You can't Run from Family, Tag: Tanners Middle of Nowhere Wyoming
Jude Tanner
 Posted: May 1 2018, 11:04 AM
Prophet
16 AGE
30 POSTS
X-Resident
CLASS 2

Emmy...Jude was still having a hard time believing that all of this was happening. Her life had taken so many twists and turns that she never would have seen coming, she had no idea what was happening to her, she didn’t think she was demon but she was having a hard time figuring out what could be. She didn’t want to tell anyone that was taking care of her what had happened. Her family hadn’t reacted well, and she didn’t know what would make anyone else react any better. So instead of explaining what had happened she just told she didn’t know what had made her family think she was possessed, thankfully her parent’s religion was weird enough that people didn’t really question it.

She hadn’t really had a plan when she had run away, all she knew was she had to get away from them. She didn’t know if they were real visions that she was having but if what she saw even had a chance of happening she wasn’t going to stick around to find out. All she had on her mind was running. Thankfully, the people she had run to were more than happy to take over and all she had to do was sit tight and wait. The had found a bed for her in some kind of foster home and just let her clean up and go to bed.. The last thing she had been told was that they had made contact with some family and they would be there in the morning.

She had no idea what family was coming that shouldn’t cause her to worry, but she had been way too tired to think about and as soon as her head hit the pillow she had been passed out.

It had been a morning of first when she woke up in a room by herself and when the social working gave her something to change into she saw that it still had tags on it. It was the first time she had ever been the first one to wear an outfit and after showring again and getting dressed she saw that the skirt barely touched her knee, she felt a little bit of panic, than she remembered it wasn’t her mother or father coming for her and felt a strange sense of freedom and relief. She still didn’t know who was coming for her but she had a feeling they couldn’t be as strict as her parents, because no one could be as strict as her parents.

She was actually a little excited when she woke up, but once she was dressed and looking in the mirror her excitement started to dim a little. She had done the best she could with her hair without a curling iron and she didn’t have her make up. It was weird to care about such things but she had been taught to. Not to mention the fact that even though her clothes covered the bruises on her body, there was on her face under her eye and she would have loved to be able to cover it up.

She had been in the bathroom trying to figure out a way to cover it with her hair but she was having no luck and wasn’t even close to hiding it when there was knock on the door and a voice telling her that i was time for her to go. She let out one last slightly annoyed sigh before leaving the bathroom.

Jude was really confused when she was led to a small office that she was pretty sure was trying its best to look homey. The two men standing there weren’t immediately recognizable but after a seconds she thought the one might have looked a little like Everett, or at least the vague memories she had of the older brother who had ran off when she was little, but she tried as hard as she could she couldn’t figure out who his friend was.

She just stood for a minute watching and than when they turned to her her habits took over and she quickly dropped her eyes to the ground so a man who wasn’t family wouldn’t think she was staring at him. She felt like she should say something but it was like her brain had left her head and was refusing to come back. After what felt like forever, but was only a few seconds he managed to mutter out something. “Hello. Thank….you for coming.” She had no idea where they had come from but it had to be a long way, it wasn’t like anyone was ever just in Wyoming, or even nearby.

PM
^
Everett Tanner
 Posted: May 2 2018, 03:16 AM
Flicker
23 AGE
44 POSTS
X-Resident
CLASS

Everett's face was an olive-shade of green. Not because he was lit up, but because he was incredibly sick on the X-Jet as it traveled at high speeds toward Wyoming. Not having ever flown in a plane, rode in a roller coaster, or even been on a boat in his youth, Everett didn't know he got terrible motion sickness until he was living on his own as a young adult. It was why he usually drugged himself up on NyQuil, Benadryl, or whiskey immediately before a plane ride to pass out and sleep through the trip. If he hadn't done that, then he would surely be sick every time he flew. Unfortunately, the younger Tanner brother had little time to prepare for this trip, so all he could do was take a few motion sickness pills, which really didn't do anything for him, and pray he could keep his breakfast down. It didn't help that he was incredibly nervous and anxious about where they were going. This was the first time he had returned to Wyoming since leaving 6 years prior. Although it wasn't that long, it felt like a lifetime ago.

Holding onto a barf bag and bucket, he rested his head back as he resisted urges to vomit. "Not to be that annoying little brother in the backseat, but how much..." He paused to gag but held it down, "...longer?" While holding onto a bucket, he called out from two seats back behind the cockpit, where Jake was seated flying the X-Jet. When Jake mentioned that they had a private Jet, Everett wasn't that surprised at first, expecting a luxury, private plane, but when Jake showed him the military-grade stealth jet, Everett knew he would immediately regret it. Still, it was the fastest way there, besides teleporting of course, but unfortunately, there weren't any teleporters available. Ev was already dreading this trip, but he knew he had to go as Jake probably wouldn't get very far with the social workers. Not to mention, Emmanuella probably didn't even know who Jake was.

*~*~*~*~* Last Night *~*~*~*~*

Everett pulled off his sweaty shirt and threw it in the clothes hamper before sitting down on the bed. Almost simultaneously, Everett felt his phone vibrate with a strange phone number on his iPhone screen. "Uh hello? This is Everett." He muttered without much thought, even with the phone number having a Wyoming area code.

"Why yes! This is Nancy Schwartz - I'm a social worker with the Wyoming Department of Foster Services. Is this Everett Tanner?"

Everett eyes darted back and forth around the room as he held the phone to his ear, pausing momentarily in confusion. "Uh yes, this is he."

"Oh great," she said with a chipper voice, which was in stark contrast to Everett's confused tone. "Your sister, Emmanuella, arrived at the Town of Dubois Police Department earlier today after an incident with your parents..." As the social worker explained the situation with his sister, Everett sat on the edge of the bed frozen. Exorcism? Abuse? The social worker continued on, with Everett only muttering "uh huh" occasionally to signal he was still on the line. Deep within Everett, rage, sadness, and confusion stewed and filled him up. The deeds of his family continued with another Tanner offspring; how many more had to suffer? At the same time, Emmanuella participated in the family's "pray the gay away" abuse let by his parents. He most certainly did not forget, even if she was only 10 years old or so. "Mr. Tanner? Are you still there? I asked you a question?"

"Yes. Sorry. I'm just um..." Emotions swirled within him, and he didn't know if he could handle the question he knew was coming. "I'm just taken back. Um wow. I'm sorry, can you repeat..." He closed his eyes and felt his temple throb in rage and his heart and lungs quiver in sadness. He was beginning to freak out as panic began to settle in.

"Yes, we are looking for family members that will watch over Emmanuella. I asked if you were willing and able?" The chipper tone in the social worker's voice was more dry and mechanical.

Taking in a deep breath, with caught in his lungs as he pushed down his emotions, "Um. Yes. She's my sister. Yes. Uh what do I..." his left hand shook as he fidgeted nervously. "What do you need me to do?" He closed his eyes as he tried to breathe through the pain, resentment, anger, sadness, and happiness of seeing another family member again. It was a strange feeling that he didn't know how to express. He sat there on the phone for several minutes as the social worker explained what he needed to do, where he needed to meet, etc. Eventually, the conversation ended, and like that, Everett was now the guardian of his little sister.

Panicking, he began to freak out wondering if it was a mistake. Should he have talked to Jake about it first? Was he even allowed to bring someone into the mansion? Did he even want to be around someone who actively participated in his torture, even if she were young and impressionable? Not knowing what else to do, he grabbed a shirt, slipped it on and walked down to Jake's room, hoping he was available...

*~*~*~*~* On the X-Jet *~*~*~*~*

Here they were on a jet to pick up their little sister, one that Jake hadn't even remembered, and one that Ev had a strange animosity mixed with love for. As they landed the X-Jet, Everett sighed in relief before taking several deep breaths, willing his stomach to settle, but it didn't. Knowing about what was to come, he quickly unbuckled and ran for the door of the jet, making it just in time to puke outside the jet. Sitting there hunched over for a second, he felt a rush of exhilaration and a sense of calm. He felt better.

"I guess I should have let you know that I don't do well on planes," he muttered to Jake after standing up shakily and wiping away saliva with his sleeve. The pale green hue to his face disappeared as he inhaled the fresh Wyoming air. "Well we made it, now what?" he muttered looking around, avoiding eye contact with Jake after puking. It was embarrassing enough, so Everett was ready to move onward with their mini trip to the motherland. Earlier that day, the two brothers discussed Emmanuella, and whether Everett was really capable of guardianship. Ev didn't want to be his little sister's legal guardian. Honestly, he wanted nothing to do with her, and he made sure Jake knew why. Still, Everett felt offended in some respects that Jake didn't think he was capable of taking care of her, even if he knew that Jake was right. Ev knew he had a lot of growing up to do, but like many other young people, he didn't like to admit it. It was something that the boys would have to talk about eventually.

After cloaking the jet and walking to the police station, Everett walked ahead, feeling impatient with the situation and uneasy. It was like a bandaid; he just wanted to rip it off and get it done and over with. After checking in, they took the two brothers into a room to wait as they brought in their sister, who they claimed with going by Jude, her middle name. Honestly, Everett had forgotten her middle name, but he had so many siblings that he didn't let himself feel bad about it.

When Jude was brought in, Everett immediately noticed her timid stance, her lack of eye contact, and the bruising near her eye. At that moment, feelings of anger at Jude subsided, for now at least, and were replaced with feelings of anger toward their parents. "Emmanuella, er...Jude. It's Everett, your older brother. I know I probably look different now," he paused as he noticed that she still didn't look at them. "Um, this is Jake. You know, Ephraim?" He cringed knowing that Jake didn't like that, but it was the only name the girl would have known. Ev looked over at Jake not sure what to say. Truthfully, he didn't really have anything to say that was appropriate to say out loud anyhow.

(OOC: I'll probably will have flashbacks in my posts in this thread that sort of fill in the blanks)

This post has been edited by Everett Tanner: May 2 2018, 03:32 AM
PM
^
Jake Tanner
 Posted: May 2 2018, 04:21 AM
Velocity
34 AGE
252 POSTS
X-Men
CLASS 3

It had been on the later end of the day for Jake. Wrapping up the last of grading of an essay and making notes for the final. He was also quietly working on some wedding stuff to take some of the additional pressure off Calli. Calli who must have had hell of a workout because they showed and then she went to sleep.

Whatever he was expecting, it wasn't a near pounding on his door. Concerned that something could be going back, he glanced back towards the bedroom. With a shrug he stood up, aware that he was just in his boxers, he grabbed a pair of gym shorts and at least slid those on before opening it up. Raising an eyebrow as it was Everett. "Ev, what's wrong?" He asked frowning. No reason his brother should be in the middle of the hallway at this time. He pulled the man into his room, closing the door behind him and picking up the papers to make room on the couch.

It didn't take long for the story to come out. Bits he had heard before, about praying the gay away and such. Bits he hadn't. But the shocking part was that their little sister had escaped and was now in a town not far from where Jake had been picked up.

He glanced at the clock and did some mental math. "Okay. Go back to your room. Get some sleep. We'll leave early in the morning." He wasn't as good a pilot as some of the others, and usually functioned as a co-pilot. He knew how to fly, but was very uncomfortable doing it in the dark by himself. Besides at this point, the extra few hours wasn't going to make that much of a difference. He refused to wake her up in the middle of the night to keep uprooting her life. And he had things to do.

He wrote a hasty note to Calli. Just in case she woke up before he came back. He threw on a shirt and made his way to the subbasement. Not caring that much that he was in barefeet. He did the visual inspection on the plane, making sure that there wasn't anything that would stop them from flying. He checked the fuel level. It also was something he could concentrate on because his mind was running a mile a minute.

His memory of Emmanuella was nearly non-existent. The little toddler when things happened. Still he knew enough to know what she had been through and what the upbringing had been. Frowning a little because it was going to be so much harder for her. Ev and Jake had rules and such, but they also had a lot more freedom. Half the things they did, the girls got the blame for anyway. Either for not watching them closely enough or for leading them down temptation. It was lucky for Jake that the Professor had been in charge, or else he didn't know that he would have been as assimilated as he was. Much more likely to just not listen to any girls. It took years for that to change. At fifteen, having Calli as the leader of the X-Men would have been unconscionable. Now? He couldn't imagine it any other way. He wished that one of their sisters was already out as well, someone who could help with the transition in the way he couldn't.

He went to the professor as well, apologizing for waking him so late. Explaining the situation. There wasn't any question that Emmanuella would be coming back here. With a promise to call the lawyers in the morning to have permanent guardianship papers put in his name.

Jake than packed a small bag. It wasn't much but they kept clothes in various sizes either donated from previous students or picked up at the mall. They weren't super fashionable. But no one ever knew what conditions the kids they had to pick up would be in. A tee shirt and jeans, or in this case a long skirt, never hurt.

Only then did he go to sleep. Setting an alarm and taking the few hours. He woke even before it went off. He only slept restlessly. Between the build up energy, his mind spinning and the bits of anxiety he was feeling, it wasn't good sleep either. He wrote a note to Calli, telling her an emergency came up. A promise that he would explain as soon as he got home.

Sure enough, Ev seemed pretty shocked by the jet. "I'll explain later. We have other things to deal with." He promised. Sliding into the pilot's seat. Glancing back as he noticed Ev turning greener and greener, and not because of his powers. Once they were in the air, Ev switched on the autopilot and grabbed a bucket for his brother. Sitting across from him for a few moments. He wasn't going to like this part of the conversation but it needed to be said.

"I'm not letting you keep custody." He held up a hand, so his brother knew he wasn't finished. "You are 22 years old. You have a whole life to lead. You don't need to be saddled with a teenager who is adjusting to the world. We've both been there. It isn't easy." He pointed out. Nevermind some of the other issues, like Everett not having the job as a teacher yet, or the hitman after him, or that he had taken off for six months with barely a word. "I have a support system and a structure in place. She'll still be at the Mansion with us. But I think legally, it's better for me to be the one making the choices for her." There was also the concern that Ev might subconsciously take out his old pain and hurt over what she participated in on the teen.

When they were done with their discussion, Jake went back to actively flying. Landing in a field about half a mile from where they were suppose to be. Thankfully Wyoming didn't lack for places to land. He put on stealth mode even as Everett dashed to the door. Causing a small chuckle from Jake. Shaking his head as he made his way out.

Where it had been six years for Ev, Jake hadn't stepped foot in this state in much, much longer. Yet some of it still coming back. Feeling the air and the sun. He managed a small smile. "Well it was the best way. IT'd be almost a day and a half to drive." He shrugged. The almost four hour flight time was much better. "Now we go and fill out the paperwork and hope to hell that she comes." Hoping that this was what it seemed and not some crazy plot to get Everett back...or worse. He let off a few blasts, with a chuckle, and shifted the rest of his energy around. Waiting until his hands stopped glowing and hoped he could keep them that way for a bit. Not wanting to cause his sister to freak out. "Just..make sure you don't start to glow." He muttered as they headed to where they needed to be.

Jake, for the most part, let Everett do the talking. It was him who they contacted. It was going to be his name on the initial forms. He knew changing his name would have some consequences with regard to his siblings finding him, but it was still what he had to do. If Emmanuella, Jude from what they were saying she wanted to go by, wanted to do the same, he'd help her.

His eyes quickly glanced over her, using the same skills he had used in the field. Not wanting to seem like he was staring because he knew that was likely to make her uncomfortable. But it was enough to see the bruise on her face, the fact that she was a little skinner and her color just a little off. The skirt barely reached her knee and that told him that these weren't the clothes she showed up in either.

He tensed for a moment with the use of his old name but knew why Ev said it that way. "Hey Jude." He greeted. "As Everett said, I'm your brother...I go by Jake now but it was Ephraim." He tried to keep his voice light. It was hard, not knowing what she knew about him. If anything. "I live in New York. Everett lives with me. I think we are going to take you back there. And don't work, they won't be able to get their hands on you ever again. They wont' be able to hurt you ever again." He promised. The other reason for the lawyers, they could terminate parental rights of their parents based on the abuse. "That is if you want to go?" And if she said no? Well, hopefully she made it this far.

PM
^
Jude Tanner
 Posted: May 3 2018, 12:47 PM
Prophet
16 AGE
30 POSTS
X-Resident
CLASS 2

She hadn’t known what she had been expecting when they told her family was coming her. She was pretty sure that it wasn’t going to be her parents. She may have not known a whole lot about the legal system but if her parents walked in after what she told them than she probably would have never trusted it again. She was hoping that it would have been any of her siblings because all they would had have done would be take her back to her parents. All of her Aunts and Uncles were just like them so that wouldn’t have been much better. She might have had some relative she didn’t know about that wouldn’t have done that, but if that was the case she would have never me them. Living with a stranger would be strange, but it probably wouldn’t be worse than what she had seen while she was sleeping.

What she really hadn’t been expecting was her estranged brother Everett to come for her. They had never really been close, and she could still remember being forced to pray over him to cure him of his perversion. She hadn’t even the slightest clue what they had been talking about but she knew that disobeying her father was the fastest way to get punished. It had been nice to have her family distracted from her so she kept her head down and did as she was told. But now that she had gone through it herself

She was really surprised to see Everett, but she was even more surprised that he brought someone. If she actually made it out of here she didn’t think she was ever going to tell anyone about what her family was like, and here Everett was bringing a person. Than again he had had a lot more time to adjust, so maybe one day when she had been in the real world she would bring someone into this, but that would probably be in a long long time. She lifted her eyes slightly so that she could look at him and after a few seconds she started to see some features that she could remember her older brother having, the other man was still a mystery. “I can’t believe they found you...and that you came.” The way Everett left had been sudden and angry and she had thought that he didn’t want anything to do with them ever again.

Jude forgot all of the “training” her parents put her through flew out of her head at the name Ephraim and her head snapped up so she could look at them. She had always been curious about the older brother she couldn’t remember but had been used as a threat whenever she acted out. She had never met him, but she had always been told if she wasn’t careful she was going to end up like him, dead or a sinner. She looked at him for a few seconds and he looked fine. “Ephraim..Jake?” She could kind of understand the middle name thing, she had kind of made the same choice. “The told me that you had died.” She didn’t know what else to say. All she had ever heard about that mysterious older was that he died and if she wasn’t careful she would end up just like him.

“New York? Like the city?” She wanted to leave Wyoming but she didn’t know if she was ready to go to the city of cities, and she also didn’t want to forced her brothers to do something that they would end up regretting.

She didn’t really say much for a few seconds. This was awkward and she felt awkward. There was a social worker just staring at them. Finally after a few moments Nancy asked if it would be alright if she left. They seemed to be getting along and Nancy looked like she recognized that her being there was making things a little awkward. Jude told her it would be alright and after some assurances that she would be just outside the door Nancy left.

Once Jude was sure they were alone she took a few steps closer to her brother. Nothing too close, but close enough to talk quietly and not be overheard. “I didn’t know they were calling you or were making you come so far.” She felt guilty that they had been pulled away, especially since she was pretty sure she didn’t deserve to be rescued. “I want to leave, and they tell me I can’t just can’t go She sighed knowing that they were right but not really wanting to admit it.

She looked back down and frowned a little. She really wanted to leave with them, but she needed to know what they would be deal with if she went with them. “I ran away….but they might have been right there is something wrong with me...something evil and they were trying to get rid of it.” It had hurt and she hated it, but she still thought that she had deserved it. “I see things I shouldn’t see and know things I shouldn’t know. I can’t stop it and I don’t know what it is.”

She tilted her head back further so that her face was hidden behind a curtain of gold. “I am evil...I think, or at least there is something in me, and you guys don’t have to take me anywhere. You shouldn’t have to have that in your life.” She didn’t know where she was going to go, but she wasn’t going to force her curse on these two men she didn’t really know even if they were her brothers.

PM
^
Everett Tanner
 Posted: May 8 2018, 03:46 PM
Flicker
23 AGE
44 POSTS
X-Resident
CLASS

Everett was quiet as Jake explained that they could take her back to New York if she wanted. Everett took a moment to inspect his sister's face. Beyond the bruising and the confused expression, he made mental note of certain facial features, hair color, eye color, etc. that were familiar. She was a lot older now, on her way to womanhood, than when he had last seen her. All things considered, it was good to see that she got out alive; though, memories and flashes of being prayed over and beaten bubbled up in his mind that gave him pangs of anger. Jude was a direct memory of that. He could remember seeing each person's face when they prayed over him, the expressions they made as Eli beat and lashed him, and anger in their eyes as he ran away after empowering his dad with fire. Jude's was harder to remember, admittedly, but he still could see her expression - confused, angry, sad, and guilty all mixed together on the face of the little girl. Everett felt uncomfortable with all of it and subconsciously crossed his arms in defense.

*~*~*~*~ Earlier that morning on the jet~*~*~*~*

As the X-Jet zoomed through the air toward Wyoming, Everett sat in his seat, green faced and breathing in slowly. Bringing a bucket pulled from somewhere on the plane, Jake sat down and handed it to Ev, who held it close to his chest. It wasn't just the swift moving jet; it was the nerves of seeing his sister and returning back to Wyoming.

Finally acknowledging the elephant in the room, Jake said, "I'm not letting you keep custody. You are 22 years old. You have a whole life to lead. You don't need to be saddled with a teenager who is adjusting to the world. We've both been there. It isn't easy. I have a support system and a structure in place. She'll still be at the Mansion with us. But I think legally, it's better for me to be the one making the choices for her."

Everett sat there confused and looked away from Jake uncomfortably, avoiding eye contact. The social workers called Everett, not Jake. Who was his older brother to tell him that he couldn't take care of a teenager? Jake only knew so much about Everett, only as much as the younger brother felt like revealing, so how could his brother know that he would be a better guardian than Ev? Jake didn't know Jude, not at all. But Everett did. His older brother couldn't fathom how much more strict the Tanner family got after Jake left. Everett sat there offended; though, he made sure not to show it on his face. Deep down Everett knew that Jake was right though. Everett knew that he was still growing and maturing as he learned to navigate life without any mentors to guide him. Jake had mentors and a watchful eye when he first came to the mansion to help steer him down a good path into adulthood. In some ways, the professor was the father-figure to Jake that Everett should have had. Everett's path was a little bit more sinuous, with numerous setbacks and leaps. Still not wanting to admit that Jake was right, Everett just sat there for a moment and said, "Fine. Whatever." His tone had no anger, sass, or sarcasm, but he did sound disconnected from the situation, as if he couldn't be bothered to really give it much thought. In some ways, the apathetic tone was a dead give away that Ev was lying and felt offended for frustrated....or something. It was in stark contrast to his panicked tone the night before.

After the discussion ended, Jake went back to the controls...

*~*~*~*~ Back in Wyoming ~*~*~*~*

Eventually, Nancy left to give them some privacy as the two older brothers and sister reconnected. After Nancy left, sliding past Everett who still had his arms crossed, and closed the door, Jude came closer and started explaining that something was wrong with her and that she thought she might be evil. Immediately, Everett sighed and rolled his eyes, not even trying to hide it. "Jesus fucking Christ, Jude. No. Just no." Everett stepped forward a little, uncrossing his arms, and placing his hands in his pockets, and spoke quietly but pointedly. Although he wasn't as tall as Jake, he was tall enough to tower over his sister. "You probably are a mutant like us. You're not evil. No one is evil here. Not even our praying, fear-mongering family who prays over others that are different." Everett was deliberate in his statement; though his intention was not to be mean necessarily, but to provide some insight for Jude. Though, after Everett voiced his opinion, he realized that he was probably going to get a talking to by Jake, and so backed off. Everett sometimes had trouble backing down, so he decided to quit while he was ahead. He walked over to the corner, heart slightly raised, and leaned against the wall, arms folded again. He just wanted to get this over with and be on their way with their sister.
PM
^
Jake Tanner
 Posted: May 9 2018, 09:14 AM
Velocity
34 AGE
252 POSTS
X-Men
CLASS 3

Jake smiled as his (much) younger sister softly. She was what, sixteen? One or so when everything happened. There was no reason for him to know her or her to know him. He wasn't surprised that she had been told he had died, Everett had said something similar. "Well I didn't. I'll explain on the way home." Because if nothing else, he would start to glow by then. "New York like the city, though we are about an hour north of it. It's pretty easy to go back and forth though." He'd take her in soon, go shopping and get her new clothes. Not only was it pretty 'standard' in these types of cases, but Jake knew first hand how much the clothes started to change how you thought of yourself. And they'd be new. Jake was on the lucky end in that his clothes had only gone through one person. They were all second hand, and even Elias didn't always get brand brand new clothing. He knew things were replaced as they could, but there were a lot of kids and clothing went on the back end. As long as a girl, and yes, always the girls, could mend it, it was wearable.

Now? Without the pressure, and without worrying as much about money, Jake tended to indulge a bit in clothing. He didn't always wear fancy things, but he had a number of nice suits, and even higher quality jeans. He told himself that was because they held up better if he ran fast, but mostly it was because he liked having new clothes.

He noted the way Ev had his arms crossed, wondering ab it what was going to through his brother's head. In some ways this was easier since he had met Ev. It opened up a small part of him that had been closed off since he was fifteen. It gave him a different type of family then what he had developed at the mansion. It let him start to heal and cope more with what occurred when he was a child. He knew Ev was still dealing with a lot of it.

Jake gave a quick nod as Nancy left, assuming she was going to get the custody paperwork together. Which was when Jude came close and started to tell them what she knew. That she was evil. Because of visions. As she talked a smile spread on her brother's lips. Though before Jake could say anything, could react, Ev cursed and then attempted a...well, it was a poor explanation but not a wrong one.

It would be easier to take her home to have this conversation, rather then in the social worker's office building but something about life and lemons. On the other hand, having some explanation before either him or their brother started to glow might stop a freak out from occurring.

"That's what they told me too. That I was evil. That the devil was in me, and heaven help me they were going to make sure the devil left. By any means." It was odd, he hadn't really thought about this much in fifteen years. The last time he really talked about it had been with Calli right after he returned. "Only they couldn't." Not only couldn't they, what they did made everything worse.

"What Everett was trying to say is that all of us have a genetic quirk." Frowning for a moment, not sure if she knew what genetics were since the whole god made everything idea. "We are all a little different from each other right? We all have blond hair, though Everett's barely qualifies and your are blonder than I am. You and I have blue eyes, Ev has darker ones. I'm darker than both of you. Those little difference things. Well, we each have another little one. We call them mutations." There was a reason he was a teacher, Jake was good at it. Trying to take the time to explain to someone who probably didn't know anything about it. He considered, for a moment, saying god made them this way, but he didn't believe that and he didn't know how Jude would feel on the whole thing.

"Everett over there glows different colors. I absorb some energy and can glow as well." No point in over whelming with some of the other things. "You have visions. I live and work in a school for people like us. For mutants." He explained more. Keeping his tone level and neutral.

Slowly he reached out to Jude, pulling her into a hug. Not carrying that she was a little stiff. "Jude I promise you, no one is going to call you evil again and that you will never go back to them. Ever. You aren't evil. You are wonderful and amazing." He told her quietly.

He handled her differently then he had Everett. Ev was much older, and had already known about his powers, already knew what he was. Yeah the details had been missing and so was his finesse but he knew. He wasn't going to make Jude live on the street to figure it all out. He hated that Ev had. But it meant he had to start with some idiotic basics.

For a moment, where almost no one but Ev would see, Jake's hands glowed as he made fists. Not truly away but the thought of going to and showing their parents just who they were and as a big fuck you was tempting. But he shifted around the energy and the glow dissipated. His focus had to be on his sister.

"We are going to take care of you. Promise." And he meant every work he said. He'd take care of her, with Everett and Calli's help. Hopefully at least. It was going to be another major bombshell if their relationship. It was one thing to bring home an injured 20something year old and another to bring home a scared sixteen year old.

PM
^
Jude Tanner
 Posted: May 10 2018, 10:54 AM
Prophet
16 AGE
30 POSTS
X-Resident
CLASS 2

It was a little weird being left alone with her brothers. She hadn’t been alone with any of her brothers in almost seven years. When she had turned eleven her parents had added the rule that she couldn’t be alone with her brothers because of some kind of temptation. She had never really understood that since it was her brothers, but she knew better than questioning it. You never questioned anything. However, it was good to be able to talk without someone listening and it sounded like she might have had to get used to it, because they were going to be in charge of her from now on.

She felt a little relieved when he said even though it was in New York it was a little bit of a way from the city. She had never seen New York City before, not even a picture but she had always heard her parents compare it to the cities of Sodom or Gomorrah. They said it was going to be destroyed one day because of the sinning and she didn’t want to be there when it happened. “Is it...nice there?” It probably didn’t matter since it wasn’t like she had anywhere else to go but she still wanted to know if it was a nice place.

She kept moving her eyes from brother to brother, not sure which one she should look at. On one hand she hadn’t seen Everett in forever and it was interesting to see how the features that she could remember on her brother as a boy had turned into a man. But on the other hand there was her older older brother. She hadn’t thought too much about the “dead” brother unless he was being used a threat to her but now that she knew he was alive and well she couldn’t stop looking at him.

But than Everett had his outburst and Jude’s eyes darted over to her brother. Hearing Everett swear made her pull back a little. She wasn’t used to having those kinds of words thrown around and it was really startling to hear it come out of her brother’s mouth. “Everett...you need to be careful.” Even if their parents weren’t around God was and he wouldn’t like hearing his name be used like that.

“Mutant?” she had never heard that word before. She especially hadn’t heard anyone call themselves a mutant. It kind of sounded like an insult but the way Everette said it made it sound like it might have been a good thing. Her eyebrows moved down a little as she wondered what he could have meant by mutant.

She turned her eyes back to Jake as she studied him for a few beats. “Than what is wrong with us? And why do they keep trying to beat it out of everyone?” Hearing that Jake had gone through beatings reminded her that Everette had too, and of course she knew what had happened to her so it really looked like there was a pattern, and not a good one. She looked back down at the ground and sighed. “I am sorry they hit you too.” She hadn’t actually been around for Jakes, but for some reason she couldn’t make herself just say it to just Everette.

Jude’s eyebrows lowered and her head tilted slightly at Jake’s explanation. Everette’s had startled her, but Jake’s confused her. She had been homeschooled all her life and they had never touched on genetics and she had never actually heard that word before. Thankfully Jake knew that she had no idea what he was talking about and explained. She nodded along even though she wasn’t sure she completely understood what he had said. “So...are you saying that because we’re all family we can all do weird stuff?” She didn’t understand how that would work but she was in no place to question anything her brother said. “I wish I glowed.” She said quietly. It sounded prettier and like she wouldn’t get the horrible headaches that had come before both her visions.

She looked up with question marks in her eyes. This was a lot to take in and she was really having a hard time processing it all. But there was one part that was sticking with her the most. He said there was a school for people like them. There wasn’t just a few people with these...mutations, but enough to make a whole school. “A whole school? Are they going to be...fine with me coming.” All of her life she had to ask permission to do anything and just showing up at a place uninvited made butterflies let loose in her stomach. Even though she was coming with her brother who was apparently a teacher made her wish she could find who was in charge and make sure it was alright.

Jude hadn’t been expecting anything. She had stopped expecting things when her father pulled her out of bed so her family could torture her. It had been a nice surprise when her brothers were willing to come get her, but she didn’t think there would be any more. She really didn’t think there would be any affection, there never had been a lot in the Tanner house so she was assuming that they would take care of her because they had to, and that’s about it.

She had not been thinking that he would hug her. She was pretty sure she could count the number of times she had been hugged on one hand, and definitely not with her brothers. She felt a little bit awkward at the hug and just stood here stiffly for a few seconds. It actually felt nice, but she didn’t know how to react but after a little bit she reached up and weakly wrapped her arms around him and gave him a little squeeze right before the hug ended. “Thank You Jake.”

She wasn’t sure how Jake knew that she was great, they had just met and he had no way of knowing what she was like . But she didn’t care as much as she should have. It was nice to hear even if he had now way of knowing if it was true or not.

She stepped back and nodded. “Thank You.” She looked from Jake to Everett “Thank you both.” She hesitated for a second not really sure what she should do. She felt like she should say something but she was having a hard time figuring out what it was. “And I can help with things, I don’t want you just taking care of me. I want to do things for you too.” She could only imagine how they were getting along, they were men after all and they couldn’t be expected to do certain things, or at least do them right. She would stop that, it was the least she could do. Besides, she had been taking care of her brothers for as long as she could remember, It will be much easy only have to do it for two of them.

This post has been edited by Jude Tanner: May 10 2018, 10:55 AM
PM
^
Everett Tanner
 Posted: May 12 2018, 05:08 PM
Flicker
23 AGE
44 POSTS
X-Resident
CLASS

Everett scoffed when Jude said he needed to be careful. He knew exactly what she meant, and having been an atheist, he couldn't help but scoff. Luckily, he realized that he needed to back off in time and walked over to his corner to brood as Jake explained the situation. Their older brother was certainly more patient than Everett was; it was an unfortunate trait that Ev inherited from Eli, their dad, which was hard for him to shake. Fortunately, he was well aware of the flaw and stepped back when he knew he needed to. He rumpled his nose at Jake's explanation of Everett's powers, which he described as "glowing different colors." It was a pretty poor explanation of his powers, but he figured it was easier to keep things simple for Jude, who was clearly clueless on mutations. While Jude was unaware of mutants, Everett actually had met several "ex-gay and ex-mutant" teens while at the conversion camp. He met a lot of good people who had come from similar families as the Tanners', and it was the first time he had learned about anything outside his family's cult-like religion. In some ways, it was ironic that the camp their parents sent him to was supposed to cure him of his homosexuality, yet it only reinforced it and taught him about mutants.

With the touching moment of Jude sympathizing with Jake over the family's praying over him, Everett couldn't help feel his blood boil. He wanted a personal, individualized apology from Jude. In that moment, he didn't care how old she was when everything happened. He felt as though it was a slap in the face. Here was his sister apologizing to a (more or less) stranger, yet no apology explicitly given to Everett. He didn't care whether or not it was implied in the statement; it still hurt. Everett bit his tongue and decided to keep quiet; though he was never good at keeping his angry from appearing across his face.

Despite being agitated, Everett did perk up when Jude mentioned wishing she could glow. Honestly, the side effects of his glowing, namely red or purple, weren't what they were cracked up to be, but he supposed glowing green could be pretty to someone, especially a 16 year old who liked bright, sparkly colors. The comment didn't change how he felt, but it did at least remind him of her innocence. She was a child, and while she did pray over him, what choice did she really have. "When we get home, I'll glow for you sometime." He said finally, though in a slightly cold and disinterested tone. His comment wasn't the most genuine sounding, but it was something.

When Jake discussed the school, and how Jude could go and learn about his powers there, Everett eye rolled at Jude's response. Of course they would be ok with her being there. Her older brother was a teacher there, and Everett was in the process of becoming the gym teacher for the next school year. Why wouldn't they want her there. "Of course they'd be ok with you being there, Jude," he said with a slightly tired sigh, finally leaving the corner where he stood. Though, he kept himself guarded with his arms crossed. He took a few steps forward to stand next to Jake as the two embraced. He wasn't expecting a hug, nor did he really want one, as evident by his body language, but he did appreciate the thank you from their younger sister. But before Everett could fully respond to Jude's suggestion about helping to clean up after her brothers, Nancy the social worker knocked on the door to check in on them. Everett, who was about to ask if Jude was good with laundry, immediately closed his mouth and figured they would discuss it later. If Jude wanted to make herself available to do his chores, well, he wasn't about to say no. The younger Tanner brother would certainly accept the help as an apology.

"Is everything ok in here?" Nancy asked in her sweet tone as she slowly stepped into the room. "If everything is ok, I figured we could handle some paper work and let you three be on your way." She closed the door behind her and walked to a desk before motioning for them to all sit down. She opened a file folder full of documents, which she pulled out and laid out in some sort of organized manner. "Now Everett, we contacted you because we didn't have contact information for Jake." Taking a moment to look at both the brothers and then finally at Jude, she asked, "Do we still want to go with that arrangement - you, Everett Tanner, being the legal guardian of Jude?" Maybe it was the aggravated look on Everett's face plus his overall body language, but it was very obvious that there was some tension coming from Everett.

Everett looked at Nancy briefly before shifting his eyes to Jude then Jake. He gave Jake a brief frown before shifting back to the social worker. "Jake would be a more -uh- appropriate guardian for Jude than me. We've discussed it, and Jake agreed to being her guardian instead of me." Everett looked down and waited for the conversation to shift over to Jake. The statement was technically a lie. There wasn't really a discussion; Jake simply stated that he was taking custody, and that was that. Still, even Everett knew to save face and to just let it be in front of his sister and the social worker. Although Everett didn't want custody or to have much to do with his sister, a part of him still wanted his family to apologize and love and respect him; maybe that was the reason for why he was hurt that Jake stepped in and took custody. Jake didn't care about any of that anymore, and Everett wasn't even sure if Jake viewed her as a sibling or just another child from a broken home that needed help.

This post has been edited by Everett Tanner: May 12 2018, 05:19 PM
PM
^
Jake Tanner
 Posted: May 14 2018, 03:15 AM
Velocity
34 AGE
252 POSTS
X-Men
CLASS 3

There were many question Jake had. Some that weren't worth asking and some that he was terrifed to have the answers too. The latter being mostly about Jude's life since Ev left, and about how bad things had gotten. He had vaguely remembered the no girls and boys left alone together rule. It had been a life time ago for him, and didn't think that would be such a problem right now.

Was New York nice? He shrugged. "It's been my home for fifteen years. It isn't my favorite city on the planet but yeah I think a lot of it's nice. Westchester is at least." The city proper was loud and big and bustling. He wasn't actually sure how well she might adjust there. Not initally. "It's very different than here." The whole state didn't have as many people as New York. To say nothing of the density. He'd need to make sure someone was with her the first few times she went in to the city. Just to make sure.

Jake was focused on Jude, pretending for a moment that his brother was an actual adult who could look past his own hurt for their baby sister. He knew that Ev was still upset but it was something that would have to be dealt with another time and his closed offness wasn't really helping.

He shook his head. "Nothing is wrong with us Jude. Nothing at all. After all, according to our parents, we are what God made us to be. And God made humanity perfect right? His special chosen children. Why would something be wrong with us if we are what we are suppose to be?" He hated that he even had to bring God into the conversation. Hated that he needed to use any part of the bible to make her believe that she was okay. But what other choice did he have? The science was way above her head.

"It isn't just family. It is...there are a lot of us Jude. More than just our family." He tried to explain, shaking his head a bit. He smiled as Ev promised to glow for her. He'd probably glow first unless Ev showed her outside, and hopefully remembered not to glow anything other than green while he did. Both for all their sakes and for Jude. Who knew what might happen if her powers increased suddenly.

Before Jake could respond about the school, Ev decided to. His brother's attitude was starting to grate on Jake. Unsure why Everett was still feeling and acting this way. They had a larger problem to focus on then past hurt. Jake wasn't thrilled about what happened to him but the only person he ever blamed was Eli. Eli held all the reigns and they all knew it. Probably still held the reigns over his grandchildren. He didn't know if the whole family had prayed of him, or participated, that he'd have the same view of things. But that hadn't happened and right now there was a larger problem to focus on then years old pain.

"What Ev is trying to say is that they already know you are coming and they are fine with it. We often take in mutants who have no where else to go." He wondered if that was going to upset Ev more since Ev wasn't found and therefore wasn't brought to the mansion.

The family wasn't affectionite, but Jake had become such. Just being around people who sometimes just needed a hug. He didn't mind that she was stiff but her relaxing got a large smile from his face. "You are welcome." Almost telling her to thank Ev too but knowing that would be misinterpreted and he didn't want to start things that way. He was about to pull Ev, who was still sulking, into the hug. Until she started to talk about repaying.

His answer died as the social worker walked back in. The answer of you don't have to. Just try to be a teen and not worry about things that teenagers shouldn't deal with. He raised an eyebrow with the way Ev responded. Hearing the bitterness there. "Whoever gets us out of here the fastest, me or him." Jake corrected. Just wanting to take Jude home.

As for custody, if the choice was Eli, Foster care or Ev, there wasn't a choice. Really the only reason Jake was taking custody was because Everett was 22 and didn't deserve to be saddled with a teenager. Jake had been 22 and started to travel around the world. By himself. If he had a brother or sister show up, he wouldn't have gotten that chance or oppertunity. He was giving Everett the chance for the same thing.

He was right about something though. Jake didn't care about the politics of the situation. Of how Everett felt regarding the family. Part of him even a little nervous that Ev would take out old pain on their sister. Not on purpose but just because he was angry and she was the only one he could take it out on.

He was well aware of Jude being his sister and if she had just been another teen from a broken home or kicked out, things would have been handled very differently. Including custody being given to the school rather than him. "Ev, if it's okay with Nancy do you want to take her outside? Get some air while I finish the paperwork?" He suggested. Maybe Ev could show her him glowing while they were out. Not even have to worry that Jake might be caught in the light.

PM
^
Jude Tanner
 Posted: May 14 2018, 12:30 PM
Prophet
16 AGE
30 POSTS
X-Resident
CLASS 2

If the Tanners were a normal family, or even a somewhat functioning one than she might have noticed that Everett was acting strange. He seemed cold and annoyed at times, and at other times genuinely annoyed. However, the Tanners had been kind of a distant family at best. At least that was all she remembered, things might have been different but she had grown up with parents that were losing their children to the Devil. Or so they thought. So things had been a little tense most of the time. Plus she hadn’t been around the boys too much so she didn’t know how they acted. Even if she had been around the boys Everett had been gone for so long it was hard for her to remember what he was like, so she just kind of thought he was always like this.

He did seem a little stiff and upset, at least that was what she was getting from him. But that wasn’t very odd either. At the farm the boys were supposed to be “men” and that meant they didn’t show a little emotion. He might have been in the middle of something and had been interrupted in the middle of it to come get her and wanted to get back, which could have been why he was standing there with arms crossed and not being careful about what he was saying. She just hoped God would forgive him for his outburst. Even if it didn’t look like he cared too much.

Jake did seem like he was a lot warmer than Everett. It wasn’t what she was used to but it was something that she liked. The only reason she had been able to sleep last night was because she had been exhausted, but it had been a restless sleep and she had been on edge pretty much from the moment her father had ripped her from her bed. She hadn’t really felt at ease unil the older Tanners had arrived. Everett because she knew him and it was good to see a familiar face not tormenting her. Jake just because he seemed to have the kind of personality that could people at ease.

“Is that you went there? Because its so different than here?” Jude may have not been thinking about getting out for long, but now that she was she kind of wanted to be anywhere that wasn’t like Wyoming. The problem was she didn’t know what any place was like other than Wyoming. So she was really happy someone else was telling her where to go. “So its not like the city city?” Even with what little she knew she knew about New York and she really didn’t think she cold handle a city like that.

There might come a time in Jude’s life where hearing about God would do nothing to help her feel better, but now was not that time. All of her life had been filled with God This and God That. It was comforting to hear that maybe God had made her this way so she wasn’t as evil as her parents said she was. “I guess that makes sense, they always said he doesn’t make any mistakes.” But than an idea hit her that her sniffle and she could feel tears building up again and she swiped at her eyes to get rid of them before they fell wincing as she hit the bruise under her eye. “But why couldn’t dad see that?” She may have run away and not wanted to see her parents before she left, but he was still her dad and having him hate her hurt.

She was a little surprise to find out that there were a lot of people like them. Enough to make a whole school. It was kind of adding to the evidence that maybe they weren’t all as evil as her father thought they were. But before she could actually ask anything Everett spoke up.

Jude’s eyes did light up a little when Everett told her that he would glow for her. She had never seen someone glow before, but it did sound like it could be pretty. She still wasn’t exactly one hundred percent sure what they meant but mutation, but they both looked healthy and happy so maybe the devil wasn’t in them, and if that was the case maybe it wasn’t in her either, and she really did like that idea. “Thank you Everett!” Than she paused realizing she should check with something first. “It doesn’t hurt does it? Because if it does, I don’t want you to.” She wouldn’t want her brother to feel any pain, even for pretty lights.

“I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t going to be imposing on someone.” She was still having a little bit of a hard time wrapping her mind around everything they were telling her so she was going to cling to something that she knew, and that was making sure she wasn’t going to be a burden. Than Jake explained it a little more and she actually smiled. “Oh. I had no idea. Umm...I am sorry I asked about that.” She should have known better. They wouldn’t have come to get her if it wasn’t ok, and she really shouldn't have questioned them like that.

When Nancy came back Jude stepped back a little. She liked Nancy, the woman had been nothing but nice to her. However, she knew who was in charge during this situation. Well she thought she did. It was either Everett or Jake, she wasn’t exactly sure which one since they had called Everett, but Jake was older. Anyway, the point was it wasn’t her, so Nancy probably had nothing to say to her so it would be best if she just stayed out of the way. Nancy seemed just as confused as she was, but it looked like the brothers had discussed it and decided that Jake was going to be taking custody.

For reasons she didn’t really understand her heart sunk a little when they said Jake would be in charge of her. She liked him so far and he had been nicer to her than Everett had but she didn’t know him. She was happy he was willing to be in charge of her, but she wondered how that happened. It wasn’t that she didn’t want Jake but she wondered if that met Everett hadn’t wanted her and that made her feel bad, or like she really wasn’t worthy.

She glanced over at Nancy when Jake made his suggestion and she nodded a little so Jude looked up at Everett. “Do you want to go outside while Jake fills out paperwork?” She wanted to, but she didn’t want to be alone so if Everett wanted to stay in she would too.

PM
^
Everett Tanner
 Posted: May 15 2018, 03:47 AM
Flicker
23 AGE
44 POSTS
X-Resident
CLASS

Throughout Jake and Jude's conversations, Everett remained mostly silent, brooding. Of course, he had his interjections and outbursts of annoyance at Jude's naivety, but overall, he wanted nothing more than to just run away from all of it. He had little interest in making nice and pretending to be all loving and happy to see his little sister when all he felt was a burning anger deep inside. When he first heard about Jude's situation, there was shock, dread, happiness, and pain, but since Jake stated his taking custody of Jude there was a rage bubbling up that seared through all the other feelings he was experiencing. Everett was young and immature at times - a quality that he even admitted, but he felt as though Jake's stepping in was an absolute slap in the face. After Everett escaped and had no one to turn to, there were no rich telepaths in wheelchairs or long lost older brothers to help him out. Not even social workers. He scratched and clawed for survival on the streets. He did terrible things that would bring Jude, and maybe even Jake, to tears just to survive. And now, here was his older brother saving the day for their little sister, who he didn't even know. It was a purely selfless act, which was kindling for the fire. What he thought was anger about the past wasn't just anger, it was pure jealousy. He was jealous that Jude was getting help in ways he never imagined after running away. He was jealous of Jake's calm, collected, and charming personality, not to mention his life, powers, career, and god knows what else he did at the mansion behind closed doors. Of course, Everett didn't fully understand that he was experiencing jealousy; emotions were hard for him to pinpoint and articulate. It was a combination of their crazy upbringing, as well as his life on the streets. To survive, he couldn't show weakness, not even while doing the deed to keep a roof over his head.

When Jake suggested waiting outside with Jude, Everett stared blankly at Jake, then at Nancy, and then at Jude, who seemed to be agreeable to the idea. "Fine." He said somewhat abruptly, though without any noticeable attitude. He stood up quickly and muttered, "Let's go wait outside, Jude. I'll show you that...trick I mentioned earlier." He muttered in a bored tone. Hopefully there wasn't too much paper work for Jake to fill out because Everett wasn't keen on entertaining his sister. In fact, he almost would have rather sat there in silence next to Jake and made Jude wait outside, but even he wasn't that mean. He exited the office, briefly holding the door open for Jude behind him. He stuffed his hands in his skinny jeans pockets after pulling up his hood over his head. He didn't bother looking behind him to check that Jude was following him; he figured she would catch up if she fell behind.

"We'll just be outside waiting for Jake Tanner," muttered Everett boredly to the police station front desk clerk, who smiled warmly and motioned for them to proceed. Everett walked out before Jude and quickly turned left along the sidewalk that wrapped around the police station. Stopping finally at the end of the way, where a bench was positioned. Sitting down, he inhaled deeply, nostrils filled with the clean Wyoming air. He looked over at Jude, sighed, and said, "Jake is taking custody because he can better provide for you. I'm..." he paused to find his words, taking a moment to look out at the beautiful mountains around them, "I'm not exactly stable, and in this world, if you don't have stability, life will eat you up and spit you out. I can't provide that, but Jake can. That's why he's taking over from here." He was silent for a moment, scanning his surroundings. There was nothing like the mountains; no Danger Room simulation could get it exactly right. As he sat there thinking about it alone with Jude, he finally came to terms with the idea that it really was for the best. Jake was right; Everett wouldn't have been able to take care Jude in a way that any individual deserves. It was the most "adult" thought he had since arriving in his old home state.

After a moment of awkward silence, Everett said, "My powers are a little bit more complicated than Jake explained, so a full light show will have to wait until we know more about how our powers will interact, but I can give you a small demonstration." For a second, Everett forgot he was talking to his sister, and his tone shifted to a softer, more loving one, not much different than Jake's. Wanting to show Jude a small display of his powers, Everett looked around to make sure that no one was nearby to see nor were there any security cameras in range. Exhaling, he turned on his green glowing powers, flickering an emerald aura for only a few seconds before powering down. It wasn't that bright of a glow, especially because it was during the day time and he was trying to be discrete, but it was enough to show his sister that she wasn't alone. That they all had a special gift that wasn't evil. "I can glow red and purple too, but the side effects are unpredictable for other mutants."

This post has been edited by Everett Tanner: May 15 2018, 03:52 AM
PM
^
Jude Tanner
 Posted: May 17 2018, 03:13 PM
Prophet
16 AGE
30 POSTS
X-Resident
CLASS 2

Being a Tanner girl was hard. Being a Tanner of either gender was hard but the girls had much more restrictive rules that they had to follow. It was up to the girls to make sure that no man ever had sinful thoughts about them. However, there was one thing that her parents had taught her that turned out to work very well for her, and not so much for them. Authority. The girls had to know how important it was to follow proper authority. Granted their hierarchy was a little messed up but police were eventually on the list, which was why when she ran away she went to straight to the police. She had been a little scared, but it was working out a lot better than it could have been. She wouldn’t have even known how to start making it on the street so it was a good thing she had thought to run to people who could actually help her. Her blind obedience to authority was also why she wasn’t going to do anything unless her brothers said it was ok.

She really did want to go outside, but she wouldn’t have done it if Everett or Jake had told her no. She was happy when Everett had agreed to go wait with her. This was probably going to be the last chance she had to smell fresh mountain air and she didn’t want to miss it. “Thank You Everett.” He didn’t seem like he wanted to go outside but for whatever reason he had agreed to go with her and that really did make her happy. “Oh. I would love to see that trick.” She had never seen a person glow before and she was really excited to see her brother do it.

Jude followed behind Everett as best as she could , but her legs were much shorter than his and he wasn’t exactly walking slow to make it easy to keep up with him. But she was able to not get so far behind she got lost. She smiled at the officer as they walked by but didn’t say anything since it looked like Everett had somewhere to be. She just followed him and didn’t say anything. She hesitated when he sat down not sure if she should sit with him or not but after a few moments she sat down on the bench next to him, but not too close. She looked over at him out of the corner of her eye, but than when she heard what he had to stay she turned her whole head so she could look at him. “Oh. I...are you alright?” She hadn’t really thought about it when the police told her they were going to call her brother but it might have really disrupted his life and she actually felt a little bad that maybe she was ruining something. “I hope they didn’t pull you away from something really important.” It wasn’t something she had thought about and now that she had she really felt bad.

“Oh?” She was still trying to wrap her head around the fact that mutants were a thing and that she was one she hadn’t even thought that maybe there were more to powers than just one thing. “Whatever you think is best.” She noticed that his voice was different than it was when they were inside. It was much softer and warmer, and she kind of wondered why. Maybe he was one of those people who didn’t like police.

But she didn’t have a lot of time to think about it because soon her brother was glowing green. She gasped a little but watched him. It was pretty like she thought it would be but it was still a little bit of a shock seeing her brother glow like light. When he was done she couldn’t stop smiling at him, it may have been nothing like what she could apparently do but it was good know that she wasn’t alone. Her forehead furrowed slightly when he was talking about other colors. “So, different colors do different things? How did you figure that out?” As they were talking she could feel a little bit of pain building up in her temples That wasn’t a good sign. She started rubbing at her head hoping that she could make it go away. “Do you ever miss it here?” She wanted to know since she had a feeling she was never going to be back to the place that she had called her home all her life, and she was hoping that his answer would distract her and maybe make her headache go away.

PM
^
Everett Tanner
 Posted: May 18 2018, 02:10 AM
Flicker
23 AGE
44 POSTS
X-Resident
CLASS

Everett didn't answer Jude's questions regarding if Everett was alright and if they had pulled him away from important matters. Any answer he would give would lead to more questions, which couldn't be properly addressed right then and there. Was he stable? Eh, yes-ish. When employed, he could live his life on a budget and do well enough to survive. It wasn't a glamorous life, but being a personal trainer and bartender was never the long term goal anyway. Unfortunately right now he wasn't employed; though, there was talk of his becoming the physical education teacher, which the school lacked, as well as providing training to some of the non-student residents at the school. Nothing was set in stone though, and Everett suspected that they were taking this at a leisurely pace to make sure that Everett was even going to stay. He was skittish after all, choosing to run than deal with life's hurtles. He was still learning how to function in society, something that he wasn't entirely sure a sixteen year old could understand; Everett was supposed to be an adult, and he was, but Everett also had to figure out adulthood on his own. That meant there were some gaps and other issues he had yet to address. In time, he would reveal all of it to Jude, but right now wasn't the time. "Don't worry about it," he mumbled looking back at her before proposing to glow for her.

After a brief display of his powers, Everett powered down to avoid attention by anyone that could have been around. Wyoming was a very difficult place - residents of the state had a libertarian world view, a "live and let live" mentality, which wasn't a terrible thing, but it did make things tricky for those that were different. Conservative and traditional values were strongly held by many of the state's residents, and being a bit out of place as a gay, metro mutant, he didn't want to draw any attention to them, especially with Jude's guardianship hanging in the balance. Luckily, the brightness of the daylight helped conceal the raw brilliance of his glow, not that he glowed brightly to begin with. "I can glow more brightly than that, I'm just trying to keep things on the down low," Everett said in response to her shocked countenance. He noticed a slight change in her expression, a furrowing of her brow, as he discussed his powers. Though, he paid little attention to it, figuring she was just trying to understanding his explanation. "More or less. Glowing green is just light - very useful for caving," he smirked to himself, but only briefly. Still speaking in a relatively quiet, calm voice, he continued, "When I glow red, I can dampen the powers of other mutants. They either grow weaker in the use of their powers, or they completely lose their abilities all together." He nodded as he explained, subconsciously maintaining a calm disposition. Growing up, Everett used to self sooth by either excessively nodding, or by bringing his knees to his chest, arms wrapped around his legs, and rocking. "It's only a temporary effect. Not permanent. As for the effects of glowing purple, well, that's a bit challenging to explain, but basically I amplify or activate the powers of mutants, or some people who aren't mutants, but could have mutant children..."

As he spoke, he subconscious started emulating Jake's speech patterns and mannerisms from being around him a lot over the past few weeks. It wasn't intentional, but Everett definitely picked up some of Jake's "Jakeisms" that were difficult to illustrate or describe, but were definitely present. It was a good thing overall, helping Everett be a more well-rounded individual.

When Jude asked how he figured all of this out, he looked down at his hands clasped in his lap and then back at her. Anger began to boil up in him a little bit as he thought about the past. "The night I left, I got into an argument with one of our siblings - I couldn't even tell you who now - and dad came in to break up the argument. Terrified, my powers activated, causing dad's X-Gene - you know, the part of dad we inherited that made us mutants - to activate. I couldn't help it or control it. Dad's body was engulfed in the light, and he developed a living-fire mutation - his whole body transformed into red and orange flames. It only lasted a few seconds, but...." he trailed off and crossed his arms defensively. He had no real idea what his sister was told after Everett left. He assumed that the story would have been different or the fiery part would have been omitted. Regardless, it was how he discovered he could "power up" someone. "If I didn't run away that night, especially knowing what the family had done to me for years..." He eyes became noticeably more wet as he thought about the torture, the praying, and the physical abuse he endured, but he held back any other signs of emotions. He slid over farther on the bench away from Jude, not looking at her. "Anyway, um once on my own I experimented with a few mutants I had met along the way, and the rest is history I guess." He didn't want to talk about it anymore because he didn't want to feel anything but anger at that time. He was still angry at Jude for being apart of that torture. He knew it was absurd given her age, but it didn't matter. He needed to feel something, and anger was the most convenient.

He looked away for a moment and then back at Jude, noticing her rubbing at her forehead and temples, as if distracted by something like a headache. Everett's eyes squinted, feeling a little annoyed that she didn't seem to be paying attention. Whatever, he thought. When she asked if he had missed Wyoming, he furrowed his brow momentarily at the oddity of the question. Sure, Wyoming was beautiful and had a charm to it that you couldn't find anywhere else in the world, but Everett liked his Starbucks, his manicures, his subways, and bustling streets. It gave the hyperactive young man something always stimulating, which Wyoming could never give. "I don't know..." he mumbled again, with a slightly cold tone while looking away. "New York is so much better than here," he scoffed with an eye roll as he looked over at Jude.

This post has been edited by Everett Tanner: May 21 2018, 02:28 AM
PM
^
Jude Tanner
 Posted: May 21 2018, 02:09 PM
Prophet
16 AGE
30 POSTS
X-Resident
CLASS 2

Despite her brother telling her not to worry Jude couldn’t help it. She had never wanted to be a burden on anyone especially on a brother that hadn’t she hadn’t seen in a long time, and one that she had never met before. When she was baby didn’t count. Even if they said it wasn’t a problem she had a hard time believing it. She thought about asking Everett for more details, but she didn't. He was older than she was, a man, and possibly in charge of her and those were all very good reasons for her to not question anything he said. So instead of the hundreds of questions she had bubbling around in her head she just nodded a little and looked down at the ground and kept her eyes down there for a little bit. “Yes. Everett.”

Jude hadn’t known what she had been expecting when Everett said he could glow, but it really hadn’t been that. It was a lot prettier than she thought and she loved it. She was a little sad when he made it go away, but she understood. The treatment from their parents wasn’t exactly unusual for this area, in fact she was probably lucky they hadn't called them when she showed up, and big bright power displays probably weren’t the greatest idea. “Yes. I understand why. Not everyone is exactly friendly here.” The more her brothers talked to her the more she wondered what exactly she was getting herself into. It seemed like the world had so much more than she could ever imagine and she was probably going to be considered stupid out there. “So...green is like a nice night light?” You didn’t have as many siblings as they did without knowing about night lights. “Red makes people waker and purple makes them stronger?” She didn’t know why but she wanted to know as much as she could about her brother’s powers. “I know that’s a super simplified way of saying it I am just trying to remember.”

The more Everett talked the more she realized she had a little bit of a hard time following what he was saying. Not that he was hard to understand, but more like it was a lot of information that she was trying to take in. Now that she knew that was what people were ike on the outside she was getting more and more nervous that she was going to have a hard time fitting in. She wanted to ask Everett about it, but he seemed tense and she wasn’t really ready to open up to him yet.

Jude listened while Everett talked. Her eyes widened a little as she remembered exactly what he was talking about. “I was there. I don’t remember who you were fighting with. But I remember the flames. I didn’t know what happened and never even thought you might have done it. I just knew you were gone after.” She looked at him and saw that he looked like he might cry, but before she could do anything to help him he slid away from her. She hesitated for a moment before pulling of the sweater she was wearing. It felt a little strange wearing just a tank top but she was more worried about her brother than that. Besides, no one was around to tell her what to wear and that was one rule she had always hated the most. She awkwardly handed the sweater to Everett like he could use it to wipe his eyes. “I don’t have any tissues, but you can use this if you want.” She wanted to pay attention to her brother’s answer. She wanted his voice to fix her headache, but it wasn’t happening, in fact it was getting worse. It had started in her temples but had crept to back of her eyes and than just all over. Just when she thought she couldn’t take it anymore her eyes rolled in the back of her head and she slumped over onto her side on the bench.

A few seconds after she hit the bench she started rockings on her side while muttering. “No...don’t….stop…..STOP….DON’T KILL THEM!”

PM
^
Everett Tanner
 Posted: May 23 2018, 03:46 AM
Flicker
23 AGE
44 POSTS
X-Resident
CLASS

Everett only nodded a "yes" in response to Jude's response about Everett's powers - red = weaker, purple = stronger. Close enough. He figured that this was a lot to take in, and even he couldn't blame his young, naive sister for reasoning it out in simplistic terms. When Jude stated that she didn't know the reason why Everett left, that he was just gone one day, Everett wasn't surprised that his parents withheld information about his exodus from the family. They had tried the same with Jake; though, Everett knew better. In some ways, it made him angry that his parents couldn't even be honest with their children. You want to be a judgy, hell-spawn screwing hatred under the guise of Godliness? Fine. But be honest about it. Ev had little patience for that sort of nonsense, and it made him angry that Jude didn't get to know the real reason. If she had, maybe she could have left the family before it got as bad as it did. Though she probably wouldn't have had a much better life given Everett's situation less than a year ago.

Explaining the past hurt. It was like picking at a scab that would never heal. Every time he had to explain what happened then brought up emotions that Ev didn't really know how to deal with. When he left he family, he should have seen a counselor, but he wasn't in a position to seek one out. He was too busy surviving, and to survive, he buried everything deep down, or as deeply as he could. Unfortunately for Ev, he always wore his heart on his sleeve, even if he pretended he didn't. As tears tried to well up in his eyes, Ev positioned himself away from Jude, a subconscious act of self-protection. He didn't want anyone to see his vulnerable side, especially his siblings. "I'm fine." He said abruptly looking away from her with arms folded. He wasn't about to go and admit that he was feeling emotions - men were not supposed to feel anything. Something about being back in Wyoming, his family so close, brought out some of those old habits whether he intended or not. "Put your sweater back on, it's chilly," he muttered. It really wasn't that cool out, but there was a slight briskness to the mountain air that spring morning.

When Jude hadn't responded, Ev looked over just as Jude's eyes rolled back and her body fell limp, slumping onto his side. "Jude? Jude?!" he yelped as she fell over, startling him. Was she having a seizure, what on earth was going on? He swiftly got up and positioned himself in front of her, resting on his haunches as she began to shake and shout out. "Jude...Wake up. Wake up goddamnit!" he shook her shoulder, trying to wake her from whatever episode she was having. This didn't look like a seizure, especially if she was muttering. He began to wonder if this was apart of her mutation. He didn't know what to do, but he knew he couldn't rush in and ask for Jake, revealing that they were mutants, including Jude. Deciding he had no choice, he turned on his red glow, flickering a red and orange aura, hoping it would diminish her powers. With his experience with Jake in trying out their powers, he was terrified it would result in a disaster, like worsening her condition, but someone had to act fast as far as he was concerned. He did his best to keep the glow at a moderate brightness, not wanting to glow so brightly that it attracted attention to the police officers inside. Luckily, there weren't any windows that showed them in view.

Without waiting for his powers to work, he grabbed his phone and text Jake: "Come outside. Now."

As Jude ranted on about killing, Everett tried to make sense of all of it despite being terrified of what was happening. Sure, he wanted little to do with her, but that didn't stop him from being family and caring. He was terrified for her and hoped his powers would bring her back. "What's happening, Jude? Talk to me." he stated, trying to figure out what to do. He felt as though he was getting no where.

This post has been edited by Everett Tanner: May 25 2018, 03:43 AM
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

OPTIONSPages: (2) 1 2  REPLY NEW TOPIC START POLL

Affiliates
Candyland Couture Shadowplay
UNCANNY EVOLUTION Heroes Reborn WHAT WE CHOOSE
GLITTER & GOLD Infinite Dreams