Carmen Berger
 Posted: May 5 2018, 03:49 AM
Merle
21 AGE
40 POSTS
Morlock
CLASS 2

why don't you just meet me in the middle
Even though Carmen had known that there were other mutants - especially since her own brother was one - she hadn't really expected many of them to have physical mutations as obvious as her own. There was no hiding her wings, no matter how much her parents would have liked it to be so. And considering that she'd had a fairly sheltered childhood after her mutation had changed her appearance, it probably shouldn't have been too much of a surprise that she hadn't been told much about mutants. She hadn't been too sure about what she would find in New York City. It was so different from Paris that moving here had been something of a culture shock. New place, new language, new everything, really.

But she'd adapted well enough, or so she'd hoped. Finding out that there was an entire community of mutants whose powers had manifested like her own was exciting, to say the least, and she'd been eager to see what that place was like. She hadn't been sure what to expect, so the spot called the Lighthouse was certainly good enough for her. When an offer to live there had been extended, Carmen had been happy to accept, and was hoping that she'd be able to learn more about mutants in general. Maybe there was a cure... Or at least a way for her to fit in more, because having anxiety was bad enough without everyone having a reason to stare at her.

She'd done her best to fit in here, even though she'd only been around for a couple of days. Her bedroom was nice, even though she didn't really have anything to decorate it with. There was a picture of her brother on the bedside table, and a few of her sketches that she'd pinned up on the wall, but that was it. If she ever managed to get a job, she had a few improvements in mind when it came to personalising the place. But for now, it was quite enough for her. When someone knocked on the door of her bedroom, she looked up, blinking at the sudden noise. Of all the things she hadn't expected, someone coming to talk to her was at the top of the list.

Feeling unexpectedly shy, considering the probability that the person on the other side had a mutation as visible at hers, she set her sketchbook down on her bed and went to open the door. As expected, her visitor didn't look normal in the slightest, and Carmen realised after a moment that she was staring rather than greeting her. Well, that was a nice start to things. "Um, hi. Who are you?" She hadn't had time to learn names or anything, or really even meet anyone, so that seemed like a safe first question. Especially since she'd started off by being so rude as to simply stare at her... Carmen hoped that the other woman wouldn't be angry with her.

BY MITZI

@Cessily Kincaid

This post has been edited by Carmen Berger: May 5 2018, 03:50 AM
PM
^
Cessily Kincaid
 Posted: May 7 2018, 04:52 AM
Mercury
25 AGE
37 POSTS
Morlock
CLASS 2

As a member of the Morlocks and resident of the Lighthouse, Cessily liked to know the comings and goings of the place. She had made it her kind of job to know when new residents arrived. It was a bit of a hobby of hers like her dancing or telling horrible jokes that she thought was funny. The redhead knew that someone new had moved in down the hall from her. She'd kept her door open just in case the girl came by, but she hadn't so Cessily had the brilliant plan that she would go to her.

Cessily had gone to the kitchen first because it was all part of this master plan to make new friends. Of course, when she got there, she came to the realization that she had no idea what the resident liked. The redhead also realized that she didn't know much about making hot beverages because she didn't have need to drink or eat. This was how she'd ended up with a tray filled with mugs. One was tea, one coffee, and the other hot chocolate. She had hoped that she made them all right...if not, she would apologize and have a laugh about it.

Now came the next step of her plan, she moved up the stairs carefully balancing the tray trying not to spill any of the mugs. This was going to cause a lot of dishes. It was totally worth it in her mind. A smile on her face as she knocked on the door. This was great. She was going to meet someone new. Someone that had a physical mutation just like her. Well, not just like her but in the way they looked different from a normal human.

Cessily held up the tray a bit when the girl opened the door as if that would explain why she was there. Then the staring happened making Cessily slightly uncomfortable. The redhead hated when people stared. It made her feel smaller or maybe she was going puddle. It was the puddle so she reformed and at the question finally got up her nerve to introduce herself. "I'm Cessily, or you can call me Cici. I don't mind either. I'm here to welcome you to the Lighthouse. I brought you some refreshments...didn't know what you would like so I just made every hot beverage I could think of."

PM
^
Carmen Berger
 Posted: May 7 2018, 08:02 AM
Merle
21 AGE
40 POSTS
Morlock
CLASS 2

It didn't surprise Carmen that the stranger at her door looked uncomfortable. Had their positions been reversed, she would have felt exactly the same, although she probably would have turned around and run rather than attempt to continue the conversation. That wouldn't surprise anyone that knew her, although there were only real a few people that could say so. Just her brother and a handful of others, not including parents, sadly. She'd gotten used to the fact that her parents weren't ever really going to accept her, but at least her brother had no issues with her wings, or her mutation at all, really.

The tray of drinks caught her attention, and she smiled shyly as she reached out to take the cup of hot chocolate. "Thank you." Come to think of it, she hadn't figured out where the kitchens were here yet. She should probably be proactive and try to find them, or at least ask the polite woman that had brought her a drink. But instead she took a sip from the cup, savouring the taste. "I'm Carmen. Oh, would you like to come in?" she asked, suddenly realising that she'd forgotten even more of her manners. Hopefully she could offer an apology that would be accepted. Just because she wasn't settled in yet didn't mean she had an excuse for behaving this way.

But that didn't mean she hadn't been incredibly rude. "I'm so sorry for staring," she said in a rush. "I'm just, well, I'm still not really used to being around other mutants, especially ones that look so different from most people. Merde, that must have sounded so rude." Carmen was clearly dismayed at what she'd said, and hoped that the other woman wouldn't be insulted by that either. While it wasn't said with malicious intent, she had little doubt that the other Morlocks had been about as well-received as she'd been herself, and she certainly wouldn't have liked it if someone had said that to her. Then again, she didn't have the best history with talking with people...

BY MITZI

@Cessily Kincaid

This post has been edited by Carmen Berger: May 8 2018, 06:13 AM
PM
^
Cessily Kincaid
 Posted: May 8 2018, 03:25 AM
Mercury
25 AGE
37 POSTS
Morlock
CLASS 2

The redhead had decided to give the girl a pass on staring at her. It was probably a new experience. She couldn't blame her for really staring. Most people did the same thing. It was like they had never seen a person made from bio-organic mercury or something. Now that she was thinking about it, she was pretty sure they had never seen something like her. Mercury thought about how awesome it would be to meet someone that had a mutation like hers. Of course, there might have been some staring on Cessily's part as well. Were those feather? Wings were really the best. The silver mutant might have gotten a bit jealous with those that had wings.

As the girl took the cup of hot chocolate, she beamed. She knew she made the right choice with bringing all three. Cessily always liked to be prepared. Then she was being invited in. Her eyes looked to the bare walls before they strayed to the picture on the bedside table. She was careful not to mention it before her attention was back on Carmen. Carefully, she set the tray down on a flat surface leaving her hands free which she brought in front of her to keep her from touching the feathers. It'd be bad to touch the feathers.

"Don't worry about the staring. If it was a...um, human, I might have gotten a bit offended. You're like family in a way." She shrugged her shoulders looking around. "We're going to have to get you some posters or paint." Cessily realized she had probably spoken out of turn. "Sorry, I just noticed your walls are pretty bare. It'll make you feel better if you decorate. It's what I suggest to all the newcomers." It certainly had made her feel more at home once her walls were a different color and she had started putting up knick-knacks and posters.

PM
^
Carmen Berger
 Posted: May 12 2018, 08:01 AM
Merle
21 AGE
40 POSTS
Morlock
CLASS 2

Normally, Carmen would have been uncomfortable as soon as she picked up on someone looking at her wings. But the whole point in coming here was that things would be different, and she'd be among her own kind, wasn't it? She was wearing a tank top, since she'd expected to be left to herself in her room. It left very little of her wings covered, but it was also far more comfortable for her. And even though she usually wore long-sleeved shirts or coats to try to keep people from seeing what she was, they could get very uncomfortable if they rubbed her feathers the wrong way.

She returned Cessily's grin with a slight smile of her own, feeling more at ease than she had when she'd first opened the door. Maybe she'd be able to talk to this girl about the Lighthouse, about how it worked and who lived her and all sorts of other things. Even though she'd heard something of it before she'd come here - her decision hadn't been made blindly - it wasn't as if she had ever experienced anything like this place before. There were a million questions she had, both about Morlocks, and about mutants in general. While she'd known that she and her brother were mutants, she'd been able to learn very little about her own species.

The assertion that she was like family came as a surprise. "Oh. Really?" Clearly she hadn't thought of it that way herself, but she was pleasantly surprised by Cessily's words. But the next sentence seemed to come out of nowhere, and for a moment she really had no idea what had prompted it. "I guess so," she agreed. "I didn't bring much with me." She hadn't had much to bring, either, which was the real reason for the few personal belongings in her room. "But I wouldn't really mind being able to change few things. That would be nice." It would make her feel more like she belonged here. "What did you do with your room? And how long have you been here?"

BY MITZI

@Cessily Kincaid
PM
^
Cessily Kincaid
 Posted: May 23 2018, 12:03 AM
Mercury
25 AGE
37 POSTS
Morlock
CLASS 2

Cessily truly didn't mind that the girl was staring at her. There was something about someone with a physical mutation that made it okay for the silver skinned woman to accept their staring. Maybe it was because had she not been the welcoming committee she might have stared herself at the young stranger. It was probably for that reason that she was really attempting not to stare keeping on her friendly smile. There had been walls up when she first joined with the Morlocks. Only looking out for herself, making sure her belly stayed full, and she was still working on staying solid. There were no more puddle days unless she had to escape a situation.

"Yeah, I mean we both have physical mutations." She motioned to the wings on display."We wear being mutants like a badge. I think it brings us closer together unlike those that don't have one. That sounds really judgemental, but those guys can blend in while we can't." The redhead wasn't bitter at all at those lucky souls that could walk in the sunlight without glittering like a soda pop can.

As she listened to Carmen talk about not bringing much, she nodded her head. It was understandable. Runaways and the like that didn't want to be burdened by too much. Not that Carmen looked like the type to run away. Cessily didn't ask why she didn't. Instead, she decided to answer the next question about what was on her walls. "I've been with the morlocks for a while now. They took me in when I got to New York." It was better not to tell how she got to New York or why she'd come there in the first place. "There's all kind of things on my walls. Vinyl covers, posters of actresses I like, and things like that. I'm a big fan of music and dancing. You feel free to stop by anytime. If I'm not there, you can just leave a post-it on my door, and I'll see it when I get back. You need anything at all you let me know."

Cessily wanted Carmen to feel welcome. Being in a new place with powers and people could be overwhelming. The redhead wanted to help with anything she had the ability to help with. "What do you like to do?"

PM
^
Carmen Berger
 Posted: May 24 2018, 07:58 PM
Merle
21 AGE
40 POSTS
Morlock
CLASS 2

Well, that was pretty true. “I mean, I don't really wear it like a badge, or anything. Usually I try to hide it so people won't notice. Some of them are just... horrible.” And even if she couldn't understand why people would be mean to each other because of some trivial thing, she certainly couldn't understand why that was any sort of grounds for hate crimes. People couldn't just leave each other alone and let them live in peace? “Oh, I know what you mean. My older brother is a mutant too, but it's one of those invisible mutations. Even our parents don't know.”

“How long have you been in New York? I've only been here four or five months. My brother's a student in the city and he invited me to live in his flat. But then I moved here, just a few days ago. Well, it's pretty different, but it's nice. Being around other mutants that are like me.” From the little that she knew about the Morlocks already, they took in anyone that had a physical mutation and needed a home, and she'd been eager to take advantage of the situation. Even though her brother was a nice person and all, he was never really going to understand what she went through just by going outside.

“Vinyl covers of what?” Carmen asked, interested. Everyone had different tastes in music, but it was something that interested her, and she liked to talk about it as much as she did anything. It was one of the things that everyone seemed like they liked to talk about, and she'd never seen it really lead to an argument or anything. That was always a bonus. “Oh, really? Thank you!” She hadn't expected that offer in the slightest. Really, she'd thought that she was mostly going to be left alone to do what she wanted.

“Drawing, painting, things like that. And a lot of reading. Besides that, not much.” Carmen actually couldn't think of much else that she liked to do at the moment, although she'd never been too good at coming up with things off the top of her head. “What do you like to do?”

BY MITZI

@Cessily Kincaid
PM
^
Cessily Kincaid
 Posted: Jun 19 2018, 07:49 AM
Mercury
25 AGE
37 POSTS
Morlock
CLASS 2

Mercury looked towards the girl with a smile on her face. She could totally understand not wanting to wear it as a badge. It wasn't their choice that they were born with mutations that showed on their skin. Cessily had wished many times that she could look normal, but she had adjusted gained a bit of confidence living with others like her. "Oh, I get that. I really do. I don't leave home without a hooded sweatshirt. Don't want to be glittering in the sun so people stare. I hate when people stare." She shook her head knowing that Carmen would understand that as well, or she hoped that she would understand that. "Your brother is one of the lucky ones. My parents found out the hard way. They walked in the bathroom after I screamed...shedding skin with this underneath." The redhead held up her hand to show the silvery sheen of her skin.

"I've been here for at least a couple of years. It's been nice. I was living on the streets then came to the Lighthouse. Decided to go out on your own? I don't blame you. Sometimes, it's easier to just live on your own or with other mutants like yourself. We take care of each other." This was probably the most she had told anyone about her past. There were a couple exceptions that had learned everything there was about her, but she had kept most of her information to herself. There was no need to focus on the past especially with how much pain it had brought her.

When the subject turned to music, Mercury beamed. "I have lots of vinyls of this and that. Mostly bargain bin things, but I love showing my love of music. I want everyone to know how much I love it." She shrugged her shoulders. Mercury had thought the offer would be good to extend. It wasn't like she was going to be doing much with her time unless she got antsy in her room. Usually, she was around the Lighthouse if she wasn't in her room. Either way, she wanted Carmen to feel welcome. "Yes, really. I don't have much going on so I'll probably be in my room." She smiled warmly.

Mercury listened to what the young woman was into. She nodded her head. Her eyes seemed to light up at the mention of reading. "I love reading! What are your favorite things to read? We could go to the bookstore together! I know one that doesn't really mind mutants. I go there all the time...well, when I have money."

PM
^
Carmen Berger
 Posted: Jun 22 2018, 03:10 PM
Merle
21 AGE
40 POSTS
Morlock
CLASS 2

"Anything more than tank tops is usually pretty uncomfortable for me. Rubs the feathers the wrong way, silly as that sounds." But it could be actually painful when it happened, so she tried to avoid it as much as she could. "I'm pretty lucky that the feathers will keep my arms warm in winter." And she'd found that thermal vests worked great for the rest of her upper body, which was certainly a relief. But it was sad, in a way, that Cessily had to cover up something so pretty, just because she was a mutant. Carmen would guess that it was even more beautiful in the sun. It certainly wasn't fair.

"Oh, that must have been hard," she said sympathetically when Cessily mentioned how her own parents had been found out. And shedding her skin sounded like it would have been very painful as well. Just growing in her feathers had hurt. It also made her wonder what had happened to the pre-mutant skin, but she wasn't about to ask about that. She had a feeling that that would be considered very rude, even if the two of them were friends or something like that. The answer would probably be a little bit gross, too.

"It seemed easier, yes. My brother does what he can, but he still has his own life, too. I guess, in a way, it didn't really seem fair to have him responsible for me, too. Moving out gave me a chance to be more independent." And besides, she couldn't live with her brother forever. Sure, it was better than living with her parents - and getting a job in Paris when you had wings was stunningly difficult - but she'd still rather be independent. Besides, being around other physically mutated people made her feel like she belonged.

Vinyl records had always been so pretty. Or at least, they were shiny, and that was usually the quality that was most likely to attract her attention. Being part bird was... interesting, at times, to say the least. "There's such a variety, it always seems impossible when someone says that they don't like music." How could they not? Even if there were some genres that she wasn't as fond of as others, she couldn't imagine not liking any of them. There were far too many! And many of them were so unique, in some way or another, that it was impossible to think of them all as boring.

"That's great, thank you." She had a feeling that it would have been much easier to just stay in her room, if she hadn't made friends here, but it seemed like that was going to be less of a problem now that she'd met Cessily. And it was kind of a relief, even if she liked meeting people just to meet them. "A lot of sci-fi and fantasy. And books about space. It's just so fascinating to read what people think might exist out there. Going to the bookstore would be great! I haven't been to one in a long time."

BY MITZI

@Cessily Kincaid
PM
^
Cessily Kincaid
 Posted: Jul 4 2018, 08:07 AM
Mercury
25 AGE
37 POSTS
Morlock
CLASS 2

"It doesn't sound silly." Cessily thought that if something rubbed her skin the wrong way that she certainly wouldn't make it worse by still wearing it. The redhead smile as she said it came in handy in the winter. "I've been told I get quite cold in the winter I mean like my touch. Not that I feel cold. I mean I get cold and hot like other people. I think. I don't really think about it." The redhead was rambling and she went quiet for a bit.

Her smile turned a bit sad as she shrugged her shoulders. "It is what it is. I ended up here so it didn't turn out all bad." The Morlocks were her family now. She didn't even care where her parents were now. They were probably happy in their sheltered little lives ignoring the fact they even had a daughter to begin with. Cessily was happier where she was in that moment. If she had known what Carmen wanted to ask her, she probably would have appreciated that she hadn't voiced the question. It wasn't so much rude as she actually had no idea what her family had done after locking her in her room.

"Independence is a great feeling." Cessily relaxed in the room. It was certainly similar to hers though with time it would look more like Carmen's once they had decorated it. Finding a place to belong in a world that looked down on mutants was the most important thing. A place with others like Cessily and Carmen. The redhead was glad that Carmen had found them.

With the topic moving to music, Cessily got more animated with her gestures talking about all the music she loved. There were so many different genres. Songs from each that really spoke to her. Her player was tucked away though she brought it out when she was bored laying on her floor imagining shapes in her ceiling as she let the music play. It was a nice hobby of hers when she didn't want to risk leaving her room.

They had things in common. Books, music, and they could really become friends the more they got to know each other. "Good, we'll plan a time to go. It's a nice one. You'll like it. They have like a whole section for fantasy and sci-fi. You'll be in book heaven."

PM
^
Carmen Berger
 Posted: Jul 16 2018, 12:14 PM
Merle
21 AGE
40 POSTS
Morlock
CLASS 2

“Well, there's a lot of things that would sound silly if we were talking about humans instead of mutants, I suppose.” Like the fact that someone had wings. If they weren't in a world with mutants, well, that would mean a costume or some other kind of special effects. But for her, well, it had been her life for years. Had it not been for the fact that people were willing to hurt her for that, well, it would have been very exciting. As it was, however, she could have gone without her wings for the sake of making life easier if she'd never had them, but she didn't like the thought of losing them.

And then Cessily started rambling about being cold and hot, and Carmen nearly wasn't able to follow her for a moment. “Everyone would, I think, even if they don't realise it. Metal will get hot or cold if it's left outside, and it certainly wouldn't know.” Nobody liked touching seatbelt buckles in the middle of summer! There were many stories about kids sticking their tongues to light poles in the winter, too, though she had never tried anything of the sort herself. It hadn't seemed like it would be worth finding out if it was true or not, if it meant possibly getting her tongue stuck to something.

“Better here than being on your own, right?” She'd always liked to be around people – at least those that wouldn't be mean or rude about her wings – but she knew that not everyone was like that. And sometimes it could be so hard, when it came to people, to know if they really were going to be nice. It certainly didn't help her shyness, though that had originated with her being all but locked away since she was young. Funnily enough, not having any social experience made you very uncertain of getting into the thick of things. Managing it was easier when it was with other mutants.

“Oh, I would love that!” she said enthusiastically. And if Cessily had been there, well, the owners couldn't mind mutants being around, could they? Not unless Cessily could look normal if she wanted to, and for some reason, she thought that the other woman would have mentioned that happening. Besides, she wouldn't be living with the Morlocks if she could pass for human, or at least Carmen didn't think she would. While none of the Morlocks she'd met had exactly seemed like they were ashamed of themselves, she didn't think that any of them actually enjoyed being pushed to the outskirts of society just for their appearances. “When shall we go?”

BY MITZI

@Cessily Kincaid
PM
^
Cessily Kincaid
 Posted: Jul 17 2018, 06:57 AM
Mercury
25 AGE
37 POSTS
Morlock
CLASS 2

Carmen had a point. If they had been talking about humans, this conversation would have been very funny. Cessily smiled shrugging her shoulders. "Yeaah, you're probably right." The redhead felt more comfortable around people like her. People that she could be herself with. Someone that she didn't have to hide from. She could show her face without worrying about getting judged for the color of her skin. There were some days that she had wondered what her life would be like without her mutation. Cessily had decided that she wouldn't give it up for anything. Her mutation had let her become the woman that she was that day.

She liked how Carmen thought. "Exactly! I think that's how my body works. It's not metal exactly. It's more of a fluid that I keep solid without concentrating. I can change my shape though. I learned puddle form very early on." Cessily realized that she was rambling again. It was just excitement. "Maybe I'll show you soon. I've heard I'm the best at hide and seek."

Her comment about better being than being on their own. It made Cessily think for a moment. "I was on my own for a bit before they found me. I think it's a definite improvement. Better than living on the streets for real." She ran her fingers through her hair. The redhead didn't think Carmen had ever had to deal with that. She was one of the lucky ones that had a mutant relative someone that understood what she was going through. Cessily didn't let the jealously take hold as talk turned towards the bookstore.

A bright smile on her lips. "Let me check my schedule." Cessily pretended to pull a book out of her pocket flipping through it. "It appears I've got nothing planned ever so whenever you want to go! I can show you all the mutant friendly places. There's a couple of bars that are good. I don't go to drink, but it's nice to just be around people socializing while I sit and read." She was getting ahead of herself again. "We'll start with the bookstore and see where the adventure takes us."

PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

OPTIONS REPLY NEW TOPIC START POLL

Affiliates
Candyland Couture Shadowplay
UNCANNY EVOLUTION Heroes Reborn WHAT WE CHOOSE
GLITTER & GOLD Infinite Dreams