Welcome to Flawed

winter 2018

Character of the Moment
Thread of the Moment
Couple of the Moment
Member Group of the Moment

REPLY NEW TOPIC START POLL

Bitches and Bored Walks, Open to anyone!
Robert Drake
 Posted: Sep 5 2017, 05:19 PM
Iceman
Twenty Three AGE
17 POSTS
X-Men
CLASS

September 2017

There were a great many things one could do on a beach, and Bobby’s bucket list featured a few of them. Walking on the sand with an ice cream wasn’t on there, but on this fine afternoon he did it anyway, toffee ice cream with a wafer cone and best of all, he could take his sweet time with it because around Bobby, ice cream didn’t just melt. Poor unfortunate souls, having to race to eat their ice cream before it melted all over their hands.

Not that there was much risk of that happening in the early September weather. It was warm still, but Autumn was definitely on its way and Bobby was, to the surprise of nobody, looking forward to it. Sure, summer was great and Bobby liked to sit and catch some rays as much as the next guy – not to mention it was the weather when all the bods were out on shameless display – but the ice mutant felt a bit more at home when it snowed. It was a bit lame to admit, and although he didn’t ever say it outright, it was generally agreed upon that Bobby preferred winter. It was one of those associations people just put together, like when cat mutants liked drinking milk and chasing laser pointers. Just because it was true didn’t mean he went harping on about it like some Disney princess.

He found a bench where he could sit and watch a group of adults horsing around in the cold water like they were lovestruck teens, settling with his ice cream in one hand and his phone in the other. He didn’t feel the cold but Bobby still made sure he wore a dark blue jacket and a thick, loose scarf that draped appropriately where he was sitting, hanging off him not unlike a tired hammock. Beneath all this were some not-too-skinny-jeans. Bobby ate plenty of ice cream and they still fit just fine, but he didn’t want to crush anything. Just because he didn’t want to have kids someday didn’t mean he was going to squish his-

A ball rolled in his direction from the group and Bobby peered over his sunglasses at it, pocketing his phone in a practiced motion before he scooped it up and tossed it back their way. One of the lads waved, Bobby gave him a grin, and then he went back to checking his phone. He was peering over his sunglasses again to see the screen better, and on the dark background of the blog he was following it was possible to see his eyes. Looking for ourselves on our phones, he thought to himself, a slight crinkle in his eyes as he smiled a smile that came naturally and readily, at least to his lips. You’d think they’d work out how to do it by now. Just open an app and BAM, you’re that kind of guy. It’d make Tinder way easier. The thought washed over him and then he was back to the organic food blog, reviewing a new restaurant he had half a mind to try. It was easier to worry about finding your authentic self when you weren’t occupied with finding the best place to buy kale, or scarves made from locally produced fair trade natural materials, and that was how he spent a few happy minutes before it occurred to him that he didn’t live in a bubble and he hadn’t spoken to anyone for nearly thirty whole minutes.

He messaged a couple of the X-Men on his phone, mostly to check in but also to get some sort of conversation going that sometimes was a lot easier via text than when he was actually sitting in front of them. It was a bit ironic how devices originally intended to improve communication between people made it harder in some ways to get that intimate dialogue going. Bobby didn’t want to spill his guts to his teammates, but he did like to make sure they were alright, but just going up to them and saying “you alright?” like a normal person was a bit more raw and exposed than he felt up to at that time.

Ah well. Ice cream helped Bobby to ignore such feelings, and the guy with the wet t-shirt wasn’t too bad either. The sunglasses went back on his face properly, the phone went away, and Bobby finished his frozen treat nice and slowly. No melting meant he had all the time in the world to sit and people (person) watch, after all.

This post has been edited by Robert Drake: Sep 5 2017, 05:20 PM
PM
^
Ravi Doyle
 Posted: Sep 7 2017, 03:14 AM
Pagemaster
Thirty AGE
145 POSTS
Unaffiliated
CLASS 3

September 2017 | afternoon

The text message was the first contact of his Saturday; Ravi had found it difficult to motivate himself out into the public without some prodding, and while there had not been a direct invitation from the casual message from the permanently chill member of the X-Men, it was enough to cause the recent non-resident of Xavier’s Institute to seek out social interaction. Despite what one may have assumed about his role at Worthington Industries, there was little constant social interaction for an engineer unless it was time to test a product; generally, Ravi found himself locked in a room surrounded by an endless rotation of books centered around his main idea mixed with theoretical application research that may prove helpful to developing a new concept through convenient and practical means. It was a fancy way of saying that Mr. Doyle memorized a lot of things to put some pieces together and build upon an existing wealth of ideas. Grabbing a few too many items, Ravi sent a text back saying that he was looking forward to seeing Bobby and hoped that he did not mind the company of the six foot four giant moments after letting his good friend Mateo the former Uber driver know that he was needing to be taken to the beach. At this point in time, Ravi had practically had Mateo as a retainer and paid him handsomely for his services, much more than the rates he was getting through the casual taxi service he had once worked for. If Ravi’s reliable driver had other plans, there pair had worked out a short list of acceptable replacements to get the awkwardly tall and socially inept engineer around to attend to his needs.

Swimming trunks, slip on tennis shows with mid-calf high neon orange socks, a loose fitted white shirt, and a sun hat covered the thirty year old as his personal driver picked him up outside his lush apartment complex; let it be said that Worthington Industries knew how to take care of their employees, it probably helped that Ravi was practically poached from his last position after both impression Mr. Worthington with his work while learning how much he was being taken advantage of by his previous firm. It was enlightening to know that Ravi’s current employer seemed to be much more ethical than his earlier and that his compensation was being used on things that generally mattered; video games, movies, collectables, and ensuring that Mateo and his family had more than enough to support themselves while driving around the paper-bender. With a backpack on, Ravi got into the backseat of the car, placed his headphones in his ears after greeting Mateo, and listened to some soft music while the car made its way around the city; the drive itself was not too exciting, a lot of stopping and going due to traffic as the pair of men made their way out of the inner sections of the city towards the beach that Bobby had mentioned in his text message. Uncertain if he would be too overbearing, Ravi tried to be polite in keeping the human popsicle informed about his location with updated every fifteen minutes while also ensuring he was following such protocols as asking how the younger mutant was doing and how he was enjoying the sandy beaches.

Once arrived, Ravi felt out of place; many those in attendance were in groups with friends or their families while the Utah native found himself navigating through the seemingly large and loud crowd. Bobby was not to blame for such a quest, the man had merely told his location and Ravi had taken it upon himself to venture into the crowded world but it did not make the paper-bender feel any more part of the larger group. After awkwardly waddling around the cemented sidewalks until he made eye contact with Iceman, Ravi did his best to flash a smile to show his appreciation for the other man. It had gotten better over the years but still seemed forced, anyone who had interacted with the wood-bender could see how such social interactions were not the simplest of things for him to take part but was doing his best. Uncertain of how to greet the other man, Ravi awkwardly let his arms apart in case the younger, shorter man wanted a hug while also motioning his hands forward in case a fist bump, hand hug, or handshake were more proper for their level of intimacy. “How have you been Bobby? I do not think I have seen you in quite some time, I have not been good about getting out and doing things.” Allowing the man to response, Ravi turned his backpack around and removed a towel from its interior to be placed on the sand next to Iceman with his backpack placed upon it and not directly on the sand. It was not the smoothest of things, but it was a necessity if Ravi was to ensure that a minimal amount of sand transferred from the beach into his personal space. “Anything in particular you are wanting to do at the beach or is this more of a relaxation thing?” Wanting to be certain of the other man’s intentions, Ravi thought it was best to be aware of what was happening around him than being caught off guard; as the Boy Scouts alluded to, one could not ever be overprepared.

word count: 903
tag: @Matty

This post has been edited by Ravi Doyle: Sep 7 2017, 03:17 AM
PMAOL
^
Robert Drake
 Posted: Sep 7 2017, 04:47 PM
Iceman
Twenty Three AGE
17 POSTS
X-Men
CLASS

Of all the people to join Bobby on the beach, Ravioli wasn't the top of his list. He should have figured that mentioning it to a socially inept man would make him turn up, but there was something about denying Ravioli this opportunity to leave wherever he had holed himself up now, that would not sit right with the fellow. So Bobby would grin and endure it, how bad could it be? It wasn't as if Ravi was a rude or unkind person. At the Mansion he'd always meant well, he just... well, Bobby didn't know the most about autism but Ravi had always been a bit of an odd duck. How much did he attribute to a mental health condition, and how much did he have to write off as "just plain weird?" Overall, it wasn't something worth getting worked up over.

Though Bobby would be a lot happier when the paper manipulator actually arrived. Sheesh, he didn't need updates every 2 minutes. It was kind of overkill. Bobby just replied to such texts with things like "cool" or "no worries", and got on with his people watching and ice cream eating. When that was all done with it almost felt like waiting on a particularly lame date, which made the ice mutant seriously hope someone else would come along and make this more than a gruesome twosome.

Then Ravi turned up and, well, there was that awkward moment that manifested where they made eye contact and Bobby thought: Oh shit. This guy is dressed like a colour blind tourist and he's heading my way. People are going to know that we know each other. His street cred was going to plummet. The cute guy with the ball was going to make all kinds of assertions, and "a cute hipster with great taste in scarves acting as a carer for the disabled of New York" was not the worst it could be. Worst would be... getting caught up in the uncannily tall man's hug and people thinking they were a couple on a beach date. Time to seriously dissuade them of that notion.

"Ravi my man, you made it!" he said, standing up and smoothly going for a fistbump rather than a hug. From what Bobby had learned of Ravioli, he didn't really care for too much physical contact, and for all his elitism the ice mutant did try to make a genuine effort to cater to the needs of those who, er, had needs. What this guy needs is someone to dress him. "I've been out and about, you should get out more and you know it." The ice mutant returned to sitting on his bench, offering Ravi his personal space on the towel he had thoughtfully brought along. It was all very textbook correct, but it wasn't entirely natural, almost like watching a commercial for tourism in North Korea. Bobby forced himself to look away from those eye-sore socks that really belonged in an 80s music video or a furnace, before saying "this is just a relaxation thing. Have ice cream, watch the world go by, that sort of thing. I might go for a bit of a swim in a bit but hey, what's the rush right? So how've you been anyway? And... er..." Bobby squinted over his sunglasses at the man's bag, "did you bring paper to the beach with you? You know it'll get wet in the sea, right?" Which was generally how water worked, but he wasn't sure this had occurred to the man.

PM
^
Ravi Doyle
 Posted: Sep 8 2017, 07:42 PM
Pagemaster
Thirty AGE
145 POSTS
Unaffiliated
CLASS 3

Bobby was not classified as one of Ravi’s friends, not that the paper-bender felt as if many fell within that category, but the pair were on friendly enough terms given the proximity of their living quarters, well prior to Ravi’s semi-forced reminder that he room could have been used for a new student rather than the bum of an engineer who was basically using the mansion for its free amenities. It was a true enough statement, which caused the paper-bender to finally move out into the world, on his own, and felt disconnected to the world he had created and lived within for much of his life. The Institute had given him much more than he could have initially thought, his abilities were mostly passive in their application and while there was some changes in the past couple of years, the active portion of his powers were severely limited when compared to his peers, even those younger than him like Bobby, whose natural inclinations to active powers made them more proficient than the wood manipulator could ever dream to become. Without wanting to fixate too much of his own inadequacies, Ravi shifted his thought process away comparing mutagenic abilities and onto the things he could understand, such as the lack of romantic underpinnings when it came to being asked to hang out at the beach. There could have been nothing about the beach that could evoke anything other than platonic feelings between two people, it was too crowded to be intimate and much too sandy to get too comfortable; it was the perfect place to go out with others as it caused so little confusion like dinner at fancy restaurants or movie theatres. Those locations were minefields of potential interest and they did not make the Utah native comfortable when exploring acquaintanceships.

“I did make it, sorry for taking so long I hit some traffic along the way. I would have figured I would have been the last to arrive to what seemed like a group conversation, not the first to arrive. Are you expecting anyone else?” Ravi did not mind if it were just the two of them, there was enough that he did not know about Bobby to keep conversation going long enough for it to be considered polite. As the man make mention of the fact that Ravi had said that he was failing at being more outgoing, it made sense that Bobby followed up his statement with his own sentiment that wanted him to also get out more. Nodding, he looked over to the ice mutant “I am aware, but it is so hard to go out alone. Too many variables that I do not feel comfortable confronting on my own. It is hard living so far away from the Institute, there I had a routine that forced me to interact with people and get out of my room but out here, I can just go to work, grab groceries or order take out, and be in my apartment all night without any interruptions.” He added factually, as if there was nothing to be debated about his observation and how it failed at meeting his needs for human interaction outside of work. Warren was a good friend, hiring Ravi after seeing the poor conditions he was working with at his former engineering firm, and they even shared some secrets about each other, probably one of the closest people in Ravi’s life, and the angelic beauty provided all sorts of social interaction especially when Ravi was baking him desserts in an attempt to make the perfect brownie. “Plus side, I’ve not had a single intruder nor explosion in the past six months… I think it may even be safer without the laser security system that’s built into the front lawn” Ravi joked quietly, talking only loud enough for the other mutant to hear him. It was not a common occurrence for a security system to be more impressive than most maximum-security prisons.

As the younger mutant explained the purpose of the beach trip, Ravi flattened out his beach towel as smooth as possible before resting his outstretched legs upon the thicker cloth which was only acceptable in its use on a beach, otherwise the paper-bender would find it too coarse for normal use. “I have been pretty good, just finished a couple raids that my guild was struggling with and I am really loving my work at Worthington Industries; Warren has done an amazing job to make certain that I am both taken care and feel very welcome. Ravi seemed to beam with pride as he spoke about his employer, so few seemed so willing to work around his unique approach to the world but Warren made it a priority to ensure that the paper-bender’s needs were met. “I am uncertain if you were ever around for my compulsive baking but I think I have created the perfect brownie after sixteen batches of trial and error. I do not think those on diets like me at work, they seem to avoid me when I brought in so much dessert, but Warren enjoyed them. I do not understand how he ate so many of them and continues to have perfect abdominal muscles, metabolism seems like a lottery when it comes to the genetic component. Ravi was in good shape, he still found it necessary to work out a minimum of four times a week, but his muscle definition was not on par to that of those in the X-Men or Warren.

With the wind crossing over the sandy dunes of the beach, it knocked over Ravi’s backpack which probably gave merit to the ice mutant’s comment about bringing paper to the beach. “I did, but one should always be prepared… plus the backpack is completely waterproof once sealed, so even if we have to take it into the water, as long as I latch the top I will be able to utilize it. Not everyone has the ability to just be amazing without a ream of printer paper at all times. Ravi’s voice attempted to convey his sarcasm, mutants like Bobby were able to manipulate the full potential of their abilities without having to bring along additional supplies. “So how is your ice cream? Also, why does that volleyball player keep looking over here? Is he a friend of yours?” People watching was, at this point in his life, almost a professional sport; Ravi found it easy to fixate on his surroundings to ensure that there was nothing of potential danger at first because of his status as a mutant but it magnified when he came to terms with his sexuality. “He probably is questioning why you’re wearing a scarf in the middle of the September heat, it may look nice but it is very impractical.”

Was Ravi being too blunt again? Bobby would tell him.

word count: 1144

This post has been edited by Ravi Doyle: Sep 17 2017, 03:28 PM
PMAOL
^
Robert Drake
 Posted: Sep 15 2017, 09:25 AM
Iceman
Twenty Three AGE
17 POSTS
X-Men
CLASS

Was he expecting anyone else? Not really. Hoping, on the other hand... the ice mutant put on his best smile, it came easily and naturally to the fellow. "I don't know if anyone else's gonna show. No worries either way, right? I'm here, you're here... and that's the main thing." What he wouldn't give for some smooth talker to come and listen to Ravioli.

All in all Ravi's life sounded as boring as it was when he was at the Mansion. Without anyone to pander to him he typically shut himself out and did his own thing, which didn't offend but wasn't going to make him all that memorable either. Bobby couldn't imagine not being at the Mansion, something that could be an issue in itself if he really thought about it but hey, he wasn't the part robot who made sixteen batches of brownies to get the subjective "perfect" one.

There was a brief intermission as Bobby pondered fondly on Warren and his musculature, there was definitely a lot of truth in that. A lascivious grin crossed his face and he ran his hand across his jawline, eyes roving back to the man with the ball as Ravi talked even more. It didn't seem right to talk about men with Ravi, it was like introducing porn to a small puppy. You don't know if they'll ignore it, pee on it, or lick the pages.

"A raid's a gaming thing right? You're not actually raiding real places." Once that nerd culture was validated Bobby relaxed a little, trust Ravi to end up as part of a grand bank robbery because he thought they were LARPing.

"Ravi, you can't take your paper into the sea if you go swimming!" he exclaimed, aghast at the idea of Ravi, orange socks and all, simply wading into the water with his backpack slung over both shoulders like a schoolboy. What did he expect to happen in the water, a shark attack? Look out, my folded crane will stop you! Jesus. Bobby tried not to sound exasperated but intonation didn't mean much to the other man it would seem. "If you wear your bag into the sea it'll look weird and draw attention. You'd just have to leave it here and if anything did happen - which is totes unlikely - I'd deal with it with my awesome powers."

At the mention of the man playing volleyball, Bobby looked from Ravi and his socks to the fellow in question. He wore a smile on his face, though he schooled it to something less lecherous when the man looked his way. Still smiling a little, Bobby said "Oh, we don't know each other yet but we will soon. He's probably judging the scarf but it looks great and it's not like I get warm, so..." Bobby adjusted it for dramatic effect, knowing he looked great as usual. Remembering that he wasn't supposed to be talking Boi with the man, Bobby instead opted for leaning back on his bench and watching the volleyball game as it resumed. The guy was kinda cute, one of the better players in the group by the looks of it, and having a good time as well. Happy people were just more attractive, it was an established scientific fact. Or Bobby felt like it should be so he claimed it as such, because that was his truth.

"Alright I've relaxed enough." Bobby hopped to his feet and removed his scarf, dropping it on the bench dramatically. "Wanna go for a swim? Just... without your bag...?" if he wanted to take his paper into the water Bobby might have to seriously reconsider their hanging out.

PM
^
Ravi Doyle
 Posted: Sep 17 2017, 03:30 PM
Pagemaster
Thirty AGE
145 POSTS
Unaffiliated
CLASS 3

Ravi thought highly of Bobby, the ice mutant seemed like a good person who was more than willing to work with the paper-bender as well as may have invited a group of people out and with only Ravi having shown up decided against cancelling whatever the day would have included. It was kind of him to be so considerate, although the paper-bender doubted that the younger, shorter mutant was exactly pleased with having one-on-one time with the awkward, six-four mutant; if Ravi had learned anything during his tenure at Xavier’s was that people would go out of their way to avoid or be nice to him, fearing that because of his difference that they would be held to different standards than when dealing with just a neurotypical mutant. “Well, if you insist I will stay and do my best to enjoy the day despite the sand. It is a feeling thing, like the way it feels against my skin is semi-irritating, hence the long, orange socks.” Maybe the explanation was not necessary but Ravi often felt people better understood him if he explained aspects of his choices, rather than just assuming that they understand the overstimulation that comes with being autistic. Maybe it would better show the willingness to try new things and the level of social deprivation he was living with since leaving the Institute; people were not as friendly, or even fake friendly, as they were back at the Mansion, there was nothing that truly united them as a community as living around mutants did, and it was a difficult transition. Ravi was surviving, but survival was not thriving as he had done before.

Bobby seemed a little confused when asking about raiding, needing some clarification in order to make sense of Ravi’s rambling. “Yes, I do not think I would do well with real-life raiding; no healers and I would not be okay with strangers touching me with foam swords in order to best me in some sort of make belief combat.” Hopefully the ice mutant enjoyed the attempt at a joke, combining some nerd humor with how he felt about touch from other people and weird materials. “If you’d ever want, I could introduce you to the Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game genre; I am certain that I know at least a handful of players for most of the massive games, so even if we do not end up playing together, you would have someone to help teach you the ropes.” It should not have been too forward of a gesture, but people were often weirded out by the willingness that Ravi had to help them with things, even indirectly. Maybe it was the perceived desperation of the request to help, it was hard to tell how others functioned when dealing with him, so Ravi just did his best to remain positive while remaining at an arm’s length.

As the conversation turned to the backpack, Ravi felt his cheeks redden; Bobby meant well and was doing his best to ensure that there was no social othering happening for Ravi but his words were not as pleasant as he may have initially thought. Ravi was aware that his habits were not the normal, that there was something constantly weird about the way he did things when compared to people who did not worry about being overstimulated or who had to take precautionary measures when trying out a new restaurant. Nothing about Ravi’s life was normal, it was all weird, and while Bobby probably did not mean to use a word that Ravi had been associated with for so long as an insult, it stung a little. It would only add to the issue if he reacted strangely to the situation, so instead of doing a verbal repetition, the Utah native tapped one finger into the palm of his hand in a repetitive rhythm while trying to keep looking in Bobby’s direction, not so much meeting his eyes but that was something people just accepted, generally. “I know I cannot take the backpack into the water, however I would like to counter that I bring in the event of something unforeseeable happening; like a mugging or the arrival of those deplore friends of humanity. Something that would require immediate action so that I do not do what I did as a child, sitting on the sidelines and watching the better mutants take care of issues while I was charged with reading a conveniently placed manual about some form of archaic technology.” Bobby’s age was far enough from his own that they pair did not interact in the Danger Room while Ravi was being taught to use his abilities and how humiliating it was to know that his inclusion was to ensure that those in charge felt good about treating the different child the same as everyone else. It was good intentions, most were, but it only reinforced that Ravi’s usefulness was conditional as was most interactions with him.

As Ravi spoke about the other man, it seemed that the ice-cold mutant was developing a crush for the volleyball player; there was a physical attraction that the man had, but other than that, how was one to gauge shared interests and compatibility at such a distance, were those not huge identifying variables for successful interaction and dating? “The scarf is used to draw attention to yourself? I know it served no functional purpose given your talents but, I would have assumed there was more application of the item than gathering the attention of potential lovers.” Were he not under scrutiny for bringing his backpack, Ravi would have jotted down the usefulness of wearing unusual clothing to gather potential dates. It seemed odd that an article of clothing could have such an effect on another person, but Ravi was not the most knowledgeable about social interactions in general but especially those within the romantic realm.

Uncertain on how to move forward in the conversation, Ravi moved his attention away from the Iceman and toward the volleyball game that Bobby’s interest was playing, there were some technical errors that the players were committing especially in terms of form, but the group seemed to be enjoying themselves and that was the purpose of all games outside of a truly competitive atmosphere. Maybe not being the best was generally acceptable for them in this arena, it was not as if there was something aside from time at stake during their match. None seemed to have anything more sour than a neutral expression while they played a few rounds, and Ravi lost himself in the continued rhythmic poking of his palm and the game; were it not for Bobby speaking up, Ravi probably would have sat in silence for the entirety of their game. “We can swim, I’ll just have to put something on real quick.” Digging into his backpack, Ravi pulled out water shoes which was a misnomer as they looked more like socks than shoes. Pulling off his bright orange socks, sandals, and shoes, placing them within a pouch in his bag, Ravi pulled on the gray shoes so that he would not be in direct contact with the sand at any point. “Shall we?” Ravi asked as he slowly moved toward the shoreline; he probably would not be in the water too long but he had come prepared for some swimming in the ocean. He just hoped that no one took his backpack while they were swimming, they held all of his electronics and it was generally a really nice one.

Picking up his speed, Ravi started jogging toward the water “Last one in is a rotten egg” He called back at the younger mutant, a bit of joviality was probably for the best in this situation.

word count: 1292

PMAOL
^
Robert Drake
 Posted: Sep 25 2017, 06:54 AM
Iceman
Twenty Three AGE
17 POSTS
X-Men
CLASS

It seemed like a shame to not be interested in gaming, not because Bobby wanted to waste hours of his time pretending to be a magic elf who shot fire out of his ass, but because Ravi was just so naïve and enthusiastic about the whole nerdtastic adventure that disappointing him was a little awkward. Oh well, not everyone could be into the whole gaming thing. Wasn’t it all just make-believe? Whether It was foam swords or behind a screen? Whatever, Bobby wasn’t an expert, it was just that it was all imaginary. And it wasn’t as if it was interesting imaginary, like… Halo or some other fun shooting game. It was all swords and sorcery and undersexed teens pretending to pull with buxom blue-skinned elves or whatever the hell it was they did in their basements.

" I’ll bear that in mind,” was his diplomatic answer, and he was pleased with his response. He used his computer for only a couple of things, none of which he thought would go over well with the paper manipulator. Needless to say, games would not be one of those things.

Ravi fretted some more about his damn bag and the inevitability that they would get pounced if they didn’t keep an eye on it at all times. Sheesh, what was this paper made of, gold spun from the Queen of England’s asshole? Nobody cared about a bag of paper. And nobody was going to pick a fight with a bunch of guys going for a swim. If they did they would answer to Bobby, no need for the Pagemaster to get himself involved. He’d probably get in the way anyway. "Ravi Ravi Ravi… you don’t need your bag. You don’t need to fight anyone. We’re going for a swim, we’re not breaking into some prison or something. And if anything did happen, I’d deal with it. Yeah? So calm your tits.” Bobby shrugged out of his clothes, shoes and socks and jeans and jacket and tshirt plopping atop his scarf so he was clad in just his underwear, which of course were fashionable icy blue boxer shorts. Hands on his hips, Bobby went on, "I don’t need a scarf to attract anyone.” He puffed his chest out a bit and made a very mature, pointed effort to not look at Ravi’s feet, because what on earth were those. Sea socks? What even? But again, the man seemed to be quite pleased with himself and if he was such a big pansy when it came to touching sand, well… apart from being in the completely wrong place for such an aspiration, he was doing a fair job of avoiding said sand. Ravi toddled off towards the water first and Bobby tried not to roll his eyes before he followed, though he did shake his head a little. And after a moment of deliberation he took his pile of clothes and dumped them atop the man’s bag, just to hide it. There was probably just paper and special socks in there but there was no need to risk someone stealing it.

"Oh no, I’m a rotten egg,” Bobby declared half heartedly as he was indeed second to the water, though he hadn’t actually put in the effort to make it feel competitive. He splashed his way in with no reservations, and it didn’t take him long at all to get to that point in the water where it went over your hips and was super chilly. The ice mutant didn’t mind this of course, all in all it felt rather nice, and once he was that far in it was easier to flop onto his back and float.

With the sun on his face and the cold water beneath him, Bobby was probably not going to be able to swim without looking extremely odd in the next coming months, which was a shame. He’d be restricted to the Mansion instead but it wasn’t really the same. Right then though he could, and with Ravi around he wouldn’t even look like the strangest person on the beach. "Feeling the chill yet?” he asked with an indolent smile. He let himself sink into the water to get himself completely wet before he resurfaced, though as he did the man realised something. "I didn’t bring a towel.” Drat. "Maybe Mr. Volleyball there has something he can rub me down with.” Ah well, he was committed to the sea now so he enjoyed it anyway, paddling in a more sensible manner and treading water that went to about his chest. He wasn’t particularly a water baby but he did enjoy a good swim from time to time mostly because large bodies of water tended to be cold, and called to some innate, primal instinct that Bobby figured was related to his mutation in some symbolic way.

As he was paddling in his own happy space, the volleyball landed not too far from him with a plop, and he looked from the ball to the person responsible for tossing it. It was the group of guys and gals from before of course, and Bobby grinned lasciviously as he waded over to the ball to pick it up.

@alex

This post has been edited by Robert Drake: Sep 25 2017, 06:54 AM
PM
^
Ravi Doyle
 Posted: Oct 23 2017, 06:47 PM
Pagemaster
Thirty AGE
145 POSTS
Unaffiliated
CLASS 3

Ravi often found human interaction to be difficult; animals were rather forward about their wants and needs but humans relied heavily on contextual conversation to be consistent enough for him to easily know what they wanted or needed. Bobby, along with many people Ravi interacted with, used idioms and figures of speech to get meaning across to others; Ravi had learned many commonly used phrases in order to better navigate the difficult social world that did not come as easy to him as it had so many others and did his best to remain as clear as possible in order to ensure there was no miscommunication. “I have not worked out enough on my chest for that to react, and my chest remains rather calm…” His voice trailed off as he looked down, trying to decipher the meaning behind the phrase, a confused look overcame his face as he slowly tried to put together context clues; “Are you suggesting that I remain calm in this conversation, because out of the two of us you seem the more agitated about the backpack, one may even say heated.” Ravi was not certain if the ice mutant enjoyed puns, but it caused the Utah-native to laugh at his own choice of words. “I will leave my backpack, and I do not hope that there would be reason for us to enact out abilities but there has been weirder situations in my life.” Ravi hopefully had some connection with the icicle about the awkwardness and poor timing of incidents happening around superpowered individuals, hell there had been a time when Ravi had casually walking in a park when he was cornered by the Friends of Humanity. These things were never planned nor considerate of the wants and needs on those who did their best to protect those who could not protect themselves.

With further clarification, Bobby only compounded the confused that surrounded the scarf; having first used as some sort of mating ritual to draw the attention of another and then following but followed it up with a statement about not truly needing it, was such a statement to defend the ego of the other mutant or was he contradicting himself? Iceman seemed like the kind to be proud of himself, and after looking over the body of the man, he seemed to keep his musculature well enough defined; maybe it was a pride thing, as the other man seemed to toss his clothing to the ground before following the paper-bender into the water, with much less enthusiasm than the Utah-native. For this being some sort of relaxation thing, Bobby seemed rather picking about what was and was not acceptable in such a setting which seemed to nullify the purpose of relaxation. Whatever the reasoning, Ravi tried to push such thoughts out of his head as he entered the less than warm water; the warm atmosphere of the day gave a false sense of warmth to the water and while it was semi-refreshing to be instantly cooled down in the September heat, the lack of movement made the water feel as if it was growing increasingly cold. “I am, maybe we should play some games or swim around; I am generally a lap person but that seems in opposition of the purpose of a relaxing swim.” Part of his talking was to think out loud, hopefully the other mutant would not see such as a means of adding to his awkwardness. Aware of the socially accepted norms about interacting with unknown children, playing games with the majority of those in attendance was not a possibility, so what were the pair supposed to do?

The plop of something hitting the water drew the paper-bender from his thoughts, seeing a volleyball landing in the water not too far from Bobby, who seemed more than happy to paddle over to it and pick up the ball; was this an invitation to play with them or something else? It was hard to read without any overt contextual clues and as such, Ravi remained quiet as he watched the ice mutant. It was to be a learning moment, maybe, if Ravi could read the nonverbal ques that were being exhibited by both sides. The man wanted to ask a question, but it would break the natural development of what was unfolding and that would only taint any learned results. Maybe finding a potential mate was not as difficult as the television made it seem, which was focused on heterosexual relationships that comprised almost the entirety of the population, ranging from eighty-eight to ninety-eight of the population depending on the sample size and survey. Those relationships should have been the easiest to begin and endure, as there was a high population to build intimate relations with whereas Ravi found himself in a minority within a minority; his combination of brown skin, mutant abilities, queerness, and lacking social skills made it difficult for him to have productive first meetings with many. It was a challenge but honestly Ravi only really sought out someone to be in close contact with in a non-sexual manner, for the time being. Cuddling was often his favorite activity, Fantasy had her moments where she would entertain such a thought, but generally the paper-bender ended his evenings with a pillow between his arms.

There was no real danger in intently watching Bobby interact with a potential mate, right?

word count: 901

PMAOL
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

OPTIONS REPLY NEW TOPIC START POLL

Affiliates