The First Time That I Saw Your Face, Tag: Jaybird
Jude Tanner
 Posted: Jul 12 2018, 01:29 PM
Prophet
16 AGE
30 POSTS
X-Resident
CLASS 2

Jude was starting to feel more than a little overwhelmed about everything that she was going to have to learn. She knew that it was going to be a lot, but she didn’t know that it was pretty much going to be everything. She had never really thought about her education before, mostly because she thought that she would never be anything more than a housewife and that meant she didn’t really need to very educated when it came to academic subjects, but now that she had escaped from it she was going to have so many different more options. Or at least she would if she could actually get caught up and be able to finish high school when she was supposed to.

The only problem was certain parts of it kept getting way too interesting. She thought that she would be done with history after only a few weeks but she kept finding more and more interesting things which ended with her getting more and more books and wanting to read more. She knew that she needed to move on, but it was hard when she just couldn’t stop reading about it. She knew that she needed to move on an learn some science and math, and maybe read some of the books that people her age should have, but she also knew that she had a few months before she actually had to have this all done so she had made a compromise with herself, one day she would get to do history, and another day she would work on another subject. It might not have been a perfect plan but it was better than anything else she had.

She had been in her room reading a book about Greek Mythology all morning in her room, and she had actually finished it. She had frowned a little when she realized there was no more to read but realized it might be a good thing because she could return that book and start reading something else. Maybe something about Biology but before she could that she needed to return her book to the library.

She took a moment to make sure that her hair and make up were done, she quickly changed into a pair of shorts and off the shoulder t-shirt before slipping on a pair of wedged sandals and after a quick check to make sure her room was clean before she left to go drop off her book.

It didn’t take her long in the library to return her book and exchange it for a book about biology. The book did have a bunch of animals on the cover, but she wasn’t sure if she trusted that it was interesting as it looked, but it was something she had to learn. She thanked the librarian before leaving the library and heading toward the great hall. She was still convinced this book was going to be boring so maybe reading it outside would help her focus on a subject she wasn't too excited about.

The school had been relatively quiet lately so Jude didn’t think twice before opening her book and turning the pages trying to figure out what exactly she had gotten herself into. It really wasn’t as interesting as history but it didn’t look completely boring. She was too busy leafing through her book and assuming that there was no one around to notice that she wasn’t completely alone until she felt herself run into someone.

She took a quick step back. “Oh my god. I am so sorry.” She couldn’t believe that she had been so careless and just ran into some innocent person. “I wasn’t looking where I was going.” She frowned a little while she looked at him. He was tall and had bright red hair and she was pretty sure she had never seen him before, but that didn’t mean much, she had been spending most of her time with her brothers or trying to catch up with work so there were probably a lot of people that she hadn’t met yet. “I didn’t hurt you did I?”

Her eyes flickered over to the suitcases and she had more evidence that he as new and she probably just traumatized someone. “I really am sorry. My name is Jude. Do you need any help?” He didn’t look like he had anyone with him so maybe she could get him someone, or show him where to go.

@[Jay Guthrie]
PM
^
Joshua Guthrie
 Posted: Jul 13 2018, 04:15 PM
Icarus
17 AGE
6 POSTS
X-Resident
CLASS 2

This had to be the longest flight in history, why did it take so long to fly from Kentucky to New York? Jay felt like he could have flown here faster on his own, but he didn't realize how far he actually traveled. He was cranky after being crammed in a plane for so long, and wearing a shirt, he hated shirts ever since he got wings. They made his wings feel suffocated, or that feeling you get when you have a wedgie.

After what felt like another hour the plan finally landed and he went through the long grueling process of finding his backs and getting a cab. The ride to Westchester was long from the airport in the city but it was more comfortable than the plane. Finally the cab ride came to and end and Jay saw himself standing in front of a large gate with a big X in the top center of the gate where it split to open. With one bag strapped over one shoulder, another bag being wheeled behind him, and two guitar cases being held in the other hand he walked through the gates and up to the front door.

Letting go of his suitcase on wheels he knocked on the front door and waited for an answer, and after a minute he was still waiting. He decided to just try the door and it opened right up so he let himself inside. "Hello?" he called out after setting his guitars and bags down and looking around. "This place is huge, ah' could get lost in here." he said while just looking around the immediate foyer.

He was thinking about why he was here, mama sent him here to get help and to protect the kids from his recklessness but part of Jay just felt abandoned by her. But why should Jay feel any different, Sam was gone and hasn't been back in who knows how long, Paige was probably dead somewhere, dad was gone, Julia was gone. How was Jay supposed to care about anything when the people he cared about most and loved more than anything just kept leaving? "Knock it off Jay, ya can't be doing this here on yer first day." he said to himself to snap him out of his thoughts. It was mid afternoon when he arrived and he wasn't sure which way to go or who was around, he was expecting to see a lot more people.

He picked his guitars back up and grabbed his suitcase and started walking deeper into the mansion, maybe everyone was in the back. He was studying the rooms as he entered them, making a mental map of the place as he explored it. He could hear footsteps coming from behind him so he stopped and turned in the direction of them to see who it was. Just as he did a girl with her face buried in a book walked right into him. She backed up quickly and was embarrassed, he didn't get pushed back by her but was still surprised. She was shorter than him with blonde hair and one of the prettiest faces he's seen since Julia. He set his guitars down and let go of his suitcase and reached a hand out to her to make sure she was alright.

"Ah'm quite fine ma'am I did not mean ta get in yer way. Ah am so sorry."

“I wasn’t looking where I was going.” She wasn't but Jay would never admit that, he just shook his head no in response. “I didn’t hurt you did I?”

"No ma'am ah am quite alright, no harm down that a smile can't fix." he said and then smiled at her. He saw her look at her suitcases and realize he was new here. “I really am sorry. My name is Jude. Do you need any help?”

"Pleasure to meet ya Miss Jude ah'm Jay Guthrie and actually yes ah do need some help. Ah have no idea where to go, ah just got dropped off by the taxi and ah guess ah'm supposed to speak with someone about getting a room?" He took a look around the area again and then back at her and her book as well caught his eye. "May ah carry your book for ya Miss Jude? Least ah can do for bumping into ya and you showing meh where ta go." he didn't want to be presumptuous and just take the book from her but he'd offer to take it. He felt a little more at ease knowing he wasn't alone in this big mansion, and that the first person he met was his age.

This post has been edited by Joshua Guthrie: Jul 13 2018, 04:15 PM
PM
^
Jude Tanner
 Posted: Jul 15 2018, 12:47 AM
Prophet
16 AGE
30 POSTS
X-Resident
CLASS 2

Jude was probably the worst person in the history of bad choices to be the one to show someone new around. She was still pretty new herself, and she shad spent most of her limited time at the school with her nose buried in her book. She had so much she needed to catch up on she didn’t really have time to do too much exploring. She knew where the stuff was that she needed to know and not much else. So mostly her room, the library, the kitchen, and her brothers’ rooms. She hadn’t wandered too far from those places and if anyone wanted to see any place other than those than she was pretty useless.

Even though she had no idea what she was doing she couldn’t bring herself to walk away from a new person. Especially one that looked like he was as lost Jude felt before Jake had explained everything to her.She had been lucky that she had family that had adopted her and brought her so she had had someone to hold her hand and walk her through everything. Not everyone was lucky, in fact from what she had been told a lot of the kids were kicked out of their homes, and had a hard time. Her life hadn’t been great but it could have been a lot worse and she really couldn’t just leave someone looking lost and confused.

She couldn’t believe that she had been so stupid as to run into someone. She really should have known better than to be walking while reading a book. This place may have been huge but there were a lot of people there and it was pretty crowded most of the time. The fact that she had only run into one person was actually kind of miracle. “Oh. Please don’t apologize. I am the dummy who was walking around reading instead of paying attention.” She gave him an awkward giggle as she snapped the book shut. “There are places designated for reading and I probably should have waited until I was at one of those before opening my book.” At least he was bigger than she was so her running into him hadn’t knocked him down or even knocked him back.

She giggled again as she pushed her hair behind her shoulder and flashed him a bright smile. “Well, I can do smiles easily enough.” She laughed again as she glanced down for a few second before looking back up to him and and smiling again. “Sometime I do it without thinking about it.” Which was true, especially since she had left Wyoming. She was just so happy all the time she couldn’t help but smile a lot.

“It’s nice to meet you to Jay, but...can you just call me Jude?” She didn’t know why, but being called Miss made her feel like there was something crawling in her stomach, and not in a good way. “Oh. do they know you’re coming or is it a surprise.” She shook her head. “Not that it really matter. We need to go to the same place, but I was just being curious.” She had been shown where the administration office was. “It’s not very far and getting you a room shouldn’t take long.” They probably had it all down to a science and could take care of getting people pretty quickly.

“Oh no I couldn’t allow you do that. You have so much I really do have just this book.” She looked back at all the things he had with him and than pushed her hair back out of her eyes. “If you want I can help you carry some stuff.” She looked down at the book in her hand and frowned, it really didn’t look interesting. “I can even help you get settled if you want. I know it can be a little much.” and it would offer her another activity other than reading about biology.

@[ Joshua Guthrie]

This post has been edited by Jude Tanner: Jul 15 2018, 12:47 AM
PM
^
Joshua Guthrie
 Posted: Jul 15 2018, 09:38 AM
Icarus
17 AGE
6 POSTS
X-Resident
CLASS 2

Jay was normally better with first encounters and meeting people, but if he had to guess the circumstances of his arrival and the overall feeling of being lost seemed to diminish that. Jay stood there with this girl the appeared his age and back home he would of loved to just talk with her. He was such a friendly guy and talking to people was just natural for him. But this girl seemed real sweet, her reading choice was a bit off, but sweet.

“Oh. Please don’t apologize. I am the dummy who was walking around reading instead of paying attention.” he did gesture to her book. "Yeah ah happened to notice yer choice of reading material, some excitin' stuff ya got there." he said jokingly. “There are places designated for reading and I probably should have waited until I was at one of those before opening my book.” He looked around the mansion and noted the vastness and emptiness of where they were now. "Well ah don't blame ya for not waitin' or lookin' around."

When she gave him a smile he gave her one right back. "That's a beautiful smile ya got there, it brings out yer eyes which are also very nice." he said in his sweet southern accent. He noted the look on her face when he called her 'Miss Jude'.

“It’s nice to meet you to Jay, but...can you just call me Jude?”

"Ah certainly can mi.. Jude, you can call meh Jay, Jaybird, Joshua is mah actual name but it's only said when ah'm in trouble." he said with a smile. “Oh. do they know you’re coming or is it a surprise.” She shook her head. “Not that it really matter. We need to go to the same place, but I was just being curious.” She had been shown where the administration office was. “It’s not very far and getting you a room shouldn’t take long.”

When asked if they knew he was coming his smile faded and turned into a sad look as he looked down at his guitars and reached down to pick them up. "They know ah'm comin', my mama called em and told em." his voice could tell the story that there was more to this and that whatever reason for him being here it hurt him deeply. He turned and grabbed his suitcase handle and when he turned back around to face her he had softened up his expression to have a hint of a smile showing again, fight back the hurt.

They started walking, side by side but her about a step in front of him as the lead. “Oh no I couldn’t allow you do that. You have so much I really do have just this book.” He silently nodded and just walked with her, enjoying the company of someone who didn't have his past hanging over them and dictating what she did, what she said, or how she acted. He actually felt a sense of relief, kind of like a weight lifted off him in a sense. He was guessing that the staff kept his dark secret among staff members only and did not alert any students.

“If you want I can help you carry some stuff.” She looked down at the book in her hand and frowned, it really didn’t look interesting. “I can even help you get settled if you want. I know it can be a little much.”

His barely noticeable smile turned into a bigger and brighter smile, one that she should like as much as he liked hers. "Ah would be delighted if you would be so kind. Is everyone as nice here as you are? Or did ah just happen to be the luckiest guy here ta 'bump' into ya?"This really was turning out to be better than he was expecting when mama sent him away.
PM
^
Jude Tanner
 Posted: Jul 15 2018, 12:49 PM
Prophet
16 AGE
30 POSTS
X-Resident
CLASS 2

There was a time not too long ago when the only people that Jude had interacted with were her sisters. The Tanner farm was far enough off the beaten path that people didn’t really go there unless they had to, and for the most part unless you were a Tanner you really didn’t have much business there. Her brother’s were around but for the most part the boys and the girls were kept separated. The except was Enoch since it was his “job” To make sure that she behaved. Jude wasn’t fond of him or that job so she would just stay away from him. But now that she was out of the house and didn’t have to deal with any of their crazy rules she was finding out she loved talking to people and really had no problem walking up to them and just start a conversation. As long as someone would stand still and talk to her she was happy.

Jude flushed the slightest of pinks at the mention of her book. She didn’t think he was being cruel or anything, but she knew it wasn’t a typical book and she was a little embarrassed to be hauling it around like this. “Yeah. I am trying to get excited about it, but its a little hard to do.” She glanced down at the book so she didn’t have to look at him while she confessed why she was carrying a textbook around with her. “The school I went to before wasn’t a good one so I am trying to make sure I am ready for when school start.” It wasn’t exactly true but she didn’t want to go into the home schooling thing, it was too weird and she didn’t want anyone judging her. She glanced around when he did and shrugged a little. “I don’t know what’s going on. Usually there are people everywhere. It looks like it was nice outside, maybe everyone is enjoying that.” It would probably be the easiest way to explain why there was no one around.

She was pink when he noticed her book, but when he complimented her smile and her eyes her cheeks flushed a dark red and without realizing what she was doing she but on her thumb nail for a second. “Thank you Jay.” She didn’t know what else she was supposed to say when she was given a compliment like this. “People tell me I smile a lot...or too much, so its good that at least one person likes them.”

She giggled again and smiled. “Well, I guess I’ll just have to stick to Jay, I wouldn’t want you to thinking that you were in some kind of trouble.” Part of her wondered if she should mention the Emanuella mess, but she decided not to. She never planned on letting anyone use that name again and Jake had even helped her file all the paperwork she had to make sure her name was legally Jude.

As soon as she asked the question about if they knew he was coming. She hadn’t known it at the time but apparently that had been the wrong thing to ask. Her eyes fell down slightly and she was really hoping that she hadn’t somehow managed to mess this up. “Oh. Well than they probably have a lot of the preliminary stuff done. That’s good, it means you won’t have to sit there as long or answer as many questions.” She was trying to find the bright side to things and hopefully put that smile back on his face.

She was happy that Jay didn’t seem as mad as she thought he was going to. He just seemed a little hurt which was actually worse as far as she was concerned. She wanted to tell him that if he wanted to talk about it, but the had just met so she didn’t want to get too personal with him. So instead she returned his smile as she picked up one of his bags and slung it over her shoulder. “That’s an unfair question. There are some people who are really nice and some who are grumpy and than everything in between. Plus you know everyone has their off days. It’s just you know...normal.” She started walking toward the office that he needed to be at. “I am pretty new too, and I know it can be hard so doing anything to help make me happy.” She stopped walking for a moment and turned so she could say in a near whisper. “Besides, I really don’t want to read that book so anything I can do to put it off I am happy.”

PM
^
Joshua Guthrie
 Posted: Jul 15 2018, 02:00 PM
Icarus
17 AGE
6 POSTS
X-Resident
CLASS 2

Standing there while she tried to explain her book of choice was actually a little cute. “Yeah. I am trying to get excited about it, but its a little hard to do.” Taking another look at it again he didn't expect Biology to be the most interesting of reading habits during summer break. "Yeah ah can't see myself being to thrilled ta read it either." They started walking again and she continued on. “The school I went to before wasn’t a good one so I am trying to make sure I am ready for when school start.” He nodded his head understandingly. "Ah understand completely, when mah pa died when ah was younger me and mah older siblings took time away from school. Mah siblings had to do the same thing before they went back."

This was good, he was glad to have bumped into her and have someone to talk to while heading for administration. He had this moment all planned out in his head. He was gonna show up and walk alone to administration, maybe see people as he did, maybe not. But he wouldn't be happy, he would only smile if he saw someone and just as a greeting. He was still screwed up and depressed. He still wanted to die, he knew he was here cause mama wanted him away from his younger siblings. He couldn't blame her, his recklessness could have gotten them hurt or worse.

“Well, I guess I’ll just have to stick to Jay, I wouldn’t want you to thinking that you were in some kind of trouble.”

Jay was shaken from his thoughts and looked at her. "Ah sure hope ah don't ever get in trouble with ya Jude, yer mah first friend I made here and ah'd hate to get cut off from those smiles." he watched as she blushed and bit her nail and immediately he felt goosebumps go down his back and the only thing he could think was 'wow!' “That’s an unfair question. There are some people who are really nice and some who are grumpy and than everything in between. Plus you know everyone has their off days. It’s just you know...normal.” His mind just kind of trailed off again at the mention of everyone else. 'yeah, normal...' there's something he has not been part of in months.

After a few more minutes they arrived at the administration office. He stopped with his bag and guitars and turned to face her again. “Besides, I really don’t want to read that book so anything I can do to put it off I am happy.” "Well then ah have a great idea, after ah get done in here you can be mah official tour guide of this place. Show meh everything after we stop off at mah room."
PM
^
Jude Tanner
 Posted: Jul 15 2018, 03:29 PM
Prophet
16 AGE
30 POSTS
X-Resident
CLASS 2

Jude gave him a little bit of a crooked half smile. She really liked smiling around him but she didn’t think that she wouldn’t be able to keep up a big smile the whole time they were together. It would make her face hurt too much, but she could give him little ones. She hoped he liked them as much because she really didn’t think she could keep up full grins all the time. “Yeah. I actually put it off for so long because I really didn’t want to.” She frowned a little bit thinking about it. “I wish I could just keep studying history, but I don’t think that would be enough for when school starts.” If only she could just study the things she wanted to and could just avoid things she wasn’t very interested in, like math or science.

Her smile fell a little when she heard about his own issues with his schooling. It seemed like she was really going to just keep bring up the wrong things. She didn’t know him, so she was just kind of unlucky that she kept stumbling onto topics that were sore subjects. “I am sorry to hear that. It must have been hard.” It sucked to hear but she kind of liked knowing she wasn’t the only one in that situation.

This might not have been the way that Jude had planned on spending her day, but it might have better. Sure her studying was important, but she had time to do that, besides, school was only one of the reasons she was really excited to get a chance to live. She was also being allowed to socialize, so she didn’t feel too bad about replacing Biology with making a new friend. It would also give her something new to talk about with her brothers so they would stop nagging about her spending too much time her nose in a book.

There were two things Jude really hated about herself, and they were connected. The first was that she embarrassed way too easily and it was impossible to hide it because of the second thing she hated. She was so pale that even the faintest blush made her cheeks glow red. That was exactly what happened when Jay called her a friend. “Are you always this quick to make friends?” She smiled again as she ran her fingers through her hair. “And if my smiles mean that much to you I”ll do my best to make sure that you get to see them a lot.” Than once she said that her face glowed red again. She had never been this forward before but she had also never had anyone so many nice things about her smile before. She as a little happy that he didn’t ask her to tell him more about people’s moods and attitudes since she really didn’t know what else she could say.

Jude perked up at his acceptance of her offer to let her use him as an excuse to avoid the work she should do. “That sounds good. The only thing is I don’t know where a lot of things are, so it might turn into more like we’re exploring than an actual tour.” She glanced up at him through her eyelashes with a little bit of smile. “If that’s ok with you?”

PM
^
Joshua Guthrie
 Posted: Yesterday at 04:29 pm
Icarus
17 AGE
6 POSTS
X-Resident
CLASS 2

Jay listening to Jude as she talked during their walk and then she said something that brought a smile to his face. “I wish I could just keep studying history, but I don’t think that would be enough for when school starts.” He was about to flaunt his wings but when he started to move em he forgot that they were practically tied down unable to move under his shirt, it made him furrow his brow momentarily. "Remind meh to tell ya why ah'm called Icarus when we find mah room." She got upset that she brought up a sensitive subject for him but talking about his Pa didn't hurt him anymore, not like it used to. "Don't be, ah don't really have much trouble anymore when talking about mah pa."

The walk through the mansion seemed to be a long one, administration must have been on the furthest end of the school it felt like. Which would have sucked if he was by himself but he wasn't. Jude was really nice and that was something he needed in his life right now was some nice. So yeah he would grab onto anything that made life better right now. It certainly beat the alternative which was pretty grim to put it simply. Even though his face stayed the same his eyes gave away that he was lost in a thought. He didn't mean to do it but it was just this plague on his mind that kept coming back around at the worst moments, actually any moment those thoughts came around were the worst.

He was snapped from his thought when she asked him if he always was this quick to make friends and that she'd smile as much as possible if he liked them that much. He gave her a smile of his own and a nod. "Ah sure do, back home ah was probably the friendliest and most popular guy in school. Ah'd be careful smilin' as much you say you'll do it. A guy could easily fall for a smile like that." he said in the nicest way but hoped he didn't come off flirty.

They were now standing outside of administration and now that it was settled that she would wait for him and then show him around more, or better yet learn where things are with him he gave her another big smile. "That's mighty kind of you Jude, mah first day keeps getting better and better." he said with another big smile as he set his bag down and stood both his guitar cases leaning against the wall. "These are mah prized possessions and ah'm trusting em to ya with mah life." he said before giving her a wink and a smile and heading into administration and closed the door behind him.

About twenty minutes later he opened the door and had a folder in his hand, it contained his class schedule, list of staff contact information, and information related to amenities there at the Institute along with the rules. "It looks like ah'm in room 207, mind leading the way?" he asked while grabbing his guitars and suitcase and following her back towards the stairs and then up to the second floor.
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

OPTIONS REPLY NEW TOPIC START POLL

Affiliates
Candyland Couture Shadowplay
UNCANNY EVOLUTION Heroes Reborn WHAT WE CHOOSE
GLITTER & GOLD Infinite Dreams