Posted: Oct 1 2017, 01:02 AM
Dead Girl
fifty-one AGE
54 POSTS
Morlock
CLASS 4

September 2017

===

Evening approached, the fading sun told her so. People were leaving, those who had come to pay their respects. No funerals today, just tear tracks and sad faces. You'd ask why anyone would hang around in such a place. Moonbeam would tell you that she belongs there as much as anyone else. The dead should dwell amongst the dead, should they not? Indeed, the undead mutant spent as much time in the cemeteries as anywhere else. She was one of the few Morlocks who spent more than minimal time on the surface. It wasn't that she blended in, but she could explain it away in certain settings. Dark areas, raves, muted lounges, costumed events...and cemeteries. Eyes may have glanced over at the woman in black, but mourners don't focus on such things for long.

There was nothing special about this day. Clad in her typical black attire of boots, jeans, shirt, and hooded jacket, Dead Girl whiled away the day in a tree. Her body did not transmit things like soreness and stiffness anymore. Discomfort? You needed active nerves for that, and her had stopped carrying messages to and from her brain long ago. So she could easily loiter up there, no matter how awkward her position appeared. As for time...so? She had nothing pressing to do. No job, or need of the things a paying job would give her. No, things like food and sustenance, shelter...these things meant nothing to a living dead body. Illness did not come, so no medicine. Weather, be it cold or heat, did not register. And it would take quite a concerted effort to render her lifeless body useless. Time meant nothing to the undead, to a technical immortal. Was she immortal? That usually meant you couldn't die. Did the term still work if she was already dead?

Someone was approaching her in her isolated little tree as she mused on. Dead Girl didn't look down, didn't give indication that she was paying any attention to the person standing at the foot of the tree. Despite this facade, when she spoke, it wasn't the air of someone aiming to talk to themselves. "I suppose that you've come looking for me for a reason? I can't be that interesting to stare at." She could, actually, given her complexion, but it wasn't exactly broad daylight. Her pigment 'issues' would be harder to see here. The crimson in her eyes wasn't of the glow-in-the-dark variety, though she'd found that she could kind of make it so for a brief time. It wasn't terribly dark yet, here in the dwindling sunlight. So they'd be visible if she opted to come down. DG wasn't worried. Anyone purposefully looking, here of all places, wasn't someone she needed to hide her physical appearance from.

This post has been edited by Moonbeam: Oct 10 2017, 08:35 AM
PM EMAIL
^
Moonbeam
 Posted: Dec 23 2017, 04:25 AM
Dead Girl
fifty-one AGE
54 POSTS
Morlock
CLASS 4

The mutant known as Dead Girl didn't come down from her perch, hardly shifted from her position. She just waited. It was like this, sometimes. If she waited long enough, they'd speak up. They always--well, almost always did. Some lost their nerve in the face of her silence, like a judgment had come upon them. But again..time. They came back eventually. They all did. You had to reach a certain stage within yourself to seek her out. To go through the trouble to even be able to find out. It wasn't like she went around advertising. So the hoops they went through...it was something else. 'They' weren't numerous, but their number was scattered across many locations and over time. Here in New York, this was actually just the second person to come forward. And so she gave the person below a little time. Someone like her, well, time was a construct. Arbitrary. What was time to the dead? So her reclined position didn't change.

The person waiting below was decidedly more...grim? Determined? She guessed you had to be, to pursue something like this. People had all sorts of sayings about the dead. Don't speak ill of the dead. The dead tell no tales. Take ___ to your grave. Silent as the grave. In the age of mutants, such concepts were laughable. No, you didn't have necromancers or people like her running rampant in every city, but they existed. She existed. And now they were turning those old sayings, and more, upside down.

It must be so distressing... Perhaps that was part of why some humans were now crusading for their destruction. A fruitless task. Didn't they realize? Mutants were born, not made. They couldn't sniff them all out. A mutant could be born from a pair of humans who both possessed no powers. It was a lottery almost - though whether it was one of fortune or misfortune was up to personal opinion. And did those humans really suppose that mutants as a whole would sit quietly during this attempted eradication? There were already forces rising against them, forces with a mind of violence. They'd gain in number, overwhelming even those mutants wanting to live in peace. Oh, you had groups like Damocles, but for how long? Would groups like that really be able to hold the line in the face of blatant genocide?

"You're right...I..I came to ask for a favor. I..I don't have much, but I can pay you."

The words roused Dead Girl from her musings, and reminded her that someone was actually there for something. It seemed that they had gathered their nerve. She didn't come down, but did roll over onto her side, facing them. "Is that so?" she replied. "And what payment can you offer someone like me? You seem to have an idea of who I am....or do you?" For what use did she have for money? Food, clothes, medicine, frivolous pleasures?
PM EMAIL
^
Cessily Kincaid
 Posted: Mar 15 2018, 04:52 PM
Mercury
25 AGE
24 POSTS
Morlock
CLASS 2

The cemetery was not her place to frequent. It gave her the chills as she stuck her hands into the pocket of her sweatshirt. Unfortunately, Moonbeam was a good friend, and Mercury pushed through her fears to hang out with her friends where they felt more comfortable. It probably should have been weird to her that she hung out in a graveyard with a woman that was technically a zombie, but it didn't. If anything, she felt more comfortable around the woman than she did around some others. People with physical mutations were always higher up in her book than people that didn't have them. Maybe it was just because she wasn't sure how some people would react to her. Either way, she'd made her way across the grass watching the situation that was happening.

Mercury tilted her head to the side not even really knowing what was going on. She tried to be patient, but she wasn't one for patience when it came to being around her friends. Walking forward, she situated herself beside the person looking at them. "Maybe if you don't have anything to offer, you should scram. Some people have better things to do." She made shooing movements before crossing her arms against her chest looking at DG in the tree.

"Hi." It was all she said as she tilted her head to the side. Mercury didn't need to say much in way of conversation when hanging around the dead girl, and it probably helped that she didn't have to say much. The redhead twirled her finger around her hair. "I was bored, and I figured I would find you here. What was that all about? I mean were they hoping to reconnect with a dead person from their past or something? I wasn't aware you did readings. Maybe you could help me find my cat from when I was seven and got out of the house never to return." Okay, so she couldn't always stay so quiet, but she tried.

Mercury kicked at some of the grass thinking it could use a mow. Either way, she was just glad she'd found the other woman otherwise her night probably would have been boring. "You wanna get out of here? Or we can stay...I mean I'm totally not creeped out by this place."

PM
^
Moonbeam
 Posted: Mar 25 2018, 04:10 AM
Dead Girl
fifty-one AGE
54 POSTS
Morlock
CLASS 4

Being someone not entirely concerned with time, Moonbeam was fine watching the person flounder. Would they manage to choke out a response? Someone interested in money or something would jump on this, but concerns like that were for the living. What would she even do with the money? Philanthropy? She could just give it all away, but then expectations form and it draws attention... The undead mutant just wasn't the type. So really, she didn't care what they offered. The question was more out of passing curiosity than anything else. What would they offer? She'd just say whatever to it, but they didn't know that. Her face gave nothing away.

"Maybe if you don't have anything to offer, you should scram. Some people have better things to do." Too bad for them, the latest arrival was not so patient.

An unexpected arrival. Dead Girl was somewhat surprised to see Mercury here. The cemetery wasn't her favorite place (or the favorite place of most people). She didn't /look/ distressed, but that didn't necessarily mean anything. The woman lurked in the tree a bit more, looking down with some interest. Mercury was one of the few souls she tolerated, or rather one of the few that could stand to be around her. Rather than find her personality and behavior off-putting, it seemed to suit Mercury better than others. It was all quite peculiar, but as long as the woman wasn't trying to change her, DG figured it was fine. Meanwhile, the hesitant would-be clients had slunk away, what little nerve they'd dredged up being fully submerged again by Mercury.

"Hi." Crimson eyes looked down at her. "Hello to you too."

Moonbeam didn't respond beyond that, figuring that Mercury would come out with it, whatever 'it' was, on her own. "I was bored, and I figured I would find you here." DG snorted, amused. Boredom. Yes, boredom had driven DG to places and things she wouldn't have done otherwise sometimes too.

"What was that all about? I mean were they hoping to reconnect with a dead person from their past or something? I wasn't aware you did readings. Maybe you could help me find my cat from when I was seven and got out of the house never to return."

It wasn't surprising that she didn't know. Beyond not talking about her abilities much in general - times of action did all the talking there - DG didn't talk much about that either. It was just something to pass the time.
It started out as her trying to better understand it, so the people coming to her were actually more like guinea pigs, experiments. They didn't need to know that though. "I don't know what exactly they wanted, but trying to reach someone on the other side was likely part of it." She wasn't known as a mercenary after all. "I can't help you with your cat," she said dryly. Or she guessed. Connecting to deceased pets wasn't something she had ever tried, or thought to try, but she imagined that it wouldn't work.

"You wanna get out of here? Or we can stay...I mean I'm totally not creeped out by this place."

Amused red eyes fell on Mercury once more. "We should stay; I'm quite comfortable here." She smiled, or did an approximation of one. It was slightly eerie-looking and was more like her mouth twitched at the corners. "And so is 'everyone else'."

Despite saying that, Dead Girl came down from her perch. "Where did you have in mind?"

Tag @Cessily Kincaid
PM EMAIL
^
Cessily Kincaid
 Posted: Apr 24 2018, 03:09 PM
Mercury
25 AGE
24 POSTS
Morlock
CLASS 2

There was an obvious discomfort in Mercury's stance. It wasn't so much that the location had her uncomfortable. It was that there were people around. People that looked completely normal. They were the types that would have judged them had they not needed something from them. Mercury got peeved by people like that almost as much as she did when she was stared at. This was why she had stepped forward almost scaring the normie out of their skin. That might have amused Mercury a little more than she had put on as she crossed her arms waiting for the customer to be on their way. There was no reason for them to be there.

The redhead relaxed more once the person was gone and it was just her, DG, and a bunch of dead people in their graves. That was a weirdly comforting thought in the woman's head. She wondered if there would be a time when she'd be put in the ground. With her mutation, she didn't know how aging or any of that worked. Mercury wasn't going to put her life on the line to find out either as she spoke to the woman in the tree. A smile on her lips as she tilted her head back a bit to see DG better.

Mercury looked around them when DG said they could stick around the cemetery. It wasn't exactly a happening place that had a lot going on. This was too quiet. The loudness of the city not really touching this place. It was certainly eerie. The fact that the zombie woman had smiled at her made her take a step back. She could have easily said forget it, but they were friends. Mercury saw them as friends because they both a form of mutations that made them look different. Maybe Mercury just wanted to be around people like her. Either way, she would have done anything to get away from her room even come to the cemetery to see the dead woman.

As DG hopped down, she flashed a smile. Her white eyes meeting DG's red ones as the woman asked what she had in mind. "Well, this is New York. There are a lot of options. I think we walk until we figure it out. There has to be some trouble out there that we can get ourselves into." The redhead shrugged her shoulders. Anyplace would be better than this where she felt like she was being watched. A part of her wanted to ask if there were people watching them at that moment. "Also don't worry about the cat thing. I don't think I want to find out what happened to Muffin."

PM
^
Moonbeam
 Posted: May 10 2018, 08:45 PM
Dead Girl
fifty-one AGE
54 POSTS
Morlock
CLASS 4

They made for a peculiar pair really. It was astounding that someone could put up with Dead Girl's not-exactly-sunny personality long enough to determine that she wasn't entirely terrible. She was just somewhat...herself. It was a tad difficult to describe the mixture of morbidity, dark humor, apathy, and jaded airs that surrounded the woman. Her life...and after life experiences were a tad skewed towards the unpleasant side of humanity. Rather than try to explain it. Consider what having your mutation - neither parent is a mutant, so shocker there - be triggered via being unexpectedly murdered by someone you loved would do to your outlook on things. Consider further that initial attempts to die failed miserably, and just seemed to reveal other oddities in your mutation.

Also keep in mind that unlike television's interpretation of living beyond death, you do not quite look as you did in life. Oh, her skin was rotting off or anything, but there was that peculiar hue to her skin. That deadened look to her nails. DG had no idea what was going on with her eyes, but those did not look as they did in life either. All that she retained was a vague sense of her youthful age. The youthful dead. Great.

Despite this, Mercury seemed to do just fine around the standoffish undead mutant. Perhaps it was their mutually unique appearances? Being around 'normal'-looking people seemed to aggravate the woman. Perhaps it grated her in ways similar to how Luna sometimes felt around the living. It was a constant reminder of that which was beyond reach for reasons beyond your control. Not that they would let you forget it if you tried. Or maybe the redhead found DG's prickly demeanor was fine with her because it seemed more honest? DG was typically too apathetic to pretend to like someone. Either she stuck around or not. Either she tolerated you or not. Simple. For all the intricacies within her, judging her interactions with others was usually pretty straightforward.

The elder woman easily dropped down to the ground. Spending her whole day here was fairly simple, and common. What was time for someone like her anyway? In this sense, something like 'wasting time' had no meaning to her. Whatever Mercury wanted to do would be fine. Besides, given their geographic location, there was always /something/.

"Well, this is New York. There are a lot of options. I think we walk until we figure it out. There has to be some trouble out there that we can get ourselves into." The accuracy of that was astounding. DG nodded. "I can confidently say that something has happened every time I go out." Like clockwork. The only catch was figuring out what it would be. Would she be dragged into someone else's squabble? Perhaps an anti-mutant demonstration? Maybe a clinic would blow up? Or maybe boredom would strike and she make someone's problem into her problem for entertainment purposes. It was like roulette...except she never managed to die.

"Also don't worry about the cat thing. I don't think I want to find out what happened to Muffin."

Moonbeam smirked. "Good call. Animals are so difficult to read." Not to mention beyond her power. Also, they /were/ being watched, but Mercury didn't ask and DG didn't volunteer the information. She just waved a hand behind her as they left.

Tag @Cessily Kincaid
PM EMAIL
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

OPTIONS REPLY NEW TOPIC START POLL

Affiliates
Candyland Couture Shadowplay
Age of Heroes We Are Warriors UNCANNY EVOLUTION
Heroes Reborn WHAT WE CHOOSE GLITTER & GOLD