would be highly unappreciative of...as well as any future generations of the Archer family. This is probably what they meant by street--no, cheap shots. She didn't know why it'd be a bad thing to do. It seemed perfectly reasonable and effective to her, but fine. After a moment or two, Sofia braced herself --Pleasedon'tflipme, Pleasedon'tflipme, Pleasedon'tflipme and went for a sharp jab to the liver area. In classes, they said even the most solid builds had tender points. The problem was actually managing to hit that exact point and how hard the hit was. Also, since mutant were involved, you had extra crap like physical imperviousness to strikes, healing factors, pain dulling or negation, and being built as a literal military tank. Looking at you Juggernaut.

Tag @Dason Archer

This post has been edited by Sofia Mantega: May 7 2018, 04:24 AM
PM EMAILAOL
^
Dason Archer
 Posted: May 7 2018, 05:09 AM
Fortis
twenty-nine AGE
84 POSTS
Damocles
CLASS 2

It'd been his hope that he could prepare Sofia for any assignments in the future. There was also personal gain from this because if he felt she was ready, he might be persuaded to bring her in on his future assignments. A rookie would require a lot of paperwork, but he was willing to do it. Dason might have been rough around the edges, but he knew that a rookie wasn't going to get experience without going into the field with an experienced agent.

Luckily for him, she had shown up as he looked at his watch. The disheveled look kind of suited her as he gave her a moment to catch her breath. The excitement seemed to vibrate off her as she asked if they were going to do hand to hand combat training. A smile coming to his lips as he confirmed that was the reason they were there. "I know you will, Sofia, it's why I brought you here. You can't learn if you aren't given the chance." There were other things he planned to do during the session. He gave her the hint, but he wouldn't reveal anymore until it was time.

Her question of if he was going to throw things made him laugh. "We'll get to that later. For now, we'll focus on the hand-to-hand stuff, yeah?" He wanted her relaxed though alert. If that meant letting her have a breather, he'd do it. "I mean you did kind of burst in here like a hurricane. So just a bit obvious." It would be easier to teach her if her mind wasn't on what was to come. Dason wanted her to focus on the task he was giving her at that moment which was to hit him.

It seemed she was giving it a lot of thought. Dason wouldn't have liked a few of her thoughts going through that pretty head of hers. He was prepared for whatever she threw at him. The brute had tension in his shoulders ready to release it as soon as she struck.

The movement of her fist was quick hitting his skin before his hand reached out grabbing her wrist to twist her arm behind her back and pulling her close. "That was smart. Hitting the liver would have really hurt a normal criminal. Now, tell me how you're going to get out of this?" He made sure not to keep it too tight not wanting to harm the girl.

PM
^
Sofia Mantega
 Posted: May 10 2018, 05:21 PM
Wind Dancer
twenty AGE
223 POSTS
Damocles
CLASS 4

It was a smart decision on Dason's part not to mention the full reason he wanted to do this. Knowledge that possible field time was on the line would doubtlessly affect her performance. She'd either be overly zealous, overly nervous, or some unfortunate mixture of the two. No, it was best to leave her under the impression that this was a harmless training session. And to be fair, it kind of still was. If Dason walked away feeling that Sofia wasn't quite ready, he still had options. He could work with her until she was ready, and somewhat shape his potential partner just as he liked without anyone being the wiser. Dason could also drop the idea, and continue on with occasional sessions just because. It could be like he never planned to do anything else in the first place. No harm, no foul.

She had asked if her rushing was so obvious, and he told her, "I mean you did kind of burst in here like a hurricane. So just a bit obvious." Quick (or quick to her) dashes with her powers were so second nature, that she didn't really think much about it. So focused on getting her, she kind of forgot about the typical aftermath. Since it'd been a longer path than usual, it probably loosened her dark locks more than usual. Rather, more than what could be tamed with a little smoothing. Yeah, having to redo her hair completely was a pretty solid sign that her appearance wasn't 100% neat.

She coughed lightly. "It is okay; we can proceed right now." It was fine though. This was a training session right? She'd just mess it back up anyway. Hopefully, he wouldn't try to pull it. One instructor who was particularly intent on convincing people to keep with short styles, enjoyed employing all sorts of methods to get it. Sofia, and several others, weren't moved though. She wasn't cutting her hair. She'd keep an eye on where his hands went though...just in case. No, she'd move on since she didn't know Dason's schedule. It would be better to maximize whatever time she had with him.

Predictably, he was hardly phased when she tried to hit him. To her relief, he didn't flip her or send her flying. Sofia did find herself stuck in a firm hold though, arm secured behind her back. Not painful, but she wouldn't be wiggling her way out of this either. She squirmed out of reflex, but knew she wasn't getting out.

"That was smart. Hitting the liver would have really hurt a normal criminal. Now, tell me how you're going to get out of this?"

Okay, so she would remember that what she did wasn't wrong...just not effective on him. Was she supposed to be concerned with what would be effective on him, or just something reasonable? I think if it would work on him, then it would work on most people. With Dason at 6'1" and her at 5'9", he wasn't that much taller than her. Her thoughts went immediately south again. Honestly, even if she did kick him there, would he be hurt? He shook off her punch like she had tickled him. He'd probably be fine. But again, since it was frowned upon so much in her classes, Sofia didn't try it. Besides, he'd probably just lock his legs around hers and then push her down or something. Face first into the ground, splat. Sofia could tell you frown experience that it was quite unpleasant to go face first into any surface, including the one in here. They were standing on plush mats you know.

This was supposed to be hand-to-hand, but using her powers to lift him upside down sounded appealing too... In the end, she went with what she'd been taught previously..kind of. Rather than lift her foot to try and stomp his, Sofia pulled forward to spin around. Sure, it wouldn't free her wrist, but if she could move enough to spin, she could kick at his knee and immediately follow up with pressing forward to try to shove him away. The reflex would be to lean on the leg she hadn't kicked...right? Sofia wasn't sure, but that was the plan. Pivoting without awkward placement of the legs was easy for her, an avid ballet student (even if she was studying on her own). Her hope was that he'd end up loosing his grip and she could run get away. No running; you're not supposed to run. If powers were allowed, she would have considered putting a little extra 'oomph' in her shove. For now, she'd just focus on the objectives he gave her.

Tag @Dason Archer

This post has been edited by Sofia Mantega: May 10 2018, 05:23 PM
PM EMAILAOL
^
Dason Archer
 Posted: May 21 2018, 02:36 PM
Fortis
twenty-nine AGE
84 POSTS
Damocles
CLASS 2

Dason was not going to mention the field work. He didn't want to get her hopes up if he didn't think she was up to par when it came to being on assignment. Of course, he would continue to train her until he thought she was ready. It was easier to train than it was to be handed a partner that he had no idea who they were. Plus, he didn't want to put anyone in danger signing off on her. Dason had many reasons for keeping his mouth shut. One of the big ones was that he didn't want her to overthink any of her actions. If he told her, he was pretty sure that she would get flustered under the pressure. They would work on that once she could handle hand to hand combat.

As they started with her reassurance that she didn't need a breather, he watched her take aim before hitting. If he'd been a normal man, he was pretty sure that it might have bruised him. There had been some force behind the punch. There was no holding back from her. Dason would have to hold himself back as he pulled her close to his chest. The feeling of her body against his. There wasn't much height difference, and there were plenty of things she could have done at that moment. A part of him expected her to aim for his face with the back of her head. It probably would have hurt her more than him. Instead, she surprised him by twirling out of his arms.

The kick got him right at the side of the knee making him go down. It didn't hurt but it caught him by surprise. Sure enough, he'd lost his balance as she shoved back only letting go of her to catch himself. There was a smile on his lips. He nodded his head getting back up. "Very nicely done." He felt it was good to give compliments when a trainee did well. "Let's try it again. Less time thinking and more time just doing. I want it to be natural for you to react." The brute went for her once more.

Dason was almost tempted to tell her to use her powers. "Don't be afraid to use your powers. In a bind you might have to do it so you should practice. Show me what you've got, Mantega." He was probably asking for it, but to him it didn't matter as long as she was learning how to defend herself.

PM
^
Sofia Mantega
 Posted: Jun 13 2018, 05:56 AM
Wind Dancer
twenty AGE
223 POSTS
Damocles
CLASS 4

Sofia was pleased to note that her attempt worked. Since she probably wouldn't be able to ever hit him, physically, hard enough to knock him, other tactics were needed. Trying to hit his face with her head hadn't even crossed Sofia's mind. Sure, the nose was a good target, but the Venezuelan mutant had assumed that he wouldn't be affected. Also, the wind elemental wasn't too confident that she'd be able to abruptly hit him hard enough to do something anyway. As for striking in general...eh. Sofia understood that she wasn't built up with a lot of muscle, and probably wouldn't ever be even with the agency's blessing that she was no longer undernourished or nutritionally deficient.

Therefore, she would have to do other things like go for tender parts that don't have so much muscle protecting it or pressure points. Well, to be honest, her knowledge of pressure points was highly limited. Like saw-it-in-a-movie and heard about it one time limited. So Dason wouldn't be subject to her attempts in that regard unless it happened by pure accident. To be extremely honest, she did better at evasion. For a lot of people, she could just tire them out or wait them out. But, wouldn't you know it, Dason's mutant ability meant that he could go at this far longer than her.

In any case, she was congratulated, which felt good. Obviously, she didn't want to fail here even with this tutorial/spar. However, she had to move faster. In real life, she wouldn't be given so much time to think and calculate. Of course, in real life, maybe she wouldn't give so much thought to 'polite' hits. No one would get mad as long as the goal of detention was met right? Also noteworthy was the high chance that she would know far less about the target than she did about Dason, and she didn't know a ton about him as it was. So advance knowledge of 'hey this probably will not work' wouldn't be there. The potential for a trial-and-error meant that she'd have even less time to think.

"Don't be afraid to use your powers. In a bind you might have to do it so you should practice. Show me what you've got, Mantega."

Dason's words would be immediately rewarded by Sofia darting into the air as he tried to get her again. Rather than the imposing, run-away-now, goddess-like form that a flying Storm might have, Wind Dancer's form was more like an otherworldly fairy coming to play a bit. A teal glaze covered her normal eye color as her hair was whirled about by wind that was obviously being generated by her in this enclosed, windowless space. Far from chaotically blowing around, her hair billowed softly as she settled into the air, obviously quite comfortable there. Her tendency to zip about the office with her feet not always touching the ground was probably a fair sign, but this was further evidence of Sofia's comfort in being airborne. Unfortunately, the objective probably wasn't for her to just go beyond Dason's reach. Victory via exasperation was not probable. The idea of being able to lift Dason as the wind was lifting her right now was a bit laughable, but maybe...

Reassuring herself that he'd be just fine - Dason had said so right? - Sofia attempted to knock Dason 'upwards' with a sharp gust of air. I hope that I applied enough force.. This wasn't exactly something she had consciously tried before. Unconsciously though--ahem, nevermind. Focus on the present. Wind Dancer tried to aim /away/ from her, of course, figuring that this would be an easier task than attempting to immobilize him by keeping him aloft permanently. Assuming he wasn't hiding...laser beam powers or something, being able to hold him in the air would be ideal. However, Sofia was aware that, presently, that was too hard for her. Really, she didn't know if she'd ever be able to ask the wind to 'carry' someone other than herself.

Anyway, the idea was that he'd be winded after the fall...err, assuming that she had 'pushed' hard enough and that he didn't do something cool...like land on his feet. Dang it, she didn't think of that.

Tag @Dason Archer
PM EMAILAOL
^
Dason Archer
 Posted: Jul 2 2018, 12:02 AM
Fortis
twenty-nine AGE
84 POSTS
Damocles
CLASS 2

If her reaction time had been a little quicker, he really wouldn't have anything bad to say. Her hit had made contact, and it had a bit of power behind it. She wasn't the strongest, but she couldn't certainly punch. Dason saw the potential at the surface. There was a chance they could work together. Still, he wanted to do further experiments. Something that would get her really moving. Something that could get them both moving.

That was the reason he told her to use her powers. It was something that would need to happen in the field even as a last resort. He wanted to see them in action. He'd seen her flit around the building, but this was difference. This was her using it as an offensive and defensive ability. Some mutants couldn't do one or the other. Dason wanted to be sure that she could. The brute was more accustomed to being used as a shield and hitting his way through an obstacle while Sofia might be able to simply go over the obstacle without much of a struggle.

He didn't want to put her into danger unless he was sure she could handle it. Her instructors probably wouldn't be pleased with him, but he didn't really care. This was his decision...for the most part. He needed intel on her powers and ability to handle herself in stressful situations. When he mentioned using her powers, she seemed to react quickly slipping from his grasp as she floated in the air.

The wind whipping around them gently. The way her hair whipped around her face and just her stance in general definitely gave him the feel of a fairy. A smile coming to his lips before it was being wiped off by the sudden feeling of being lifted off his feet by the air. This was something he had kind of expected, but it still caught him by surprise.

That was until he was dropped unceremoniously on his ass. He looked up at her with a nod of his head. "That's it. That's what we need to work on. Can you do that with multiple attackers?" They could work on her aiming towards hitting them into walls or objects that might render the attacker unconscious so they wouldn't have to worry about them. Less enemies awake meant less enemies to fight.

PM
^
Sofia Mantega
 Posted: Today at 07:08 am
Wind Dancer
twenty AGE
223 POSTS
Damocles
CLASS 4

In truth, Sofia was a bit of a pacifist and far more accustomed to the goal being oriented towards escape. The concept of making sure her pursuer/attacker would no longer be able to go after her, either temporarily or permanently, wasn't something she'd spent much time dwelling on. Get out, get out - that was the thought process. This wasn't effective on the persistent sorts or when she was the specific target. It was a lesson she'd learned the hard way once before. How she might have responded to that lesson on her own will forever be a mystery, as Sofia came to Damocles shortly afterwards. So now the teaching was up to the trainers here. Would they be able to iron out the pacifist side of her? Probably not. Conversely, the fact that she was one of the less aggressive Damocles members had proven quite useful when confronted with non-Damocles personnel. Rather than attempt to alter her nature or unearth some unknown hidden nature, it was turning out to be more effective to simply prepare her for instances where the other side wasn't interested in talking.

As her powers were a regular source of comfort for her, being told that she could use them was a welcome prompt. Sure, he wasn't encouraging her to use them to flee, but still. While some mutant's powers were a source of self-loathing and/or fear, that was far from the case for Sofia. A big contributor was likely her mother's attitude towards her powers, a solid ground that couldn't be destabilized even by harsh responses from virtually everyone else she'd been in the care of since her mother's death. Instances of her using it for destructive or offensive purposes were infrequent though, hence her uncertainty when being prompted now. So naturally, her first act was to fly away, not immediately try to knock Dason away. The Venezuelan mutant also wasn't much of a deliberate show off, so the wind generated wasn't any more than what she needed to fly up. Also, despite assuring herself that he'd be okay, the wind elemental hadn't taken carte blanche with the wind play either.

Her ploy worked, or as well as it could work on someone as durable as Dason. Other people will not be as tough, the trainee coached to herself. Er, theoretically. There was a nod of approval, which was encouraging. "That's it. That's what we need to work on. Can you do that with multiple attackers?" The dark-haired woman blinked, scratching her head a little while remaining airborne. "Emmm, yes? If enough wind is used, it should be fine.

How do you plan to test that? There is only one of you."
Cloning?

Tag @Dason Archer
PM EMAILAOL
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

OPTIONS REPLY NEW TOPIC START POLL

Affiliates
Candyland Couture Shadowplay
UNCANNY EVOLUTION Heroes Reborn WHAT WE CHOOSE
GLITTER & GOLD Infinite Dreams