Jake Tanner
 Posted: Sep 5 2017, 06:39 AM
Velocity
34 AGE
178 POSTS
X-Men
CLASS 3

September, 2017
Jake still wasn't completely sure how he got roped into this outing. Granted Calli giving him that wide eyed look, near pout, when he said he wasn't sure probably played a part. Either way, he was here now, helping Calli wrangle a group of teens in the mall.

He thought of a million different ways he would have rather spend the Saturday. Not at the mall, and not with teens, were high on the list. It wasn't that he didn't like the students, of course he did, and it wasn't like that this trip for clothes and school supplies wasn't needed, it was, it was that the mall was never a 'hang out' for him. He always thought of different and better places to be.

Right now Calli had taken a group of the girls to try on some clothes. The boys, trying to act adult and tough, were in the store in front of him. Making it clear that they wanted to do it all themselves. So Jake was just keeping an eye and an ear out. Just in case someone decided that they had sticky fingers.

He was playing on his phone and barely noticed the man who sat down on the bench next to him. Probably not the best idea considering that Jake's gloves were still in his pocket, and his hands were just starting to glow. He knew how people reacted to mutants and he was starting to show signs of it.

With a sigh, he shifted to pull out the gloves. Clear this person next to him didn't seem to care too much since he hadn't made a move towards Jake. Slipping them on, he glanced up at the man. The man was wearing a trench and a fedora. He blinked for a second. The face looking both familiar and wrong at the same time. He shook his head, not believing it, but instinctively backed up, only glancing for a moment towards the store with the children in it.

This post has been edited by Jake Tanner: Sep 5 2017, 06:40 AM
PM
^
Magnus
 Posted: Sep 6 2017, 10:59 AM
Magneto
89 AGE
79 POSTS
Brotherhood
CLASS 4

The man beside Jake smiled politely. “You don’t have to do that on my account,” he said nodding at Jake’s gloves. “I rather prefer the company of the Children of the Atom.” Magnus watched as Jake moved back a little as he looked at Magnus. Does he know, Magnus wondered or is it just a natural sense of precaution?

Now I would hazard a guess, that you and the nice young lady you came with are too young to have so many teenage children yourselves. So it would seem this is a back to school outing,” he said with a grin slowly growing upon his face. “In fact I would say that you must be from Xavier’s based on your hands. Is the pretty dark haired lady possessed of such extraordinary gifts as well?” he questioned as his grin continued to grow. “It would only make sense that these fine young children have unique gifts as well,” his grin looking more like that of a shark. “It is a shame that they must hide themselves behind the veneer of the drab Homo sapiens rather than be free to express themselves openly, isn’t it?” he asked in a disappointed tone.

You know it is only a matter of time…” he said softly as his grin disappeared. “The lion cubs can only hide in the grass among the herd for so long before the herd will stampede and trample them down,” he stated sadly. “While it is said that ‘the lamb shall lie down with the lion’, that only works until someone gets hungry,” he said shaking his head lightly side to side. “I wonder who you would have these children be, the lambs that are led to the slaughter upon the altar of human bigotry, or the Lions they were born to be, the top of the evolutionary chain?” he asked Jake curiously as he motioned towards the store where the young boys were milling around. “They are meant for so much more than just hiding in the grass.”

@Alia

PM EMAIL G-TALKAOL
^
Jake Tanner
 Posted: Sep 7 2017, 04:09 AM
Velocity
34 AGE
178 POSTS
X-Men
CLASS 3

Jake was uneasy and it was hard to place the exact reason why. Something in the way the man held himself, something in the way he talked...it was nagging at Jake in the back of his mind. He shook his head about the gloves. "It isn't for you." He shoved his hands in them. Almost definitely.

How long had this man been watching him he wondered? Enough to see Calli and him together. But it was the fact he mentioned the school outing and from Xavier's that really set him off. He wished he was a telepath to tell Calli to keep the girls in the store...and the boys to stay where they were.

The more the man talked, the more the pit in his stomach grew. There was only one person he ever remembered calling them the Children of the Atom. He shook his head. "That isn't what the quote is referring to." He muttered. "Stop twisting bible quotes to fit your way of seeing things." The lion and the lamb, which was already a perversion of the passage, was how much peace there would be on Earth when Jesus came. Jake didn't believe in that anymore, but it didn't mean he had forgotten the early lessons.

Jake was pretty sure he knew who he was talking to now. There were questions he had. The man was much much too young. He looked just slightly older than Jake. That was impossible. He and the Professor were contemporaries. He glanced around quickly, making a mental note of which kids were where and anyone else around. He was concerned that the man next to him might try something. After all, way more humans were around then mutants. "What do you want?" He turned and looked Magneto in the eye. His own narrowing even as he was snapping his fingers behind his back. Trying to build up energy just in case. "I don't know what you did to yourself, but I know who you are Magneto. So just what are you doing here?"

PM
^
Magnus
 Posted: Sep 7 2017, 11:31 AM
Magneto
89 AGE
79 POSTS
Brotherhood
CLASS 4

Magnus shook his head negatively. “A man shouldn’t have to hide his true nature, but understandable I guess given the amount of Homo sapiens infesting this place,” he said with a bit of derision on the term Homo sapiens. It was something that Magnus hoped to someday correct, making it safe for the Children of the Atom to live freely and openly without fear of repercussions from the Homo sapiens.

Magnus smiled at Jake when he commented about twisting bible verses. “A scholarly man no less, but would seem perhaps not a man of faith? Or perhaps of lost faith,” he commented based on Jake's tone. “I am more of an ‘Old Testament’ man myself, The Wrath of God, Fire and Brimstone, and smite thine enemies,” he admitted. “I never could stomach the Christians’ ‘Turn The Other Cheek’ preaching. The meek will not inherit the earth, the only thing they will get is run over and trampled down by the strong.” His grinned broadened a bit more. “And yes, before you say it, I know, ‘He who lives by the sword will die by the sword’. Better to die fighting then on your knees, I believe,” he added. “While I find such discourse captivating, I am sure you do not want to spend your afternoon debating biblical philosophy with an old man,” his grin growing to its shark like expression again.

Magnus noted the furtive looks that Jake was making, checking on the children he was sure and possibly looking to see if his companion was on her way back. Magnus grinned disappeared. “Don’t worry yourself about the children, I intend them no harm. Rather I would see them live in a world where their future is bright and full of freedom,” he explained. Magnus shook his head a bit sadly when Jake demanded, “What do you want?” “Can’t two gentlemen sit together conversating and just enjoy the afternoon?” Magnus returned. “Why must I want something other than to talk with another who is like me?” he offered.

My, my, my, aren’t we getting hostile, while I have been nothing but polite. I would say bravo to you for knowing who I am, it does you credit, but I am sure Charles has had plenty to say about me these past years, despite aiding his X-Men to save him at Alkali Lake,” Magnus says with mock offense. He had no real rancor for those that chose to follow Charles, so long as they didn’t get in his way. Most were no more than misguided children and Magnus seeks to save all the Children of the Atom.

@Alia

PM EMAIL G-TALKAOL
^
Jake Tanner
 Posted: Sep 11 2017, 09:02 AM
Velocity
34 AGE
178 POSTS
X-Men
CLASS 3

Jake looked coldly at the man next to him. "Did it occur to you that maybe I'm not hiding them for anyone's sake but my own?" He asked. It wasn't true. He didn't care one way or another really. It was just a precaution and while the man might be right that they shouldn't have to hide, why invite trouble?

Jake had lost his faith almost twenty years ago. It was a hard thing to keep when you were being beaten for having the devil inside. He had known even then that nothing was wrong with him. He had no explanation for what had happened but he had pleaded over and over again to his father that he had been good and virtuous. It hadn't mattered. The only time he thought maybe there was something good was Xavier showing up at the right time.

He gave a flat look to Magnus as the man continued to quote the bible. Twisting a few other verses. "Did you want something or are we just going to discuss bible passages all day? Because if we all, well, I have better things to do with my time." He crossed his arms across his chest. Waiting. He rolled his eyes as the man went on about passages he misunderstood. "First that isn't what most of those meant. Second for a man claiming to only follow and enjoy the old testament you sure are quoting a lot of Jesus there." Oh he was aware of Erik's background, many were. He didn't know what magic the man used to become young again, though clearly, he was finding some humor in it.

"It's sort of my job. Who is to say the reason I'm even checking on them has anything to do with you?" He raised an eyebrow. "Do you know the kinds of trouble a bunch of teenagers can get into in a mall when they think no adult is looking?" It was the truth, it was why they needed chaperones in the first place, but it was a lie in that why Jake was checking on them now.

"Of course two people can engage in discourse. But if all you have to offer is half assed bible passages then I can do without. And I'm aware of what occurred there." Jake might have been away during Alkali lake, but considering one of his best friends had died there, he was well aware of the mission. Well aware of the sequence of events that had happened.

Where as Magnus might not have rancor towards those he didn't follow him, Jake understood the problems that Magneto had always created. He wanted a safe world for mutants, they agreed on that. But attacking HUMANS created half the situation they were in right now. Mutants didn't create the cure because they didn't need to. It was created in response to a threat. A threat that the man next to him represented.

Unfortunately, the cat was out of the bag, so to speak. The cure wasn't going anywhere. The FOH, which might have spawned regardless, were more secure in their place then the might have been without Magneto. Magneto might want to quote the bible, but Jake was thinking more along the scientific lines. All actions create reactions. Some simplified to all actions had consequences, but, just like the bible quotes, those were over simplifications.

PM
^
Magnus
 Posted: Sep 13 2017, 06:01 AM
Magneto
89 AGE
79 POSTS
Brotherhood
CLASS 4

Magnus smiled. “Sure, whatever makes you comfortable,” he said amicably. “I meant no disrespect,” he offered. It didn’t matter to Magnus either way really. While he didn’t think that Homo Superior should have to hide, he was a realist in that he understood that at times it was better to be less obvious. Subtly was becoming a lost art in the newer generations, and it was something that was immensely useful.

Magnus noted the way that Jake crossed his arms, his body language clearly showing he was shutting down and not open to anything Magnus might suggest. But that was okay, not everyone was ready to listen and hear his side of things. Everyone has their own beliefs. Charles didn’t agree with Magnus on a lot things either, though that didn’t really deteriorate their relationship either. They would always be friends.

"It's sort of my job.”

Magnus’ grinned widened just a bit. “So you are one of the teachers and not just a helper then,” he reasoned. “Would that mean that your companion is an instructor as well?” he asked curiously. “Charles has always encouraged his students to continue on with guiding each successive generation coming behind them. You were not there during my time so I wonder, are you an early student or a fresh recruit?” he questioned, seeking to satisfy his own curiosity. “Always is it a great burden and responsibility to guide the next generation. I would imagine it is a full time job these days with the current climate in the city’s attitudes,” he suggested.

Magnus looked at the Homo sapiens milling around like a group of ants. Each scurrying along on their self-important errands, oblivious to the larger world around them. It was a dangerous world, and yes Jake would be right that Magnus was a part of the danger, at least to the Homo sapiens. One did have to break a few eggs to bake a cake. Change did not come easily and most often was the reaction to stimulus, which in its own way was often violent.

Magnus looked back at the man next to him. “I do wonder, what Charles and his ‘X-men’ are doing about the murder of one of our own?” he asked, as if it was just another common subject. “You realize that if they are able to get away with the murder of someone with notoriety in such a public way, that it will embolden them to began going after those that are not in the public eye,” he suggested to Jake.

@Alia

PM EMAIL G-TALKAOL
^
Jake Tanner
 Posted: Sep 14 2017, 08:53 PM
Velocity
34 AGE
178 POSTS
X-Men
CLASS 3

There was something in the man's words as he said it was whatever made Jake comfortable that actually didn't seem to reassure him much. Jake didn't have a power that couldn't be seen. He could only do so much hiding. There were some things he outright refused to do in the name of making others comfortable. He didn't mind sunglasses outside but never wore them in doors, for example.

Erik and Charles could always be 'friends' but Jake wasn't Charles. There were things Magneto had done 'in the name of mutant kind' that he just couldn't forgive. That he couldn't forget. Things that had made everything else that much worse. So he was closed off, having a hard time believing that the man had anything useful to say.

He wondered how the man would react to know that Calli was more than just a teacher. They really both were, but Calli was the head of the X-Men along with Piotr. "Yes she is." He acknowledged. Because it was pretty common knowledge and the school really was a school. "If you have to know, early student." Jake responded, sighing just a bit. "Why does it matter? And yes, he does encourage us to guide the people after us and work to make the world a better place for all." He knew Erik knew the professor's beliefs but it never hurt to say it again. "And it isn't a burden. It is a responsibility yes, but not a burden. I'm glad I can do it."

Change might not come easy, and Jake wasn't naive enough to think that change would come without any violence, but that didn't mean they had to instigate it either. His eyes narrowed as the man started to talk about the X-Men and what 'they' were doing. "I'm sure they are working with the various agencies to try and find out what happened."]He was sure because as far as he knew they were. There were lots of people directly or indirectly affiliated with the school. They weren't always X-Men but that didn't mean they didn't help out.

"They want us to live in fear and create deeper cracks. We can't let them have that win." After all if they all got up in arms about someone getting away with murder, it would still cause more problems. "We have to let the law work through it. Otherwise, we aren't better than the person who did this."

PM
^
Magnus
 Posted: Sep 22 2017, 04:53 AM
Magneto
89 AGE
79 POSTS
Brotherhood
CLASS 4

Magnus knew just what kind of individuals tended to make up the instructors of the school and that the so-called ‘X-Men’ were primarily made up of those commonly thought of as the teachers. Though the group might not be widely known to the public, those within their community tended to know about them, at least as a group if not individually. Of course getting to know the individuals was part of what drove Magnus’ curiosity about the current roster. What were their gifts and how strong were their beliefs in the philosophy of Charles’ methods.

Magnus’ smiled at Jake. “It doesn’t matter, not really. Just curious, really,” he explained. “I find it interesting to get the chance to meet and get to know those who follow Charles’ path,” he offered. “Despite the benevolent façade, it really is all about teaching the succeeding generations to fight and survive. It is not really that different than the aims of the Brotherhood,” he suggested.

Magnus looked Jake in the eyes. “You don’t actually sound so sure about that. Are you being deliberately vague, or perhaps you don’t know for sure yourself what is being done to bring the perpetrator of this heinous crime to justice?” he suggestively asked. “Could that be due to the fact that you guys are not doing anything to insure that Ms. Cheney receives the justice she deserves?” he added tauntingly.

I couldn’t agree with you more. They want us to hide and cower in fear, afraid to take action. To keep us from defending ourselves as they pick us off one by one,” Magnus told Jake empathically. “They want to deepen the chasm between society and us so that as the outcast others we can be dismissed and eliminated,” he added with just a tinge of anger coming to his voice. “It is an old story and technique. I have seen before just how easily it can be done. If we are not considered people, then they feel no guilt as they march us into extermination camps as the final solution,” he said, the pain in his eyes obvious as he remembers his childhood.

Magnus shook his head negatively. “Human law you mean,” he said dismissively. “You don’t really think the Homo sapiens have any REAL interest in seeing justice done for her do you?” he asked. “The Homo sapiens will not pursue this with zeal and in the end will not treat this as the hated filled atrocity it is,” he claimed.

@Alia

PM EMAIL G-TALKAOL
^
Jake Tanner
 Posted: Sep 23 2017, 09:07 PM
Velocity
34 AGE
178 POSTS
X-Men
CLASS 3

Jake wasn't sure what Magnus might be after, what his goal even in this conversation was. He wasn't about to start talking about him being an X-man or that Calli was one too. Either Magnus knew or was smart enough to figure it out, or he didn't.

He shrugged. "I think that teaching the next generation to survive is important, but that is only a tiny part. They need to thrive. They need to have the tools to live and make a difference in the world." That was why he taught. It was why he structured his ethics class the way he did. To get the kids to really think.

It would have been easy to follow Magneto when Jake was younger. All that anger and pain. The wrong words, someone stroking that fire, and it would have all been different. Thankfully the professor found him, took him in, and gave him the tools and the right words. He was repaying it in so many ways.

As for the murder, Jake didn't yet know what was being done. He suspected Damocles was working on it. But the rest...he didn't know. "Us guys?" He asked with a raised eyebrow. "I'm sure the correct authorities have it well in hand. Damocles, I am sure is working hard to figure out what happened. Anything else risks getting in the way of finding the actual perpetrator or perpetrators." Vigilant style justice was not what the world needed right now, and it wasn't what the X-Men stood for.

"That isn't what I said. No one is picking us off one by one." He stated calmly in opposite to Magnus' passion. "We can't let them deepen those things. We need to be integrated. I do agree that we need to be considered people, but getting out there and bringing our powers to bear doesn't help the cause. It makes them scared and scared people lash out." He knew that very well. It was what drove his father.

It took Jake's own self-control not to roll his eyes or do something antagonist. Still aware that he was sitting here calmly talking to one of the most powerful mutants on Earth. Not wanting to anger the man sitting next to him. He could survive a lot but if Magneto really wanted to hurt him, Jake wasn't sure he would survive. "Yes I mean Human law. You talk about wanting to be seen as something other than the other, other than the outcast. Well, that means we have to be subject to the same laws. You start making one set of laws for them and one set for us and then we are the other. We have to believe that they will pursue it and so will Damocles." The anger was seeping through a bit. Because Jake did believe that they needed to be treated as equals. Anything other than that and there would always be problems.

"And how would you handle it Magnus? How would you find out who did this? Or would you start destroying Friends of Humanity who might not have even been involved?"

PM
^
Magnus
 Posted: Sep 28 2017, 05:33 AM
Magneto
89 AGE
79 POSTS
Brotherhood
CLASS 4

Magnus nodded in agreement to Jake. “I couldn’t agree more. Each generation needs to learn the skills necessary to not only survive but thrive and succeed in the world,” he said agreeably. “As a species if we are to flourish we must do more then survive, we must rise to the challenge to thrive in an increasingly hostile environment. But as the older generation, it is not just our responsibility to teach but to create and foster an environment that it is possible for Homo Superior to succeed in,” he added. “It is up to us to shape and change the world we live in for future generations.”

Magnus could only raise an eyebrow at the term ‘correct authorities’. Damocles, traitors to their race were the tools of the Homo sapiens, using their abilities to coral and suppress their own kind. “I find it hard to place my confidence or hopes on the tools of oppression to adequately seek justice for one of our own,” he replied disparagingly. “They are the puppets of the Homo sapiens and would cover up the truth at the behest of their masters,” he added in a tone of disapproval. “At best Damocles are a token group used for propaganda in covering for the misdeeds of their masters, at worst they are actively aiding in the extermination of their own kind.”

Magneto turned his body on the bench to better look at Jake. “Rather than bring our superior abilities to bear you would have us hide and pretend to be ‘human’ in order to blend in and keep the peace, is that it?” he asked incredulously. “Better to do nothing as the Homo sapiens step by step work to dehumanize us and deny us the very rights they espouse? Is that what you are saying?” he asked. “As they pass laws and build new weapons and technology to extermination us, we should just stand by helpless and passively do nothing to defend ourselves from the ever growing hatred towards us?” he continued passionately. “You are right about their fear. They do fear us; the same way the Neanderthal feared the Homo sapiens. But it is not the display of our abilities that frighten them. It is the very state of our existence that drives their fear and no amount of placating and submissiveness will quell that fear,” he stated in true believer fashion.

"Yes I mean Human law. You talk about wanting to be seen as something other than the other, other than the outcast. Well, that means we have to be subject to the same laws. You start making one set of laws for them and one set for us and then we are the other. We have to believe that they will pursue it and so will Damocles."

Hmrph. They are already making sets of laws that only pertain to the Children of the Atom. They have already labeled us as the ‘others’ undeserving of their so-called justice,” Magnus claimed. “When the laws of tyrants are the order of the day, the tree of liberty must once more be fed with the blood of patriots to gain freedom from oppression,” Magnus told Jake.

Magnus watched Jake, noting his attitudes and tone. “It is not simply a matter of how things are handled, but by whom and their intentions,” he offered. “There is no transparency in the actions of the authorities and they are politically motivated to spin this incident to fit their own narrative,” he continued. “The ‘Friends of Humanity’ are cowards for sure and an assassination of a public figure fits easily within their agenda, but I would not be quick to point fingers and blame the obvious. It is too easy to scapegoat such public villains as the ‘Friends’. It is a lazy mind that seeks the path of least resistance,” he suggested.

Magnus shook his head negatively. “But do not misunderstand me, the ‘Friends of Humanity’ are a cancer that needs to be excised from society. But they are a symptom not the cause,” he explained. “The time will come when ‘Dogs of War’ will be let loose and the ‘Friends’ will be nothing more than the shock troops in the front of the opposition to be sacrificed for their cause. Then the true forces of extermination will be revealed and it may be too late by then,” he reasoned, his tone taking on an almost sad note. “I fear by the time those behind the rise of the ‘Friends’ are exposed they will be too well entrenched to remove simply,” he added.

@Alia

PM EMAIL G-TALKAOL
^
Jake Tanner
 Posted: Oct 4 2017, 10:22 AM
Velocity
34 AGE
178 POSTS
X-Men
CLASS 3

Jake was on edge, not knowing or feeling comfortable with the way Magneto said that they were in agreement. Waiting for that other shoe, the point at which his words were twisted around to fit the man's argument. For the moment, as uncomfortable as it was, they were in agreement. He found himself nodding at the start. Teach and create and foster an environment where they could succeed. He wasn't thrilled about the separation there, of homo superior, a term he already disliked, verses humanity as a whole.

But shifting onto Damocles caused him to shake his head and give a little chuckle. "There are people in...let's say my circle, who dislike them as well. But for the opposite reasons. That we should have to follow all the same laws as humans and that humans should police us just like we are human." He understood the need for the so-called mutant cops but never was really sure he liked having them. "Then what would you have done? Just start killing humans until we find who did it? Maybe your own special police force that only answers to you? Do we round up 'homo sapiens' and put them into camps for their own protection?" It was his tone now that shifted to disapproval. There wasn't a good answer that made all sides happy. The best they could do was try to show everyone that mutants and humans could exist side by side.

Then the twist came. "No. Not hide. Not really. You don't buy a Ferrari and keep it in a garage but that doesn't mean you go challenging every person you see to a drag race either." Trying to find some decent example of what he meant. "We don't have to run around saying 'look at us we are mutants, if you don't like us I'll set you on fire.' We can just be there. Proving that we are here and we protest laws, peacefully. Take a page from the civil rights movement."

He met Magneto's eyes with his blue ones. Not glowing just yet. "You know there is no evidence that the Neanderthal feared the Homo sapien and a lot of evidence that they intermarriage and intermingled. Homo sapien didn't just spring from nowhere, imprison the Neanderthal and let them die. They lived together for 5,000 years." It was an argument he hated. He had learned all sorts of lies and distortions growing up. About how old the Earth was, about cavemen and dinosaurs. But he knew the truth now and damned if he wasn't going to use it. Evolution didn't just happen in a leap, one could argue that xgene mutations were still in flux. Why some people could fly and others could read minds. Eventually, things would stabilize and slowly homo sapiens would die out. But it wouldn't happen tomorrow and they would all be dead before it did. "Do you think the Neanderthal imprisoned the Homo Sapien when they first encountered each other?"

Jake knew Magnus wasn't wrong about the laws, taking another moment before following up on that. "Once there were different laws for Chinese and Americans. Once there were different laws for blacks and whites. They keep trying to make different laws for Muslims and not-Muslims. There will always be an other. For the moment, that is us. But all of those groups? They got those laws changed and violence only set them back. Because it proved that the other thought themselves better than the law." He didn't like it, but damn it, running around and killing people to prove something wasn't going to help things either.

"They aren't our friends. Make no mistake, they are a terrorist group. If it were up to me." He gave Magnus a grin, though there was no warmth in it. "I would happily help you get rid of them. But it isn't up to me. Or to any of us. Damocles is separate from the politics for that exact reasons." He shook his head, wondering for a moment why he was bothering. People who assumed that they were always in the right were never people you could argue with. Narcissists. He had heard that Magnus was suspicious and paranoid. Seeing demons where none existed, he just didn't realize how delusional the man really was.

PM
^
Magnus
 Posted: Oct 14 2017, 07:17 PM
Magneto
89 AGE
79 POSTS
Brotherhood
CLASS 4

Magnus shook his head. “We have tried to live by their laws, and they unfairly wield them to restrict and oppress the Children of the Atom. I cannot agree that we should be policed by the humans, that will lead to the same issues that arose during the 60s where the so-called law served to oppress those that were different, rather than protect them,” he stated firmly. “Though if the Children of the Atom were allowed to openly serve as members of the human law enforcement in equal status with the humans then that might be a step in the right direction,” he suggested. “Partnered teams of humans and Children of the Atom together might make people feel more secure on both sides.”

Magnus shook his head. “While the death of a Homo Superior public figure could very well spark a war between the humans and the Children of the Atom, I would not instigate such drastic measures as the eradication of a species because some individual sought to take out an entertainment celebrity,” Magnus replied. “But I would see justice done and not have the fate of the perpetrator decided by the very people who support his or her actions and would do the same if given half an opportunity. If people would see true justice done then the very people who suffered from the crime should be a part of the dissolution of the criminal,” he stated in firm belief.

“Would it be so bad to have a branch of law enforcement for the Children of the Atom that was RUN by Children of the Atom and not overseen by the very humans whose own agendas run counter to providing justice and protection to our people?” Magnus asked. “I would not even feel the need to have any hand in such an institution. The need for people like me is because there is no source of protection and justice for the Children of the Atom,” he explained. “Would you trust your mentor, or a man like him to be in charge of such an organization whose purpose was to protect the Children of the Atom and had the goal of justice for our people?”

Magnus looked at Jake as he made his comment about camps. Giving the young man a slanted look. Magnus knew about camps, about how that comes about and where it leads. “I know it is not a good solution, but is it really all that different than what the humans want to do to the Children of the Atom?” Magnus asked in reply to Jake’s suggestion of putting the Homo sapiens in camps. “Mark my words, for I have seen this before. History will repeat itself. The time is coming where there will be ghettos created for the Children of the Atom and most will be forced and coerced into living in those ghettos. They will be told it is for their own safety and comfort, but it is still a manner of rounding them up in preparation for furthering the human agenda. From there it is a short step to the camps and extermination,” he warned with a dire tone to his voice.

Magnus agreed with Jake, though he felt the metaphor was slightly stretched. “Yes, but when you hide who you are and what you can do, then are you not doing just that? In denying or suppressing your own nature, you deny your own right to exist and be yourself,” Magnus suggested. “I would see all the Children of the Atom free to life their lives in a manner true to their nature,” he stated empathically.

Magnus raised an eyebrow at the reference to the civil rights movement. “And how many died for their beliefs in that time?” he queried Jake. “You must remember that during that era there was a man called Malcolm X who advocated for violence in defense of his people. He was just as influential and had a large impact on those times the same as other more peaceful examples of the leaders at the time had,” he suggested. “It was Malcolm X that said ‘Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery’ sentiments that I can agree with,” Magnus replied. “It could even be argued that the very existence and threat of Malcolm X helped to bring about change if for no other reason than to avoid the violent race war that he sought,” Magnus offered. “Had there not been a Malcolm X, there would have been no motivation for the authorities to turn to the alternative of the peaceful leaders like Dr. King to avoid the growing threat of a civil race war.”

Magnus shook his head again. “No the Neanderthal didn’t imprison Homo sapiens, when they encountered each other, they tried to kill them in order to protect their resources and life styles. While there was some interbreeding, it contributed to the extinction of the Neanderthal because the superior genetics of the Homo sapiens bred true and supplanted the genetics of the Neanderthal. The same way the Homo Superior is interbreeding with Homo sapiens and more and more the X-gene is coming out on top and leading to more Children of the Atom,” he gave his view of the matter. “But Homo sapiens are smarter than the Neanderthal and are trying to change nature and prevent Homo Superior from surviving and evolving naturally. They seek to change the genetics of people and prevent the spread of the species. Thus the creation of a so-called ‘Cure’ for what is clearly not a disease,” he suggested.

The Jews of Germany and Poland sought the peaceful route and the genocide of the Holocaust nearly wiped them out. So there are examples of both methods failing and both methods succeeding,” Magnus pointed out. “With those other examples though, there was not a ‘Cure’ being weaponized to destroy them and turn their very nature and genetic make up into conforming thru devolution,” Magnus continued. “Our species is being eliminated thru the use of the ‘Cure’ on children without the consent of the children. Our species is being killed off by destroying our offspring before they can grow up and take their rightful place in the world,” he said a bit heatedly. Who was going to stand up to defend and protect the children whose parents were the very ones abusing and destroying their biological natures. The law didn’t protect mutant children; it protected the human parents who sought to force the children into changing their very species.

Magnus couldn’t agree with Jake on this matter. “We both can agree about the dastardly nature of the Friends of Humanity and the threat they pose. But Damocles is not separate from the politics. In fact they are mired smack dab in the middle of the politics because their leaders are human politicians put in place by other human politicians, not by the people they supposedly represent,” Magnus began. Then with a slightly sly look Magnus caught Jakes gaze directly. “We shall see just how impartial the Damocles really are if their leaders decided to hide the culprit behind the murder and cover it up in order to further their own agenda. And make no mistake their agenda is not justice for the oppressed but rather the maintaining of the status quo and protecting their own interests and positions,” Magnus replied. “Just how transparent they are with the details and information about who is behind this murder will be very telling for the future of both the Damocles organization and the truth behind their agenda towards the Children of the Atom,” he added.

@Alia

PM EMAIL G-TALKAOL
^
Jake Tanner
 Posted: Oct 15 2017, 05:12 AM
Velocity
34 AGE
178 POSTS
X-Men
CLASS 3

As Magnus talked, Jake titled his head. His eyes narrowing just a bit. "First I agree, we should have partnered teams. Humans and mutants. I have no idea how to get it or why Damocles wasn't set up that way. But it is something that should be talked about in public spaces." Not in a shopping mall but where they could be heard. On the other hand, he was worried about what Magnus' idea of talking might be.

"Yeah and what is your idea of 'true justice'? An eye for an eye. They killed one of 'our' popstars and so we kill one of theirs? Is that how your justice would go?" Despite his words, Jake was keeping his tone even. Not wanting to piss the man off or give him reason to turn on himself and the kids.

"Of course I would trust him to oversee something like that. My question for you is why do you keep calling us the children of the atom?" He held up a hand for a moment. "I know why some call mutants that, because of the thinking that mutations didn't appear prior to the Manhatten project. But why not use the word mutant?" Besides Children Of the Atom sounded so...dramatic.

Mostly Jake let Magnus talk. He thought the man was turning paranoid. He saw the same signs of Magnus but Jake also didn't think it was quite as bad as Magnus made it sound. Nothing had been done yet. Nothing had managed to pass through Congress. They were working and fighting in the way things needed to be fought, with language rather than fists; with words rather than bombs.

He shook his head about the Malcolm X comparison. "Maybe but Malcolm X didn't preach non-violence. Many people in his name offered to be violent. Maybe without him the civil rights movement would have been shaped differently but it still would have happened and it still wouldn't have been mostly non-violent." Just because it was likely cooler heads would have prevailed.

"Yes and so sooner or later, the human's will disappear. They can try to change nature but that has never worked in the past. You can't change an unstoppable force." He bit his lip when they were talking about the cure. It wasn't something Jake liked to think about. He thought the idea of such a thing laughable. But then he liked his powers and they weren't ruining his life. Maybe if they had been, he would have seen things from a different perspective.

The fact was that no matter how much they kept talking they were at impasses. Jake would never convince Magnus that his ways were wrong, and Magnus would never convince Jake. Jake believed fully that they could coexist with humans. That eventually, in decades or a millennia, humans would die out. But they all had to share the limited resources here until then.

Fighting among each other would never help that and could make things so much worse in the long term.

PM
^
Magnus
 Posted: Oct 27 2017, 04:03 AM
Magneto
89 AGE
79 POSTS
Brotherhood
CLASS 4

Magnus shook his head almost sadly. “That is both archaic and barbaric. True justice would see the perpetrators punished to same degree of the crime they commit,” he suggested, though not expressing whether he meant individually or as applied to groups responsible for causing the situations that led to the harm of others. Magnus knew that individually justice was easily served upon those who inflicted their hate on others. It was the systemic issues and those in high places of power, who thru proxies kept their hands clean while orchestrating harm on others that needed the forms of true justice. They were the ones that always went unpunished so they could continue their crusades of hate. “Too often ‘Eye For An Eye’ is not understood. You do not kill or harm an innocent as an example of punishment; that serves no purpose. For punishment to be effective it must be applied directly to those responsible without falling into a tit for tat method. That only leads to tribalistic blood feuds,” he further suggested, not sure if Jake would see where Magnus was going with that line of thought. “If one wants to stop a monster, you cut off its head, you don’t cut off the hand that struck you,” he explained.

Magnus smiled even as he raised an eyebrow at the change in direction of their conversation. “I prefer the term ‘Children Of The Atom’ over the more insulting and derogatory term ‘mutant’. The Homo sapiens use the term ‘mutant’ to mean something that is an aberration or deviation from the norm that must be excised,” he explained. “Mutants, as you would prefer, are not an aberration that must be ‘Cured’ or excised from the species. We are the next evolutionary development. The next stage in existence, as it were,” he explained his thoughts on the matter. “I must confess though that there are times when the term mutant would seem more appropriate in both of its iterations,” he said with a grin.

We could debate on the effects of individuals upon history all day. But I suspect that you would choose a different setting for such a lengthy debate, if you were interested in such a thing as alternate possibilities in history,” Magnus told Jake. “But I think we can spend what little time is left to us this afternoon in a more productive manner. After all, your students and fellow instructor are likely to return at any moment,” Magnus suggested with just a hint of feeling like a ticking clock that was closing on the danger moment. “I wonder how your students would react to meeting me and hearing what I have to say if they knew my real identity,” he smiled with a cross between mischievousness and maliciousness.

As the two men talked on the bench, an elderly lady was walking by on the other side by the shop entrances. When her cane slipped, she began to fall. As if not even noticing, Magnus continued to talk with Jake, but in a slightly distracted manner for a moment as he reached out with his will. Using the metal of her cane and the metal buckles upon her coat, Magnus held the elderly woman up and prevented her from hitting the floor. Pulling up the metal he righted the woman and held her up until she was steady upon her feet once more. When she slipped, her cart filled with her shopping rolled further down the walkway and Magnus exerted his will to pull it back to the elderly woman with a small sweeping motion of his left hand.

Magnus nodded in agreement to Jake’s comment about the human’s disappearing. “Better sooner than later, I would think. The sooner Homo Superior takes the reins of control the less harm that will be inflicted up those who stand to inherit the world from our troubled times,” he reasoned, though he was sure the X-man would not agree with that. “As for change, innovation and technology has reached such levels that for the first time in the planet’s history a species has the potential to not just change nature but to alter or even reverse the course that nature is taking. Do not be mistaken, the humans hunt for the means to exterminate our species and the ‘Cure’ is just the first step,” he stated with the proverbial prophetic voice of doom.

While informative in some measure, Magnus knew that he would not sway the X-Man to his way of thinking, just like Jake would not convince the leader of the Brotherhood that humans and mutants could live together peacefully. Even as Magnus contemplated this encounter, he heard a chorus of young voices, teasing each other and excitedly exclaiming their finds in the stores. A grin spread across his face again, as he noted that the group of young men from the store Jake had been watching were exiting the store and heading towards the pair of men on the bench.

@Jake Tanner

PM EMAIL G-TALKAOL
^
Jake Tanner
 Posted: Nov 1 2017, 09:35 AM
Velocity
34 AGE
178 POSTS
X-Men
CLASS 3

Ah, there was the shoe. The whole conversation Jake was waiting for the moment when Magnus turned from having a conversation about mutant rights into a true fanatic. The answer was how to handle the infractions. The way that Magnus phrased everything made him think that he wasn't talking about individual perpetrators. Which saddened him. He could understand, on some level, the desire to fight back at those that hurt people different from themselves but to punish whole groups.."I'm surprised you say that Magnus. After all isn't that what the Nazi's did? When the partisans killed a member of the army, they killed 10 people in retaliation. Is that what you'd have us go back to?" He asked. After all isn't that what he was proposing on some level? Not even the perpetrators but those that surrounded them? "Don't you think your idea will lead to blood feuds as well?" After all, if people lived in fear and hate, that just festered.

Jake shook his head again. Disagreeing on a fundamental point. "Mutation just means change." At least that was how he learned it. Granted he had only learned of that phrase and meaning after arriving at Xavier's so maybe that wasn't the best example. "We aren't going anywhere, or being cured, or excised. But again, we are going to have to co-exist with humanity for quite some time if history is any indication. We might as well make the best of it." Fighting the majority of humanity seemed a bad way to go about it. It would encourage them to make more and more weapons to work against mutants or "children of the Atom".

"Yeah. This isn't the best place is it?" Again they were back on the same page. A bench in a mall when a lot of people were around, when Jake was chaperoning...all those seemed like bad times to have long drawn out debates. But there were places it would work better. He shrugged when Magnus asked how the students might react. "Some might be curious, others scared. Who knows. They are teens, and teenagers are nothing if not unpredictable." He suspected he knew how Calli would react.

Jake watched as Magnus helped the old lady with his powers. Raising an eyebrow. The man was full of contradictions. Just a simple act reinforcing that idea.

Jake didn't agree with his idea about inheriting the world. "We will have to disagree on that point. Some hunt to exterminate, mostly in fear but not all of those do. Do you think that woman you just helped cares?" He asked. Fear was the driving motivator of so much throughout history. Magnus seemed to want to keep fanning the flames of hate and fear. Jake would never understand why.

He could hear and see the children as they came out of the store, laughing and joking. "That is what I want for everyone Magnus. Just kids relaxing and not worrying. Where it doesn't matter if they are mutant or human. Just allowing them to be kids." He whispered quietly, feeling like the old man would hear him.

PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

OPTIONSPages: (2) 1 2  REPLY NEW TOPIC START POLL

Affiliates