Carmen Berger
 Posted: May 21 2018, 08:03 PM
Merle
21 AGE
40 POSTS
Morlock
CLASS 2

LEAVE IT TO THE BREEZE
Even though there could be anti-mutant sentiments anywhere in the world, much less anywhere in New York City, that didn't mean that Carmen could exactly spend her entire life hiding. That just wasn't realistic. And she'd ended up coming out to Queens on a bit of a day trip. Really, she'd been going through the various small shops looking for things that she could decorate her room with, but she'd felt her venture was on a bit of a grand scale to simply be called a shopping trip! She hadn't made much progress, and there had been one old lady that had given her such a nasty glare that the girl had fled the shop immediately.

But she'd also made some progress... and detoured into a crafts shop and ended up getting a couple new paintbrushes and a pack of colouring pencils. It was the last thing she really needed to do, but she'd felt like she deserved a bit of a reward for spending the entire day outside. Or most of it, anyway, since she hadn't left the Lighthouse until a bit before ten in the morning. She was glad she'd brought some snacks with her, and a bottle of water. She hadn't gotten hungry enough yet to stop for a meal, even though it was in the middle of the afternoon. After the next store or two, maybe, but at the moment she was stopped in front of a shop window and dithering over whether or not it was worth going inside to get a better look at a little bedside table that was on display.

And of course, that was when she noticed a girl about her own age staring at her with an unpleasant look. Carmen was not at all impressed, and while she normally would have decided to just leave instead of causing trouble... the girl really was being rude. "Ta mère ne t'a-t-elle jamais appris que c'était impoli de regarder? Merde, Américains." She crossed her arms over her chest, certain that not a word of what she'd said had been understandable, and stared at the other girl. For a moment she thought she'd made a mistake, because the girl frowned at her, but then the stranger huffed and walked away, muttering under her breath. Carmen didn't catch all of it, but she knew it was a very rude sentiment against mutants. Hmph. Mannerless young adults were apparently a problem everywhere.

PM
^
Jenny Thomas
 Posted: May 21 2018, 10:46 PM
Shadow
27 AGE
163 POSTS
Brotherhood
CLASS 3

Jenny always felt an odd sense of being at home in New York. After all, she grew up here. She spent most of her life here. Even on the streets, it never stopped being her home. She was a native and would likely always come back here. Even with the mutant hate lately. Well, she had long since decided that the answer to hate was to show them everything a mutant could be and could do. The looks on peoples faces made her grin.

It was the craft shop she noticed the mutant girl. She had been ~~shoplifting~~ shopping for some charcoals and a new sketch book for Kohl. They were things he pretty much always needed. She owed him an apology anyway, one that she had maybe been avoiding a bit. Ever since she showed up drunk and forgetting that Kohl didn't do that anymore. It was early for her, but she had to acknowledge that stores sometimes closed and it was always a bigger thrill to steal under the nose of the humans watching. Sometimes even watching her extra close, since she had stopped trying to hide the spots on her skin. Giving the stock person an extra brilliant smile as her shadows slipping the items into her bag. As soon as the person looked away, Jenny was gone.

She was following the winged girl. The spots on Jenny's skin, more so with a tee shirt and a jacket on, were harder to see. She knew that people could get pretty horrible to visible mutants and she wasn't going to let the girl get hurt. She did have a soft spot for visible mutants who were likely on their own.

She came out of shadows not that far away, pretending to be window shopping. Before she could do anything about the girl staring the winged one called her out speaking French. Jenny couldn't help the loud laugh that came out of her mouth.

"Je suppose que vous lui montrai, et là je pensais que vous pourriez avoir besoin d'aide." She responded. Her accent on it wasn't French but it wasn't American either. Just an odd one. Jenny blamed the fact that she learned it from a man who grew up speaking Cantonese. Squeezing her fist unconsciously even with that thought. "Mon nom est Jenny, et vous êtes?" Might as well be polite right?

PM
^
Carmen Berger
 Posted: May 21 2018, 11:39 PM
Merle
21 AGE
40 POSTS
Morlock
CLASS 2

LEAVE IT TO THE BREEZE
Of all the reactions that Carmen would have expected to her little outburst, someone laughing was not one of them. She hadn't noticed that she was being followed - her situational awareness, in a place as busy as New York City, was absolutely not up to standard. At first she didn't understand why what she'd said had been so amusing, apart from the obvious fact that she'd run off some rude person. But then she noticed the spots on the other girl, barely visible, but enough to make her suspect that she had caught the attention of another mutant.

For all that she could deal with staring humans, she still wasn't entirely used to dealing with other mutants with physical mutations. Cessily had been a great deal more patient with her than she'd deserved, when they'd first met, and Carmen was still grateful for the older woman's graciousness. But she'd assumed that not every mutant was that nice, and, well, the last thing she wanted was to step on any toes. So rather than mentioning the little thing they had in common, she smiled at the French instead.

"D'habitude, je ne serais pas aussi grossier, mais vraiment, elle le méritait," she answered. "Je m'appelle Carmen. Où avez-vous appris à parler français? Je ne l'entends pas beaucoup ici, c'est toujours anglais ou espagnol." And while she didn't really mind that - except when she couldn't understand someone who didn't seem to speak either English or French - it was nice to hear her first language. She didn't much care about an accent, or lack of one, but that was hardly something to be fussing over at the moment. She was definitely curious now, not only at the other's attitude but her language as well.

If she had to guess, the last time she'd really had a conversation with someone in French, it had been with her brother. And as much as they had some things in common with their mutations, his had always been invisible. She liked talking with other mutants whose own mutations were much more physical, even if their conversation didn't stray toward that subject. Somehow it felt like that was a bit more normal, to be with her own kind. Mutants, in general, and Morlocks, more specifically. Carmen didn't really have anything against humans in general, just the specific ones that tried to harm her. But she'd seen enough of mutant hate to trust her own kind more than an average stranger.

PM
^
Jenny Thomas
 Posted: May 22 2018, 08:32 PM
Shadow
27 AGE
163 POSTS
Brotherhood
CLASS 3

Even if Carmen had the ability to realize she was being followed, Jenny didn't follow like normal people. She teleported around, followed in the shadows, kept an eye without being visible. The only reason she came out right now was that she had been concerned. She wasn't going to let things happen to this mutant. Not just because the mutant was young but also just because she didn't like seeing her kind attacked.

Not every mutant was nice. That was true. Jenny knew more than a few who would not be nice in any sense of the word. Jenny was nice, to mutants, typically. Non-mutants? She very very rarely was.

"Oh she deserved all of it." Jenny grinned widely continuing the French conversation. "It is a pleasure to meet you Carmen and well, I spoke it growing up." She shrugged. It wasn't the first or only language she had learned though. Not that Carmen needed to know any of the circumstances of that. "I speak English as well though never have picked up Spanish beyond a few phrases." Really, if you asked her, English and Cantonese were her first languages. Speaking both of them since as long as she could remember.

The last time Jenny had really talked to someone in French...she wasn't sure she remembered really. Maybe Trinity in bed, that or Mandarin. But it wasn't a conversation. The words, the language though, she kept up just enough not to lose it. She actually had spoken the two dialects of Chinese much more recently. Whenever she went to a Chinese restaurant she would.

"Was there something particular you were looking at?" She asked with a smile. She wasn't sure the girl's circumstances, but with a mutation like that, could assume that they weren't the best. The clothes hinted at that more, the shoes especially.

Tapping her finger on her chin for a moment, and deciding that she really could use the distraction, she grinned. "Look I really need to cheer up, and you look like you could use some new things. So why don't I take you shopping? It isn't charity if that's what you are worried about." Cause god knew Jenny hated getting that on the street. "It is a chance to make a friend, cheer me up, and let me play dress up with you." And likely walk away with a few more high priced items. She grinned, holding out her hand. "And you can pay me back in the future. Deal?"

PM
^
Carmen Berger
 Posted: May 24 2018, 07:19 PM
Merle
21 AGE
40 POSTS
Morlock
CLASS 2

LEAVE IT TO THE BREEZE
“Oh, so did I! I was born in Paris, and I moved here not long ago. My brother has a flat because he's a student here. He invited me to live with him.” Because her parents had been rude about her mutation, but she somehow didn't think that that would be something that the other woman would want to know. That was something that she kind of wanted to keep to herself, especially at a first meeting. Carmen was well aware that she wasn't the best at human interaction – or mutant interaction – but there were a few things that even she knew. “I've never learned any Spanish, but it seems to be so common here for some reason.” It was a little bit puzzling, but hardly the strangest thing that she'd seen in this City. But she wasn't one to really judge people, unless they'd already done something rude to her. Which wasn't infrequent, because even though New York City seemed to have a better general attitude toward mutants than Paris did, she was still subject to plenty of rude gestures. Still, she liked it, and so did his brother, which was something that she definitely tended to take into account when she was making her decisions.

“Not really. Just some paintbrushes and coloured pencils. I haven't painted in a long time, so I thought it might be fun to try again. And somehow I misplaced about half my pencils last month.” She frowned a little at that, because honestly, how had she even done that? Even before that, she'd left most of her art supplies at her parents' home, so she'd just decided that it would be simpler to buy some new things. Not to mention that it had all been far less expensive than she'd thought it would be, which had only encouraged her to get what she wanted. “What about you?”

The offer to take her shopping really surprised her, and for a moment all she could do was blink. She glanced down at herself, wondering if she really looked bad enough that someone wanted to take her shopping. Really, she kind of had been wondering if it was a charity thing until Jenny mentioned that it wasn't, but still... “Yeah, okay! It sounds like it could be fun.” Truthfully, going clothes shopping had never been her strong suit. Even though she could definitely pick out a good-looking outfit if she put effort into it, normally she just grabbed whatever fit out of her closet.

PM
^
Jenny Thomas
 Posted: May 26 2018, 04:16 AM
Shadow
27 AGE
163 POSTS
Brotherhood
CLASS 3

Jenny grinned as Carmen explained. Having a lot of questions there. Tilting her head slightly.. "Do you still live with your brother?" Hey, Carmen had brought it up, not Jenny. For a half second, there was a pain there because that was how it should have been. She should have had her brother with her. Sticking up for her. Instead...well, she hadn't talked to him since and quickly stuffed all that back away. And even without knowing that was what her brother had done, Jenny just assumed that about Carmen.

"Oh I'm a New Yorker through and through. Born and raised." She explained since Carmen had shared where she was from. Not that it mattered really. There were more than enough people that it was super unlikely for anyone to really track down who Jenny had been or who her family was. There were a few people who knew, but they were few and far between. Most people just assumed she was from some amount of money who was disowned by her shitbag parents. None of which was wrong, except it wasn't 'some amount' but enough to make most of her associates and most of the Brotherhood salivate.

She shrugged about why there was so much Spanish. Not caring really to explain all the reasons. It wasn't hard to figure out. Spain settled the area as much as the Dutch and the English. There were a ton of people here from various Spanish speaking countries, to the point that probably 1/3rd or more of the city spoke Spanish as a birth language. But her father had thought French was the language to learn so she did.

Unlike the girl, Jenny was perfectly happy to judge people. Most people were a bit rude, and it had little to do with mutations. But it was home. Rude people and all. In fact, sometimes it felt nice to know that they weren't being rude to HER because she was a mutant but just because she was a person they could be rude too.

"Shopping for a friend. I have no skill in this stuff." She shook her head. No, she could draw stick figures and flowers but that was about it and her flowers weren't very pretty.

There were sides of Jenny that most of her teammates never saw. There were things, a few things even, besides stealing and killing and fighting that she was good at. One happened to be that she still remembered all the lessons in how to dress. She just rarely had a chance to use that particular skill. This was a great chance for her. It would be a little tougher with the wings, already thinking about what could easily fit.

"Can you fly?" She asked, trying to figure out the best way to get them to where they were going. Knowing that shadow-walking and teleporting could be disorienting unless you were used to it...and sometimes even then. She wanted to see more about how the wings connected and how much space she had at the arm pit for shirts and the like but they were still very much in public and she didn't want to cause Carmen to be stared at more than they already were.

PM
^
Carmen Berger
 Posted: May 28 2018, 02:12 AM
Merle
21 AGE
40 POSTS
Morlock
CLASS 2

LEAVE IT TO THE BREEZE
@Jenny Thomas | let me know if changes needed!
"No, not any more. I was told about a place where there are other mutants with physical mutations like mine. My brother is great, but... he doesn't understand people staring at me. The other mutants - they call themselves Morlocks - they get that." And it felt a little more like home, much as she loved her brother. Sure, it was a small difference, but an important one, some days.

"Yeah? Has New York always been the same or has it been changing lately?" She was too unfamiliar with the city or the state to realise either way, but if anyone was going to have the answers, it would be a native. Right? There were so many people in this place that she couldn't imagine how people kept track of each other. Even though she didn't have much experience with such things, she imagined that a person could easily hide from anyone if they so wished.

"I'm sure that's not true," she said politely when Jenny claimed that she was no good at art. Everyone started out thinking that way, no? But then they had a chance to improve their skills, and without that, even the most famous of artists would never have gotten anywhere with their artistic careers. Which wasn't to say that everyone had potential... but her parents had raised her to have plenty of manners, before they'd turned out to be bigoted and her father to be hateful.

"What kind of things does your friend like to draw?" she asked, unable to help her curiosity. Chances were she'd never meet that friend, but at least she could ask. Besides, it was never a bad time to talk about art. Professional, amateur, and everything in between. It was one of the few things that she would actually ramble about, if given the chance. And fortunately a relatively common pastime, or so it seemed.

"Flying? I wish! Well, I can catch air currents and kind of glide. But not for long, and I can't do it on my own." Carmen dearly wished that she could manage to fly on her own, but it wasn't meant to be for her, unfortunately. Still, what she got was as close to full free flight for most people. Even though she'd seen probably some thousands of people, as of yet she'd only met one with any kind of mutation like her own. And he could truly fly, which she was a little bit jealous of.

"Um, why?" she asked, blinking. Sure, people tended to have those kinds of questions about her mutation the second they saw her. But Jenny had seemed to be asking for a reason, though what that reason was, she couldn't imagine.

PM
^
Jenny Thomas
 Posted: May 28 2018, 10:07 AM
Shadow
27 AGE
163 POSTS
Brotherhood
CLASS 3

Jenny cocked her head about the idea of a place for those with physical mutations. Of course, she had heard rumors but really didn't know much about where such a place would be. It might be helpful to place some of the kids there. "Not that school right?" She asked. She heard of the Morlocks but she didn't really understand them, why they weren't more active. Why they didn't side with the Brotherhood since they were the types of mutants to be targeted whenever humans went mutant hunting.

As for the question about New York, that just had Jenny cocking her head. New York was both always the same and always changing. That was being the same. New York always seemed to find its way back to itself and the changes that stuck were slow. "New York is New York." Was the only way she could answer that question.

Jenny never really tried to keep track of 'everyone' just some people. Once you had people, it became easier to find them in the crowds. To locate them. And not just by stalking. Everyone had routines. That was what her life had taught her about people. People, even on an individual level, were often predictable. It was why she had such an easy time stealing things.

Jenny gave Carmen a look when the younger woman tried to say it wasn't true. "Thanks for attempting but it really is." She rolled her eyes. She didn't really like when people tried to insist something wasn't true when it was. Carmen hadn't seen her skill or lack thereof. She had been raised with a certain type of manners. The type of those who know they are better than everyone else because they have money. Needless to say, Jenny had shed many of those and tended to look askew at those who professed manners like they were something important.

She gave a shrug about what kinds of things Kohl liked to draw. "A bit of everything I guess. He is a tattoo artist but also sketches." She explained as best she could. Honestly, she didn't know what he liked to draw but she knew what he liked. Jenny knew about art, but mostly about which types of art fetched the best prices and who'd fence what.

It was kind of a shame that the girl couldn't fly. It was just another example of how some people got pretty mutations and then there were the rest of them. "Since you can't, then you are going to have to trust me and my way of travel." Jenny stated. Putting her hand on Carmen's shoulder and willing the shadows around them.

Carmen would feel the cold there. A place where there was no light, no sun. But in the space of just a few breaths, they'd come out on a rooftop looking down near where they had just been standing. "Now if you don't mind, can I take a better look at your wings? If we are going to get you clothes, I want to make sure they will work."

PM
^
Carmen Berger
 Posted: May 31 2018, 04:40 AM
Merle
21 AGE
40 POSTS
Morlock
CLASS 2

[quote]
LEAVE IT TO THE BREEZE
"A school? No, it's called the Lighthouse. I don't know about any school." Sure, a school for mutant kids made sense when she thought about it... but she'd never really thought about it. Given that she had no desire for any sort of college or university, she wasn't much concerned about any school matters. But no doubt it would be hard for any mutant child to be in a public school with humans, especially if they had a quite visible mutation like her own. Being in a public school herself would undoubtedly have been horrible.

She smiled a little bit at the description of New York that the other gave. Yes, that was true, wasn't it? Even after being here for almost six months, she was often clueless about this place. Part of that was doubtlessly due to the fact that she had stayed at her brother's flat or the Lighthouse for ninety percent of her stay. Being around other people could be challenging, with her mutation, and she'd experienced enough passive-aggressive people to not be too excited about spending her time in the public eye. And sometimes outright aggression, which she was not fond of.

Tattoos? Wow. "He must be very good. There's not much room for mistakes with tattoos." She'd never considered getting one herself, what with her wings. Even though she knew that tattoos could technically be put anywhere, she wasn't sure whether or not she'd like one on her leg or even legs. Besides, they were supposed to be rather painful to receive, and Carmen was rather shy of any sort of pain. Her brother kept talking about getting one, but she wasn't really sure if he was going to go through with it.

Her method of travel? Carmen made a soft, quiet noise of surprise when she suddenly felt cold. What? And then they were on the roof, and she blinked in the sudden reappearance of the daylight. "Oh." That had been unexpected. "How did you do that?" Peoples' mutations were so varied and fascinating. And in this case, a bit strange, although she wouldn't exactly put it down to being uncomfortable. Definitely not something that she'd experienced before, but that was about it.

For a moment she hesitated at the request to get a better look at her wings, but then she held her arm out, parallel to the other. It was kind of unusual for anyone to really ask to touch. The Morlocks seemed to be more the type to admire from a distance, and ask the occasional question about how something worked or affected the mutant's life. And humans just tended to stare or point or do any manner of rude things. She didn't really understand it. But she trusted Jenny a little bit, so she didn't mind showing off a little.

"Usually I wear tank tops. Or t-shirts with short sleeves. The feathers can get bunched up when I wear coats and things." Usually that was just a pinching or otherwise mildly uncomfortable sensation, but sometimes it could be downright painful. And one time she'd even accidentally had a feather pulled out when it had been caught in a coat sleeve the wrong way.

PM
^
Jenny Thomas
 Posted: May 31 2018, 11:14 PM
Shadow
27 AGE
163 POSTS
Brotherhood
CLASS 3

Jenny grinned to hear it wasn't that terrible school that tried to pretend that everything was fine and dandy and that humans could LIKE and GET ALONG with mutants. That said it was open to all but she wondered how many mutants like Carmen were really there. If they were really welcomed, or just pretended and then hidden in the back.

"Don't worry about it. As long as the people in the Lighthouse treat you well." She had heard rumors of a place but had never visited. Something she needed to fix she was sure. It might be a useful place for some of these kids she didn't have space for. She hated having to leave them with nothing more than just some money but, well, she did have limited space.

There was enough thing Jenny had learned about New York. Something that some noticed and others didn't. Yes, people might give you LOOKS for a physical mutation but all in all, everyone was too absorbed in their own lives to give more than a fleeting thought. Unless they were forced from their thoughts. It was one of the reasons Jenny was so damn good at pickpocketing. Light fingers (lighter still when she used her shadows) and people just not paying any attention until they were blocks away.

"He is the best." Jenny didn't actually know that Kohl was, but the hell she was going to say anything less against her best friend. Though she hadn't yet let the man ink her. Maybe one day she'd change her mind. But with the spots already dancing on her skin it always seemed a little redundant.

Jenny just grinned for a moment. "I call it shadow-walking but it's just a form of teleportation." A little different from Kohl's though she found it was nearly impossible for her to travel via Kohl. She could, and had, done it but it usually left her sick after. His was a lot longer range than hers. "It's part of what I can do." Her's also passed through the shadow realm, hence the cold that came with it.

She grinned widely when Carmen held out her arm. Jenny didn't often touch others mutations but sometimes not only couldn't she help herself, but in this case, she was trying to get more information. Her hands running for a moment over the feathers and trying to see the span and how much extra skin there might be. "So short sleeves or sleeveless. I can work with that." She nodded, now having a better idea. Already some ideas coming into her head. "Is it just your arms or is there more on your legs?" She asked wanting to make sure before she suggested something that made Carmen woefully uncomfortable.

Once she had her answer Jenny grinned widely. "Okay, I'm going to teleport again. Just a moment of cold then we should be there." With the assent, she took Carmen's hand this time and stepped them into the shadows. As promised a moment of darkness and cold and then they were out. In a backroom of a mall. Still holding her hand, Jenny lead the way out. "Do you want to eat first or just go shopping?" Oh she was already going to have lots of fun today.

PM
^
Carmen Berger
 Posted: Jun 5 2018, 11:09 AM
Merle
21 AGE
40 POSTS
Morlock
CLASS 2

LEAVE IT TO THE BREEZE
“They're great,” Carmen said enthusiastically. “I've managed to make friends there. Nobody cares what I look like.” And that was a huge relief, considering how cruel even other mutants could be when it came to physical mutations. Carmen had always thought that mutant-on-mutant hate was little more than a story, that they would all band against the common hatred that humans had for their kind. Besides, couldn't they all just get along without needing a reason for it? What was the use in hating each other, over anything besides the most heinous of crimes?

“Do you think he'd meet me?” she couldn't help but asking. It wasn't often that she met other artists, it seemed. And whether he was mutant or not, any opportunity at meeting new people was one that she tended to take advantage of, when she didn't think it would turn sour. From Jenny's own appearance, she didn't think that this Kohl would particularly object to her own. While the other's appearance was only faintly inhuman, especially compared to her own, Kohl had to know that she was a mutant.

For all that she knew of mutants, teleportation was a new power to her. “So you can teleport using shadows?” she asked. “That's amazing.” Very few mutations failed to interest her, whether they were visible or not. Even among normal humans, there was such variety, and she could hardly keep from being interested in their affairs. When it came to mutants, well, there was even more to be curious about. It was cruel that so many of them had suffered because of who they were.

“What other powers do you have?” she asked. It sounded like the teleportation was just part of it, and Carmen had an insatiable curiosity about such things. She'd thought that she and her brother were the only mutants in the world for years, and meeting others was always an enjoyment, no matter their mutation. As of yet, she'd never met two mutants with the exact some powers, though sometimes there seemed to be some overlap. That wasn't too surprising to her, since it had to be impossible for everyone to be entirely unique given the sheer number of mutants. But it was still enjoyable.

“Just my arms and the back of my shoulders.” It wasn't much in the grand scheme of things, but certainly enough that some shirts could be hellishly uncomfortable. And some fabrics that were itchy or coarse in their own right could be completely unbearable when they were against her feathers. Fortunately it was only too common to find tank tops and the like, sometimes with backs low enough that the feathers on her shoulders were barely touched at all. Those were the most comfortable, which often meant sacrificing style for comfort, but she was hardly going to make herself miserable just so she looked pretty.

She nodded when Jenny warned her that she was going to teleport again, managing not to shiver as the cold briefly overtook her. They were in a place she didn't entirely recognise, but then again, she didn't do a whole lot of shopping. Not in fancy places like a mall or anything, she tended towards secondhand shops most of the time. People didn't seem to care as much there, and the less attention she had to draw to herself, the better. “Oh, I'm all right with either,” she said when Jenny asked if she wanted to eat first.

This post has been edited by Carmen Berger: Jun 5 2018, 11:10 AM
PM
^
Jenny Thomas
 Posted: Jun 10 2018, 11:21 PM
Shadow
27 AGE
163 POSTS
Brotherhood
CLASS 3

"I'm glad to hear it." Jenny said with a wide grin, meaning every word. She had wondered if there had been a place like that for her all those years ago if things would have been so bad for her at first. If she would have wound up down the path she wound up on.

Mutant on mutant hate wasn't something Jenny prescribed to, most of the time, but there were those, like the outright collaborators of Damocles and the X-Jerks that she would happily fight and hate on. Both were holding mutant kind back. Making the world a worse place for their kind, allowing humans to see themselves as winning. So for those two, she'd be much more willing to hate on other mutants.

She cocked her head at Carmen thinking. "He probably would but he is often an ass, so if you want to meet him, just keep that in mind." His attitude softened around certain people and Jenny wasn't sure if Carmen would be one of those. "If you still want to I'll talk to him. See if he is up for it." She offered and maybe Kohl would keep his damn mouth in check for a bit.

"It is really cool." As much as Jenny would likely never like the spots on her skin, she loved her powers. Loved to use them. Loved everything about them. "So yeah I teleport using shadows. ANd I can manipulate shadows." She mentally grabbed onto Carmen's shadow and made it wave. Simple and easy and a very good demonstration. There were, of course, many other things she could do with them but she wasn't going to give away all her secrets at the first chance she got.

She had met a few people with similar powers but rarely did two powers seem to act the same. Rarely did they seem to be copies. Even Carmen's power was similar to Bas' only lacking the feet and, she thought, the vocal abilities. But they weren't the same either. Superficially to those who didn't know better, who weren't mutants, sure, but for those who did, it really was superficial.

"Food it is!" Jenny rarely passed up a chance to eat first. The times when food was scarce, even if it hadn't been that long, still left their mark. She didn't have to worry about money anymore, didn't have to worry that she wouldn't eat.

She lead the way to the food court, her shadows already having gotten more than enough money to eat. The bills skimmed and the wallets dumped in various places around the mall. Sometimes even returning them to the owner. Just less the cash. "Choose a place." She grinned. Even if people were looking at Carmen, it was very clear how little Jenny cared about the stairs. It just reinforced the idea that they all deserved to lose all their money.

PM
^
Carmen Berger
 Posted: Jun 15 2018, 04:42 PM
Merle
21 AGE
40 POSTS
Morlock
CLASS 2

LEAVE IT TO THE BREEZE
"It's the first place I've been that's so open with being accepting of physical mutants. I didn't really believe it when I heard about it, at first, but it turned out to be better than I thought." A place full of heavily mutated people, where nobody could mock her for her appearance, had seemed like nothing more than a pipe dream for the future. Yet it had existed, and had even welcomed her, which was more than she could say for anywhere else, really. Even her brother, try though he did, didn't have the same outlook on life that she and the other Morlocks did.

She laughed a little at Jenny's description of her friend. "Well, as long as he's not an ass about mutants." Carmen didn't get insulted too easily, unless it came to someone commenting on her appearance. It was the only sore spot that she really had, even if she was usually pretty shy in general. But still, any insults that came her way didn't tend to break her skin, unless someone was outright harassing her. And then she was just more likely to freeze up than get angry or try to fight back. "Yeah, I'd like to. Ass or not."

The brief demonstration of Jenny's powers was impressive, simple as it was. "Wow, that's so cool." She'd had no idea that shadow manipulation was a possibility when it came to mutants, or anything really, but it looked like something that could be useful. "So what does it feel like? Moving someone's shadow around?" Unfamiliar as she was with other mutations, she couldn't even manage a guess, but she'd bet that it hadn't been easy for the other woman at first. Even her own mutation had come with its learning curve, and all she'd had to figure out initially was how to keep her feathers from getting brushed up the wrong way.

Once Jenny mentioned food, it didn't take long for Carmen to start getting hungry. And the mall food court had a lot of options. Normally she just picked up a quick something microwavable at the grocery store, or cheap fast food from the strip mall nearest the Morlocks' Lighthouse. Usually that meant McDonald's, and Carmen still hadn't managed to develop a liking for it. She was more used to homemade meals, from growing up with her mother cooking dinner every night, but the freedom was a nice tradeoff. Although every so often she and her brother would manage to get together to do something nice for dinner, and she always enjoyed that.

"How about there?" she suggested, pointing out a Chick-fil-A. She'd only eaten there once or twice, and it had actually been some months since she'd last been to one. But the waffle fries, from what she remembered, were definitely worth revisiting the place. And the chicken sandwiches weren't at all bad, either, not that she tended to be too picky.

PM
^
Jenny Thomas
 Posted: Jun 18 2018, 08:06 AM
Shadow
27 AGE
163 POSTS
Brotherhood
CLASS 3

There was something to be said about a place that was accepting of physical mutations. It was a nice refuge from the world at large or even someplace like that fucking school that didn't seem to really have physically mutated people there. If they had, maybe they would have found Jenny. "The place I live it's the same. It doesn't matter if you have a physical mutation or not. We are open to all." It was a step, at least, to getting Carmen thinking about other places as accepting. Jenny doubted the girl would be useful for many things involving the Brotherhood but they always needed supporters and allies. Jenny was good at getting those.

"He is a mutant. He better not be an ass about it or I'll kick his." Jenny laughed. "He is just an ass in general though. Mutant or not, he'll be an ass to you either way." He wouldn't be likely to comment on physical appearance, at least not in that way. "Have to give me some way to reach you." She grinned. See, it was slow steps like this that got people on their side. Not the long drawn out speeches Mags liked to make. Those didn't hurt, but they were less effective.

There was a frown on Jenny's face, and a furrowing of her brow. "Feels like?" The switch to English was intentional to make sure she didn't misunderstand the French. "It doesn't feel like anything." She just thought about it really. The thing that had been hardest for her to learn was how to pick with the shadows. That required a bit more thought. It still didnt' feel like anything, just a thought, but learning to do it without tugging as the item slipped out was much harder.

Jenny understood hunger, understood just wanting something fresh or homemade or different than what she could pull out of the garbage. It got better with Jensen. Learning to steal meant she had money for food. He had been horrified to come home one day and find fifteen cans of tuna and twenty packages of Ramen, all 'just in case' Jenny had said. Food that would last a while and if something happened she wouldn't have to worry about going hungry for a bit. Now that she never had to worry about food, she could afford to be picky. Which is why she allowed the look of total disgust on her face. "Never there. They hate us. All the money we give to them? They use to pass anti-mutant ordinances."

She pointed to KFC instead. "They are at least a bit better? Or there is the steak company." Though they didn't have chicken. At least she didn't have to worry about so much of the money going to hurting them.

PM
^
Carmen Berger
 Posted: Jun 18 2018, 09:05 PM
Merle
21 AGE
40 POSTS
Morlock
CLASS 2

LEAVE IT TO THE BREEZE
"Oh, really? Where do you live?" Carmen hadn't seen her anywhere around the Lighthouse, and from the way the other had spoken about some school, she didn't think that either of them would be found there in the near future. But she'd heard of nowhere else like those two places and it made her curious. Sure, she also hadn't really known that a school existed until Jenny asked her about it, but there couldn't be any true harm in being curious. As far as she could tell, physically mutated mutants tended to stick together, especially when it came to sharing safe places to spend the night.

But for all her unfamiliarity with the city and its various mutant havens, she at least was learning a little bit about Jenny's friend. "I can handle rude," Carmen assured her with a little smile. "It's the judgmental ones that I don't like." And they were the ones that got under her skin and made her unsure about herself. Well, when people called you a freak to your face, there was definitely a reason to be self-conscious. She'd thought that she was over it, a handful of times, but she'd always been proven wrong. Her brother had always defended her when she was growing up, but she was an adult now, and she wanted to be able to handle a few harsh words on her own.

"Yes, of course," she agreed when Jenny mentioned having a way to reach her. "I got a new mobile when I moved here, my brother insisted on it." Those words were accompanied with a slight roll of her eyes. Her old phone had been perfectly adequate, but her brother had insisted that the occasion merited a gift. And the new one was, truthfully, much nicer than the one that she'd had before. It didn't occur to her that her new companion might have any sort of ulterior motive, since she really was a bit more naive than she should be in a city like New York. No doubt it would get her into trouble someday, but that was nothing unusual.

"Really? It doesn't feel like it's cold, or like you're holding something, or anything?" Carmen was a little surprised at that, but then again, she wasn't entirely sure what kind of answer she'd been expecting. But with how open Jenny had been about her mutation so far - and Carmen herself had been more open than normal in return - she kind of hoped that the other woman wouldn't suddenly clam up now. Having not known that mutants existed outside of her and her brother for so long, she tended to find herself asking more questions than might be strictly appropriate.

"They do?" she asked, surprised. "Why is that?" She couldn't imagine what a business or company would have to gain by being against people. It surely couldn't matter to them that much? But she also had no reason to really doubt what Jenny was saying to her, so she accepted it. "KFC would be great," she agreed when it was pointed out to her. For some reason, she was in the mood for some chicken. Why, she couldn't say, but it wasn't often that she ate out, so at least she was taking advantage of the opportunity in order to enjoy herself.

PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

OPTIONSPages: (2) 1 2  REPLY NEW TOPIC START POLL

Affiliates
Candyland Couture Shadowplay
UNCANNY EVOLUTION Heroes Reborn WHAT WE CHOOSE
GLITTER & GOLD Infinite Dreams